I have an idea that relies heavily on high luck, so basically it’s the opposite of low luck games.
During the resolve combat phase, both attacker and defender will roll for all units in the first combat round counting all hits made as usual, however, they will add a new element in their combat sequence called casualty rolls.
The attacker rolls for hits, counts casualties, and rolls that many dice for casualty rolls. Any 1s, 2s, or 3s are applied to units defending @1 or less, or @2 or less, any 4s, or 5s are applied to units defending @3 or less, and any 6s rolled are applied to units defending @4 or less. If no units exist in columns assigned by casualty rolls… defender will choose those casualties for themselves.
Next… the defender rolls for hits, counts casualties, and rolls that many dice for casualty rolls. Any 1s, 2s, or 3s are applied to units attacking @1 or less, or @2 or less, any 4s, or 5s are applied to units attacking @3 or less, and any 6s rolled are applied to units attacking @4 or less. If no units exist in columns assigned by casualty rolls… attacker will choose those casualties for themselves.
Casualties are removed, and the next combat round begins if necessary.
Obviously this idea needs a lot of refinement, but the benefits are many…
- Creates a sense of realism knowing that no unit is safe in combat
- Makes for interesting and shorter games when strong units are being removed more frequently
- Allows defending forces a chance to make a small difference against overwhelming odds
- Replaces the desire to give ships separate AA capabilities knowing their fire can hit diverse units
- Could even make transports and attacking aircraft carriers vulnerable under this system
- Might help prevent fighter stacking for defense, or bomber stacking for offence
- Players still retain a small element of choice when removing casualties, however, combat rounds should go quicker when players are forced to remove certain units.
Though being new to A&A I would say this is gold.
This would prevent me from going in with enough cheap units ground units to survive the defender first round whilst killing em with fighters and what not. Now my precious fighter are too in the dangerzone!
This needs to be tested!