• '19 '17 '16

With only the Cruiser bombardment I still get 77% to Germany and 74% with no bombardments. What are you doing differently to me that you are seeing <50%?

• For one I make sure I select “must take territory” then after realizing the bombardments the percentage has came down to 52% for London. The difference is you are running a perfect scenario for Germany, where they keep all surface ships, and all Luftwaffe. I am running it as if they either get to keep 1-2 planes or lose the bombardments, not both.

http://goo.gl/lmb1Gu

I ran that right there and got UK winning 51-53% of the time.  With Must take territory turned off.  Tell me how you are setting up it, I may indeed be wrong myself I just need to see how ;)

• '19 '17 '16

Ah, you said with 5Tacs & 5Ftrs. With no bombardment, 4tacs+4ftrs and must take territory I can get it down to 42%.

A more realistic scenario of 3 tanks, 3ftrs, 5tacs and a cruiser bombardment it is 51%. Rising to 55% with 5 tanks.

• @simon33:

Ah, you said with 5Tacs & 5Ftrs. With no bombardment, 4tacs+4ftrs and must take territory I can get it down to 42%.

A more realistic scenario of 3 tanks, 3ftrs, 5tacs and a cruiser bombardment it is 51%. Rising to 55% with 5 tanks.

Sure playing with the air force even slightly makes large differences. But even at 55% would Germany risk the whole game on that? If they lose then Moscow and London surely stand and allow USA to stop Japan.  If they win it is at a great cost and Russia will still likely stand and once the USA liberates UK on Round 5 then America takes Japan.  So unless Germany gets the luckiest rolls of all time, it’s really not an option

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Frederick:

What fantasy? Italy starts with two destroyers and on R1 Italy saves it’s ipcs. Since you back your med fleet away that a Italian NO +5 ipcs and taking both Southern France and Greece is another +5 ipcs. That’s +10 ipcs saved from I1, +15 ipcs from Italy’s collected income on I1, and with the NO +5 ipcs that’s 30 ipcs which is enough to buy one aircraft carrier, one destroyer, and one sub. On R2 you would fly your fighters to seazone 97 to land on the new aircraft carrier and Germany would fly three fighters to Rome as scrambling protection. Italy also starts with two cruisers, a sub, and a battleship along with the two destroyers. If you united all Italians ships in seazone 97 and place the new ships in the same seazone along with the two fighters you get five fighters, one aircraft carrier, one battleship, two cruisers, three destroyers, and two subs. It’s not fantasy.

Your Italian IPCs that you spent on a navy are now pinned under air cover from the Southern Italy airbase – if the fleet moves out from air cover, it dies. Those German fighters are pinned too – as soon as they move away the Italian fleet dies. The UK never has to attack the Italian fleet to put it out of commission, and in the process ties up a large part of your airforce.

This is assuming that Italy lost NO units on I1 or UK2, and that’s a huge assumption. Realistically your fleet will be two or three units smaller than this. That’s minus one sub and one destroyer on an average game. It’s also an assumption that the UK will not have killed any of your dispersed units that you used clearing the Med, let’s call that minus a cruiser. So that’s three fantasy units right there.

Assuming the UK brings two fighters and a strat bomber into sea zone 97 from London, the Italian fleet (and a big chunk of the German air force) dies right there in sea zone 97 on UK3 85% or so of the time. The UK could bring a third fighter too – 90+%.

And again, still working solely with units present at startup or built on UK2. Placing part or all of a bid in the Med on UK1 makes this even stronger.

But heck, if you are buying fleet like that with Italy, the Allies have already won the game.

Marsh

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Tirano:

As for would I buy 5 Inf over 2 Inf&1 Plane? Absolutely, every time. I see 5 Inf as a MINIMUM buy for UK on turn 1 regardless of German buys. Only way I might consider less is if Germany has left me with the bulk of my navy, in which case I’d consider a Carrier and Tac.

It’s very situational IMO. Fighter plus two infantry is enough of a build to deter Sea Lion because of cost, and it gives you the added bonus of having five fighters there to thwart a G2 strategic bombing (which means you can build more infantry on UK2 if Germany builds transports on G2, instead of spending money to repair your factory). Plus it gets the highly mobile fighter on the board sooner, which means if Sea Lion doesn’t come the fighter gets in the game faster.

If we were just calculating defense against Sea Lion alone though, the five infantry would probably be the way to go. However, there are other factors:

1. It matters what the US is doing – if the US is prepping KGF and Japan is holding off until J4 to handicap the US and give Germany time, fighter plus two infantry. If not, 5 infantry.
    2. It matters whether or not the sea zone 106 transport survived. If it did and you think Sea Lion is on the table, bring those Canadian units to the UK and build the fighter.
    3. It matters how much air power Germany lost killing the Royal Navy. More than one plane? Build the fighter.
    4. If Germany did not secure Normandy on G1 and left Holland light/empty and the sea zone 109 transport survived, take Holland and build the five infantry. Now Germany cannot bring fighters with its strat bombers for strategic bombing.

Marsh

• '19 '17 '16

@Tirano:

But even at 55% would Germany risk the whole game on that?

Short answer is no.

But this is a highly idealised model which assumes no contribution from a G1 build and no scramble. I will generally build a strat bomber G1. I’m starting to think a second TT will be useful too. Either it helps to take Leningrad or the sea lion scenario we are discussing.

The third bomber alone rises the odds to 70%. Still not really enough to bet the game though.

• Very True Simon, Sea Lion even if successful increases allied chances of victory, so unles its 90%+ as Germany, I’m not doing it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m