• Hi,

Two questions regarding naval mines:

Germany has two infantry in Finland and marches them down to an empty Karelia and takes control. At the same time it transports two infantry from Berlin to Livonia. Does Russia get to roll for mines against the transport being that the minefield is adjacent to Karelia which just came under Axis control?

Question 2: The US, still neutral, moves into a sea zone with an Axis naval base. Are mines rolled while it’s still out of the war? My inclination is to think not, but my opponent said “well how do the mines know it’s not an enemy ship?” So here we are.

Thanks

• @McX:

Germany has two infantry in Finland and marches them down to an empty Karelia and takes control. At the same time it transports two infantry from Berlin to Livonia. Does Russia get to roll for mines against the transport being that the minefield is adjacent to Karelia which just came under Axis control?

Yes, Russia rolls mines. The port is not neutralized until after the movement phase.

@McX:

Question 2: The US, still neutral, moves into a sea zone with an Axis naval base. Are mines rolled while it’s still out of the war? My inclination is to think not, but my opponent said “well how do the mines know it’s not an enemy ship?” So here we are.

No, nobody rolls mines against America while they are not at war. Doesn’t really make sense that everybody would give maps of their minefields to the US, but that’s how the rules are.

• Hi McX.  The answer to your first question is yes, Russia would still roll for mines.  All movement is simultaneous so Russia still controls Karelia when the transport enters the sea zone.

On the 2nd question, you’re correct. American ships are safe from mines until the US is at war. I guess the Germans told the captain where the mines were.

• Thanks fellas!

• I thought the Americans could not move out from their coast (with the exception of a single sea tile right outside the coast for warships) before they were at war.

• @AxisMan:

I thought the Americans could not move out from their coast (with the exception of a single sea tile right outside the coast for warships) before they were at war.

That’s the rule for Europe 1940/Global 1940 on the Europe side. In 1914, US ships can move anywhere, but transports can’t be loaded.

• Ah, okay. Reading the rules now, I cannot find anything on that US transports cannot be loaded before they are at war. Where does it say that?

• It’s in the errata/FAQ.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m