Must all invasions be declared first before attacking?

• I’m playing a game with some friends right now, and I have always played that you must declare all your invasions first before determining the outcome of any battle since it states in the rules that “all combat movement is considered to take place at the same time.” My friends on the Axis side aren’t convinced it means that you have to declare all invasions at once.

Another section in the rule book seems to make it clear to me that the way I have played is correct - “Combat in each space takes place at the same time, but each affected territory or sea zone is resolved separately and completely before resolving combat in the next contested space. The attacker decides the order of spaces in which each combat occurs.”

The rule seems clear to me that you can’t resolve one battle and then base your decision of where to invade next off of the outcome of that battle. But I realize that the rulebook doesn’t distinctly say “you must declare all invasions before resolving them” or something like that. I realize the last sentence in the above quote might cause confusion too.

So can anyone help me by elaborating a bit on this rule so it makes more sense? Or, if I’m wrong about it, tell me why?

• Welcome to the forum.
    You are right. All moves which end in combat (or any to avoid combat) are decided, then you roll one at a time, your choice in which order.

Except: Strategic Bombing Raids are first.
    Then, any Amphibious Attacks, preceded by any naval battle that is necessary to clear the Sea Zone for the Transports to unload.
    Lastly, any other  attacks.

Once all declared attacks and their respective moves into the Hostile Territories or SZ to initiate those attacks, are done, the results done, you move any units that have not moved, in the phase called: Non Combat. This includes landing any planes that survived Combat.

That is about it. Hope that helps.

• @Die:

I’m playing a game with some friends right now, and I have always played that you must declare all your invasions first before determining the outcome of any battle since it states in the rules that “all combat movement is considered to take place at the same time.” My friends on the Axis side aren’t convinced it means that you have to declare all invasions at once.

Another section in the rule book seems to make it clear to me that the way I have played is correct - “Combat in each space takes place at the same time, but each affected territory or sea zone is resolved separately and completely before resolving combat in the next contested space. The attacker decides the order of spaces in which each combat occurs.”

The rule seems clear to me that you can’t resolve one battle and then base your decision of where to invade next off of the outcome of that battle. But I realize that the rulebook doesn’t distinctly say “you must declare all invasions before resolving them” or something like that. I realize the last sentence in the above quote might cause confusion too.

So can anyone help me by elaborating a bit on this rule so it makes more sense? Or, if I’m wrong about it, tell me why?

Welcome to A&A.org.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m