• I would have to say that core concepts are more effective for me.  It is the way I approach the game a country doesn’t have scripted moves but rather responsibilities.  I think that scripted or canned strats don’t factor in bad rolls or your opponents counter measures.  IMHO the only moves that can really be scripted are the R1 moves.  after that the game becomes highly reactionary.  I can’t tell you how many times I have had perfect plans for my next few rounds only to have those plans crushed by an enemy counter measure forcing me back to the drawing board again.  So for me scripts don’t work.

• I definitely think the CSub essays spark thought, and are fairly good for newer players like myself when I first picked up the game.  They give a player food for thought on how to approach the game, and maybe ways to go about coming up with strats of their own.  Sure, once you get better you don’t have to follow everything to a T, but it’s all about ideas and developing your own, with a good kickstart from others,whether it be CSub or from some other source.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

And Jen I do believe that i stated, twice so far in this thread, that those essays are valuable in terms of sparking thought.

What they are nearly useless for though is taking them verbatim and trying them against an experienced player.

That was my initial point (of taking C-Sub with a grain of salt), and remains my consistent point throughout this thread.

Kay kay, musta forgotten you said it earlier in the thread.  When you’re tracking 400 threads a day, it’s hard to remember every point made in them. :)

• Not a problem Jen :-)

Let me sum up a few of my earlier points, in case tehy did not cross over from the original thread, and just so folks understand me…

The C-Sub essays have some good info.  They present ideas that folks may not have considered.  Many of them have some great statisitcal analysis of specific units, and others have some good analysis of specific combat situations you may encounter.  On that last item, it is not so much the specific analysis that is valuable (except of course for the Round 1 analysis, since beyond that too many variables creep in), but HOW to analize that makes them worthwhile.

They are a good jumping off point.

But they are not then end-all and be-all of how to win Axis and Allies.

And, trying to use them as many of them are presented, as a blueprint for what builds and moves to make to achieve victory, is more likely to cause you a lot of grief than it is to be of any real benefit to you or your game play.  Thus, take them with a grain of salt.

• If you are anywhere near Michigan or Ohio, you should play in Crazy’s border battle tournament. I think it is in November.

See who has the better strategy?

Squirecam

• I am in north central North Carolina.  That Tournament is about a 20 hour drive from here…

What’s 20 hours when immortality is on the line???

• And a chance to disprove/insult/embarrass your opponent and his “canned strats.” :-P

I’ll send $2 to your paypal address to see you quash him, any other takers? smile

• Sorry folks…

If Crazy Straw wants a run at me, he knows where to find me… right here, on the forum, where everyone can see the moves and watch whichever side will win, with it recorded for all posterity so long as the site exists :-)

Tournament is over in 2 months, so I should have plenty of time then…

• @Jennifer:

I’ll send $2 to your paypal address to see you quash him, any other takers? smile

In!  I’ll contribute $2 to that account.

And yes, when he arrives I’ll make sure I have a fresh can of something for him.

:-D

• $2 won;t even get me off the Raleigh beltline in traffic in terms of gas.

You want a challenge?

I’ll be finished with the 2-on-2 Tournament in about 2 months (perhaps less…)

You can play me for free right here (well, in the Games part of the forums anyway).

I’ll even move you to the front of the queue…

We’ll use the same rules we have for all of the Tournaments here.

Think you can handle me come late October?  A guy who has been playing Revised for less than a year at that point?  Want to put your strats were your fingers are?  I am willing…

• Oh and the rules are pretty easy…

LHTR 1.3
    Online Dicey (DAAK, Frood, In-Site)
    Blind Bid (handled by DAAK server)
    10 VC or surrender
    ADS
    Moves posted daily  (48 hour default w/o advance notice)
    No Tech
    No NA’s

Just good, old fashioned, hard core gaming.

An expert like you who won GenCon surely can handle some upstart who has been playing less than a year…  :mrgreen:

• Look Switch, here’s the deal:

I posted saying that under the rules I play, these particular strategies are fun and get the job done.

You then danced all over them when you have no idea what you’re talking about.

As the loud mouth guy, it is incumbent on YOU to back up what you’re saying by playing the game under the conditions you have so thoroughly dismissed.

If you can’t play the game for geographical reasons, or health reasons, or fear of plastic, or whatever, then maybe you should tone down your rhetoric before being dismissive of things you don’t understand.

I’m not saying you should drive half-way across the country because your mouth gets you in trouble; I am saying you should keep yourself out of trouble by being more respectful even to those you believe are inferior.  That’s good sportsmanship.

• Eh, I figured as much.

Not willing to go after the best in the world, just the best who are willing to travel to a gaming con…

Offer remains open.

If your strats are good enough to go 5 rounds and win at GenCon, then they allegedly should be good enough to handle me in the same amount of time (or less).

If you insist on travel to settle this, then you get to pay travel expenses, lost wages, etc.

Otherwise… this site is free.  Distance is not a factor.  And we can even start this TOMORROW (since Mech is having technical issues, and I have about 2 weeks left before Round 2 of the Tournament).

So… time to put up or shut up Crazy Straw…  You have officially been slapped in the face with the gauntlet.

• Oh and if as your last post seems to indicate, the C-Sub strats are ONLY valid in time/turn limited games such as GenCon, then you need to do 2 things…

1.  Post said qualifier on your essays
    and
    2.  Admit that I was 100% correct in saying, on a site that is used extesnively for online play, that C-Sub strats do, as I originally posted, need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Or, you can accept the challenge, sign up at DAAK, and we’ll get this game underway…

• Switch, have you noticed that the really good guys don’t post on these forums?

It is because knobs and loudmouths dominate online forums.  The good guys have better things to do than argue with the guys convinced of their invincibility.

You can wrestle with a pig and win, but you’ll just get dirty in the process.  And I KNOW I’m getting dirty in this process, but sometimes you have to remind the pig that he’s a pig and he has to stay in the pen.

I don’t play with guys that are bad sports, and if you talk like you write, then why the heck would I want to play with you?  I already know you’re obnoxious.  I don’t care if I can beat you or not; I know I wouldn’t enjoy playing a game with you unless you cleaned up your act quite a bit.

So, I’ll let you continue to dominate the forum.  See if you can rack up your 6,000th post by the weekend.

But don’t delude yourself: you are not feared, you are scorned.

• 2007 AAR League

the challenge has been issued, the whole damn site is waiting for the response

• 2007 AAR League

i have to dissagree a bit with you there crazystraw……many of us live in smaller towns and are not able to go the the big conventions…but i still consider myself one of the good guys, i started playing online because the only people who wanted to play face to face were young teenagers

• The challenge was refused TC.

Crazy Straw has withdrawn.

You know, CS does not have an account at DAAK or Flames… no online gaming in any of the major forums…

He posts his essays, claims to be some great expert, and when push comes to shove, he claims that I am bullying him when he is the one who took objection to me saying that C-Sub strats need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Well, from this point forward, I know how to classify CS…

All bluster, no substance.

I am leaving the challenge open, just so that when CS comes back in a few months with the next advertisement for Caspian Sub, I can ask him if he is ready to play with the Big Boys  :mrgreen:

You know, no matter how much I have blustered, I have always been willing to put up.  I have played a fair number of games, lost several.  But I have not written over and over about how “great” I am, and then refused to play a game against someone who decided to challenge me on it.  Hell, I am just a noob, who happens to have a pretty darn good record.  But I am not unbeatable…  I am winless against Octo in 2 games, AAjax in 1, and split 1/1 with Bebo.  And that is just since I joined DAAK.  Add in 2 losses to Tri, 2 losses in Classic to Darth, 2 losses in Classic to Avin…

Let me just sum this whole thread up…

Caspian Sub Essays need to be taken with a grain of salt, because they have only been tested face to face and not against online players, and are only known to be valid in time/turn limited games.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m