• Customizer

Noticed the following debate regarding the relative distances from Berlin to Paris and Moscow respectively on BGG:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1191350/new-map

Almost every game of this type makes Russian tts much bigger than in the west, leaving Paris and Moscow roughly equidistant from Berlin in tts, when geographically Moscow is almost twice as far away.

My solution has always been, predictably, rail movement: Germany should be able to rail units from Berlin to Moscow in a single move if it controls both capitals and an unbroken chain of tt between them. This is how units moved in that age; forcing units to travel by marching or driving under their own steam has always seemed the most obvious and unrealistic flaw in these games, and I’m still disappointed 1914 didn’t take the chance to correct it.
    VEjpg.JPG

• Here is another vote for rail movement rules, especially in this game. When playing with rail movement house rules, we found that the game sped up, and that the Central Powers had a balance-of-power weapon; Interior Lines. The shuttling of troops from one front to another is huge.

• My last few games have been with railroad movement (unlimited movement through friendly territory, can’t railroad into or out of combat).  It really changes the strategy of the game and forces you to pay attention.  Last game I thought I was in pretty good shape with A-H, and the next thing I knew every French unit on the board was camped outside Vienna. We hadn’t noticed he had an unbroken line through Europe.  A bad mistake on my part, but one that wouldn’t have mattered without railroad rules.  That said, I like how it makes for a more fluid game.

• '17 '15

And what about planes and ships?Unlimited movement as well? because if one turn = 3 or 6 months,they just can’t do 2 or 3 zones,territories movement.(when the troops are moving from Budapest to Ruhr by train without problem,if they aren’t fighting)

• Ships still move 2 spaces.  Planes move like land units.  Maybe not entirely realistic if you think of a turn as a specific amount of time, but I don’t view it that way.  It’s a board game, not a historical simulation. A  turn is a turn.

• the size of tts represents the strength of its national army. Look how far the CPs went in the east compared to the western front.

For my own game (look in A&A variants) I am thinking about investing in Strategical Movement of units (cost 2 IPC per unit, max 5 IPC per turn-> 2 units per turn) maybe give Germany an advantage (1IPC per unit-> 5 units per turn)

Flash, you are talking about Railmovement in A&A for years, I would like to read your sophisticated rule for my own play. I guess the set up needs to be changed. And where is RM allowed? (Africa,Arabia?)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m