Wolf's unskilled, on a budget, modest home, custom A&A mods!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I like the round felt dice tray. Most people use the rectangular ones but for some reason I really like the round one.

Battle boards… eh, never cared for those and never used them. I know some people do though. Nice that you printed a custom one though.

• '17 '16

@LHoffman:

I like the round felt dice tray. Most people use the rectangular ones but for some reason I really like the round one.

Ya, I really like the round one too… if you like it that much, the one I have is currently being sold on Amazon.com brand new.  I’ve only had mine for a few months.

@LHoffman:

Battle boards… eh, never cared for those and never used them. I know some people do though. Nice that you printed a custom one though.

I can skip them personally, but you have to remember, I’m in an Axis and Allies void where I live… I’m going to have to teach everyone how to play the game. Having said that, I think Battle Boards help newbies to the genre a better grasp of the unit values and how the attack rounds work.  After you become a vet and know the values by heart, they’re skippable… but like I said, I had one made to help with training new people to the game… and I think the battle strips that come with the new games are terrible.  Hence, I went with a custom board.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Wolfshanze:

Ya, I really like the round one too… if you like it that much, the one I have is currently being sold on Amazon.com brand new.  I’ve only had mine for a few months.

Cool thanks for the heads up. I may check it out.

@Wolfshanze:

I can skip them personally, but you have to remember, I’m in an Axis and Allies void where I live… I’m going to have to teach everyone how to play the game. Having said that, I think Battle Boards help newbies to the genre a better grasp of the unit values and how the attack rounds work.  After you become a vet and know the values by heart, they’re skippable… but like I said, I had one made to help with training new people to the game… and I think the battle strips that come with the new games are terrible.  Hence, I went with a custom board.

I understand that and figured that was the case. I don’t believe that I ever used them, even when starting out… but then again, we had a lot of funny rule interpretations back then too. I would consider making my own to teach beginners also.

• '17 '16

Updated my 1941 map pics with new vinyl map in-play. Here’s some initial setup pics of the 1941 map… ETO:

my1941custommap3.jpg

• '17 '16

1941 PTO:

my1941custommap4.jpg
    my1941custommap5.jpg

• Sponsor

Very nicely done… looks great.

I see you have contributed to the Canadian economy and splurged for those expensive poker chips  (just kidding)  :evil:

• '17 '16

Well I realized they were cheaper than I first thought once I realized the current exchange rate.  :evil:

Besides, you told me on your Youtube Channel to support Canada, so I did.  Also, I ordered some extra 10s and 25s, which are already in-route from Toronto.

I’m very happy with the map results for both 1941 and 1942… I lack the skills and room for a proper bunker, but I was able to get much larger maps that can fit on my largest flat surface, and they roll up nicely into a couple of solid storage tubes I got for safe keeping.

• Sponsor

If you have been rolling it up, what are you doing to keep it flat?

• '17 '16

I picked up a couple of 37" Alvin Ice transparent PVC storage tubes (pic below) to store my 1941 and 1942 maps in to keep them safe.

Since they are totally contained and protected, I roll them map-side-facing-out, so that when I unroll them, if there’s any kind of curve, its a downward one, which quickly flattens in a few seconds.  It might also be the materiel… I know you used Pyrene while I used Vinyl… I don’t know if one is a better choice or not, but I just stuck with Outdoor Banner Vinyl since it seemed to work so well with my earlier battle board project.  When I unroll the map, it has a slight downward curve to the table for a few seconds, then flattens out on its own… I don’t do anything special to get it to lie flat (other than perhaps rolling it map-side-out).

StorageTube.jpg

• '17 '16

Updated my 1942 map pics with new vinyl map in-play. Here’s some initial setup pics of the 1942 map… ETO:

my1942custommap3.jpg
    my1942custommap4.jpg

• '17 '16

1942 PTO:

my1942custommap5.jpg
    my1942custommap6.jpg

• Very nice maps! Looks very clean!
    Vinyl are a great material  :wink:

• '17 '16

Ty, I love my vinly maps… got em stored in map tubes when not in use… I love using these maps over the game boards, it adds so much more to the gaming experience (plus extra room for units, since I do my best never to “chit” units).

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Wolfshanze:

Ty, I love my vinly maps… got em stored in map tubes when not in use… I love using these maps over the game boards, it adds so much more to the gaming experience (plus extra room for units, since I do my best never to “chit” units).

What was the cost of the vinyl? I still use the boards for now, i have some mods to do before im ready for a print.

Also, I hate chits too, unless its aircraft, as they move as a squadron ( i love the look of 20 bombers stacked up with singles muhaha) , land units, who knows where they are going/splitting up, I hate unchipping.

• '17 '16

@siredblood:

What was the cost of the vinyl? I still use the boards for now, i have some mods to do before im ready for a print.

Also, I hate chits too, unless its aircraft, as they move as a squadron ( i love the look of 20 bombers stacked up with singles muhaha) , land units, who knows where they are going/splitting up, I hate unchipping.

My custom 1941 cost about $70 (US) at Fed-Ex Print Shop… pic below showing map and size vs original 1941 board.

My custom 1942 map cost about $90 (US) at the Fed-Ex shop because i modified the size a bit and it is a tad larger… pic below.

my1942custommap2.jpg
    my1941custommap2.jpg

• '17 '16

Oh, and here’s a custom vinyl map setup for play… note its 1942SE… I don’t have Global, but there are maps for printing global as well…

my1942custommap5.jpg
    my1942custommap1.jpg

• '17 '16 Customizer

Looks like a good print, thanks for the data. I still have a month + before im ready to print :(

• '17 '16

Another round of A&A Stickers printed up… more projects in-work…

StickersRound2.jpg

• '17 '16

I know everything is about the current versions of Axis and Allies, but trying to get my younger kids to play A&A, I wondered if they would like the original better than 1941 as a learning tool and intro to the game…

I dug through my attic to find my old A&A Classic only to find it had seen better days… while the box and board were in pretty good shape, 20 years of military moves and over 30 years of aging took its toll on my components… the Styrofoam trays (that I never liked even in the 80s) were simply a poor storage solution for moving about, and the pieces had all been tossed and turned inside the box over the years and the plastic chips had all faded and discolored with age… a lot of my infantry, especially the Germans and Americans for some reason, had apparently undergone serious combat… many cut in two, men missing limbs, most had their gun barrels broken off… stupid useless Styrofoam trays!  I curse you! I also had the original First-Edition rules, which were hugely unbalanced in favor of the Allies with the Commander-in-Chief rules.

Well obviously it wasn’t really in playable shape. I didn’t want to try and get my kids into A&A with what was left of my version of Classic… so… time for some upgrades and refurbishments…

1st, I ordered a bunch of replacement units off of E-Bay (HBG doesn’t really stock much for Classic)… I got all the units back up AT LEAST to original game numbers, and in some cases more (where I remembered nations needing more… like a lot more Russian infantry, more German tanks, more Allied Bombers), next I ditched all the terrible Styrofoam trays, replacing them with more modern plastic storage bins… I chose the Husky 7" bins for the nation trays (and one Husky 6" bin for the accessories… and yes, I know the 6" is bigger than the 7", that’s just what Husky calls them)… and yes, everything fit in the original box (the nation trays all fit on the bottom, I place the board on top of them and the rules/accessories bin on top of the game board)… I also replaced all the chips in the game, ordering plenty of modern grey, green and red chips and placing them in the accessories bin… finally, I got a hold of the 2nd-Edition rules off E-Bay and replaced my 1st-Edition rules.

All-in-all, very happy sprucing up the old original classic game more in-line with my more current versions.

ClassicDeluxe.jpg
    ClassicDeluxeBinsOpen.jpg

• Sponsor

Those look awesome wolf, I would be very interested in getting some of those.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m