• It is basically and complicatedly the best board game I have every played and I have played like 6 board games

It is was made by eagle games in 2002 back when they made games that didn’t completely suck like War! Age of Imperialism and The American Civil War.

It is definitely part of the axis and allies family of war games with plastic pieces and area movement.

The main appeal of the game is the advanced combat and campaigning system and extremely developed political system

The game handles 2-7 players with each turn representing a month. There are eleven different scenarios dating from 1796-1820. You can play a Team game where it is the French vs the allies, or and Empire game which is a free for all. In Empire there are 3 levels of victory and 3 levels of defeat.

I just finished a yearlong Empire game (12 turns) it took a little over five hours were I was France and the 5 other countries (I had annexed Prussia a few turn back) decided to attack me, it was October though and December through March is considered winter during that time all units move as if they were force marching which prohibits the movement of artillery.
    With out their big guns to support their waves of reg infantry and reg cav I was able to hold out until April when the game ended and I scored a major victory ( second to only a total victory) while Great Britain and Russia scored minor victories.

I know Imperious Leader has played this game because he used the ownership markers for his Napoleonic War A&AV

• The problem with this game though is their is very little support for it unlike A&A which has tones of websites dedicated to it.
    There are no stratagy articles, every tactic and stratagy we use is made from scratch by my friends and I, right now I am working on a comprehensive stratagy guide that I would post on this website if anyone in interested.

The orginal rules are writen poorly and some don’t make anysense while others are counterhistorical. This is corrected by The Charge the Guns rule varition some guy wrote which me and my friends play and are very gratefull for.

More info can be found on wikipedia and Board Game Geek. Their is also a fourm on the eagle games website, but nobody posts there. It is out of print so if you have the oppertunity to by it i would, cept it is is going to cost some coin.
    I got it for $70 in 04 but just saw it is going for $200 on Ebay.

Mainly I was just wondering if anyone esle played this

• I got that thing all sealed up with pieces still on sprues. I even ordered extra sets of pieces.

I played the game but the combat system is broken and the pieces are too large. The colors of the pieces are too vibrant and i prefer to use risk pieces.  On BGG the have a file that fixed the combat system if im not mistaken.

• Have you ever played the Charge the Guns variant

It is a total revision It  makes the game a lot better

• Just did a search on EBay for Napoleon In Europe. The game is rare based on the asking prices.

• Its not worth it. The only reason why its got those prices is because of plastic piece junkies who never seen a Napoleonic version of AA…except its hardly AA.

If somebody made a WW1 with plastic bits it would sell like hotcakes and be at the same price on ebay as NIE if not more.

• yah if its over 90 bucks it is probably not worth buying it, but it is a pretty fun game, and with the ctg rules it at the very least feels realistic

IL, have you read the charge the guns rules, it fixes alot of the problems with the original game

• I missed these NIE threads way back in the day.

With the total re-write of CTG NIE last winter, we’ve been playing it often.  Maybe 10 times this year.

Most up to date info about CTG NIE is at http ://dartagnan.us/NIE/.  Also it is supported, rules wise, by me.  That website has my email address.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m