• I can easily tailor my expansion map for Bulge and remove the extra stuff and number the hexes. It will take time to do this …probably no earlier than sunday. Ill email it when its done.

• Dear Frimmel,
    I appreciate the time you took to elaborate on the Allies strategy. I have used it to good effect. Thanks for your thoughtful plan.

• Has it gotten you any wins or simply not got you slaughtered?

edit:
    What has Germany been doing to counter?

• Dear Frimmel,
    In response to your query,Yes, I had one win so far with this strategy. Germany only needed one good die to win by eliminating the last unit in the town just west of Bastogne. But it was not to be. I think if I was Germany, I would have concentrated my forces more. With the loss of initiative that Germany suffered in this last game, they seemed confused as to whether or not to attack north or south. This divided effort I think led to their defeat. It was close. A real squeaker for the allies. It helps to blitz the allied tanks off the reinforcement boards to penetrate the ZOC thrown up by German penetration. Thanks for asking.

• What was Germany’s supply situation? Also was Germany doing a bunch of blitzing of their own? Did the game go the whole eight turns or did Germany get stuck without being able to re-supply and “lost?” Did you kill a lot of German trucks?

• Dear Frimmel,
    The Germans lost on turn 8 because time ran out. They were also down to one available truck to bring in fresh supply as two others were stuck in ZOC. All others were destroyed by air power. That was fun! It might have been possible for Germany to win on turn 9 as supply could stilll be brought to the front, however allies were blitzing towards Malmedy from Eupen in an attempt to reduce the Victory points. In all my other games as the allies the battle was over by turn 4 or 5 and so this was much more interesting.

• Just a thought as a strategy opportunity:
    Since aircraft combat precedes ground combat and since the allies have an overwhelming superiority in airpower - it seems that it would be advantageous for the allies to tank blitz to form an unreatreatable ZOC especially at the end of turn 4 and following. In this way, they start turn 5 with the offensive against any German hex with ZOC issues. Before the German ground forces can attack the allied hex causing the ZOC problem, the allies are saying “bombs away!” Even though the German player may counter with their own airforce, it is stilll 12 planes against 3 planes and the remaining allied units get to pummel the German ground forces.

• Over on the Avalon Hill boards there is discussion of Allies blitzing. I would think that as long as it has the payoff of cutting off Axis retreat it is a good idea. We haven’t had a lot of oppurtunities for Allied blitzing so far in our games but getting behind the enemy is usually a sound strategy.

I don’t think you would want to do that if it might create a gap in the line or reduce a stack in a VC too far. Just like Germany the Allies can’t stick their nose out to far without getting punched in the face. Overextended units are vulnerable. But I think the risk is probably worth it if it cuts off retreat and re-supply.

• Just saw your article on Axis strategy posted by djensen.  I agree with you 100% on the need to take towns and not worry about piececount. Thanks for all your work on the article!

• I’m not advocating reckless use of your forces but this game requires player’s to take more risks than other A&A games. I think that Revised lends itself more to a “What will I lose” thinking while BOTB needs to be “What will I gain” thinking. I’ll admit that is a very subtle difference and perhaps simply one of semantics.

In BOTB things don’t have a cost measured in IPCs so a unit’s value or expendability becomes much more situational. You are buying things (ground and time) with the units and you must know when to pay the price and not be afraid to do so.

Put another way, be more concerened with the sure paths to defeat than the uncertain paths to victory. Playing in ways that only preserve your forces is more a sure path to defeat in BOTB than it is in Revised, Pacific and Europe.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m