• not sure if i understand this correctly… So which of these examples best relates to the new rule changes in Alpha 3 under AA guns.

Example 1.

2 Fighters fly over a hostile territory, 1 AA gun is defending, it fires 2 of its 3 volleys at the 2 fighters only and not all 3 volleys

Example 2.

2 Fighters fly over a hostile territory, 1 AA gun is defending, it fires ALL of its volleys at the two fighters for a total of 3 potential hits. (overkill)

EDIT: defined tt, made example a bit clearer.

• Figthers attack a TT? a Transport?
    AA guns doesn’t fire at sea… only if the (land) territory is attacked.

That being said. Example 1 fits better. See it as a maximum number of volleys… but you can’t fire more volleys than the number of planes.

So, sticking to you example, say it’s 4 fighters rather that 2… only 3 dice will be rolled (not 4, as before). If less planes than 3*(number of AA), then you roll as many dice as number of planes, no more.

• sorry for the mix up, but i tend to use TT for Transport (caps to define a ship), and tt for territory.

I guess that makes sense, i wasn’t understanding the rule correctly. just got back from drinking a few brews with a friend…

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

This is why using two letter acronymns IS RETARDED.

TRA = TRANSPORT

TER = TERRITORY

• Transports are TRN.  :-P

At least that’s how I’ve always done it.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Either or is good, atleast it’s not that CV BB crap.

How many V’s are in Aircraft Carrier?

Idiots.

• Carrier Vessel?

But I agree with you those BB, CV, etc. confuse me too.

• Maybe someone should make a list of approved forum acronyms?

• Official Q&A

US naval ship class designations and their origins:

BB - _B_attleship, _B_roadside
    CV - _C_ruiser, A_v_iation
    CA - _C_ruiser, _A_rmored
    DD - _D_estroyer, ?
    SS - _S_hip, _S_ubmersible

Broadside battleship, as opposed to a turreted battleship (an early design).

CV, because CA was already taken.

CA harkens back to the days of sail - armored as opposed to wooden.

DD is shrouded in mystery.  Early destroyers were designated TBD, for Torpedo Boat Destroyer, as that was their original function.  The best guess is that when the navy standardized their ship designations (and destroyers had changed their primary mission), no one could come up with a good second letter, so another D was used.

SS is pretty obvious.

Hey, it all makes sense to the military mind!  (I guess.)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Always thought of DD as Destroyer Dreadnaught myself.  BB as BattleBoat.  CA was confusing however.  SS Submersible Ship, CV as Carrier Vehicle.  Dunno, just how I imagined it.

I do like that AA Guns are now pieces and can be taken as casualties.  And they are cheaper.

• TRN comes from the old PBEM games.  Back BEFORE revised we had to play by sending long emails to each other!!  I still have a notebook filled with games…ahh IPM,such simpler times.

• Ok, Ive got 2 questions, one, what does any of this naval lingo have to do with the AA question that, as far as I can tell still hasnt been answered.

and two, Lets say I have 2AA guns and 4 planes attack the territory with them in it, how many shots do I get?

• You get 4 shots.
    You can only get 3x the number of your AA guns, but can never shoot more than the number of planes.

• @Krieghund:

US naval ship class designations and their origins:

BB - _B_attleship, _B_roadside
    CV - _C_ruiser, A_v_iation
    CA - _C_ruiser, _A_rmored
    DD - _D_estroyer, ?
    SS - _S_hip, _S_ubmersible

Broadside battleship, as opposed to a turreted battleship (an early design).

CV, because CA was already taken.

CA harkens back to the days of sail - armored as opposed to wooden.

DD is shrouded in mystery.  Early destroyers were designated TBD, for Torpedo Boat Destroyer, as that was their original function.  The best guess is that when the navy standardized their ship designations (and destroyers had changed their primary mission), no one could come up with a good second letter, so another D was used.

SS is pretty obvious.

Hey, it all makes sense to the military mind!  (I guess.)

Craig, thank you for schooling Gargantua!

anyway, than you all for the clarification responses.

• The new AA gun rules are fantastic. And I haven’t even tried them yet.

Stackable? Nice.

Where do I arrange them? Nice.

Do I have to buy more? Nice!

This is a fantastic new variable that will further deepen the game.

We’re all gonna be ok.

• To build upon that thought… I feel like it has become a viable option to use AA on the front, at just the right moment.

Here’s an example:

I’m Russia. Germany has a pool of mechanized units behind the front lines. Those are precious pieces - the equivalent of a no-dachi. Well, I’d like to bait some of them to come in and die, and put a nick on that blade. So… I place 4, or 5 infantry in the kill zone, with an AA. Ok Germany, you either risk aircraft, or you bring some armor (or artillery) to the fight. Either way, you’re forcing Germany to expend their units that make them dangerous in the first place.

I am not saying this would be a standard operational procedure - but the type of choice you could make with more confidence, as that AA Gun also has to be considered by your opponent as a casualty, so it means they have to bring more force to kill it. But sometimes the difference in Russia being safe for one more turn, or not, is a single fighter, or armor, or tac bomber. Buying one more round might buy you the game… you never know!

And Italy, with their new bomber and a desire to open cans, certainly didn’t want any part of that fight.

I think instead of people looking at what might be lost, people should spend a little time thinking about what might be gained.

Interesting thought.  I used to have to put an armored unit in my large blocking stacks, but you are correct, an AA Gun is equally valid.  Might see more guns now, and by extention, less aircraft.

• I used this tactic in Alpha2.  When Russian lines are shrinking you start to find out you have too many aa guns.  I usually put one out in a slightly larger stack to achieve just what you are saying.  Now that aa guns only shoot at 3 aircraft though I think it will require 2 aa guns to protect 5-6 inf.  (BTW, as an attacker, I wouldn’t worry about 1 extra wound from an aa gun.  4+ on the other hand…)

Russia generally has 3 aircraft.  2 AA Guns in one territory would be a waste, they dont each fire at the aircraft, you get a number of shots equal to three times the number of AA Guns OR one per attacking plane, whichever is less.

So any stack you need to protect from Russia shouldn’t ever require more than one aa gun.

• reverse ur countries. were talking about germ attacking a rus blocker stack.(or italy)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m