Start date second half of 1941

• I’ve been toying with ideas for a start date that combines the beginning of Barbarossa and Pearl Harbor in the same turn.  Assuming 6-month turns, this would sort of split the difference, with the initial push into the USSR at the beginning, and the Japanese attacks toward the end of the turn.  You could just start in 1942, but I like to play out the opening moves of the German drive to the East.  Also, I like to allow the Japanese to either repeat the historical strike on Pearl Harbor, since the 7th fleet won’t get a chance to move, or maybe concentrate their first strike somewhere else.  I‘d combine the turns of certain powers, which precludes some of the can opener tactics, but allows for combined arms for things like D-Day and German reinforcement of the Afrika Korps, without having to spread the transport trip across the Med over multiple turns.

So the turn order would be:

1. Germany, Italy, and Axis Minors (and Vichy France, if applicable)
    2. Russia and Communist China
    3. Japan
    4. Nationalist China
    5. USA, ANZAC, Free France, Britain, and FEC

The US and Russia are assumed to be at full income, and can declare war on turn 1, even if they aren’t attacked.  This means one less thing to keep track of.

Things that need to be ironed out:

1. Should the Germans get a 2-impulse sneak attack?  If they do, I think the Russians need something to balance it out.  Possibilities:
      a. Russian infantry cost 2 IPCs (or maybe even 1) on the first turn only.
      b. Instead of having a fixed deployment, allow the Russian player to redistribute some of  his starting forces, within certain parameters (i.e., must have at least one unit in each territory on the Western border, and can’t stack more than one tank or artillery in the same territory, or something like that).
      c. Something else?  Or just no sneak attack for Germany?
    2. Starting forces and deployments.
      a. Japan would start off controlling French Indochina. 
      b. I’m not sure if there would need to be changes to what is printed on the map in China.
      c. Britan/ANZAC would start off controlling Tobruk.
      d. Vichy territories would be Marseilles, Rio de Oro, Morocco, all of Algeria, and Syria.  Free France would control all other French territories outside of Europe.
      e. Germany would control all of France except Marseilles, plus Yugoslavia, Crete, Holland, Denmark, Norway, Warsaw, and West Poland.
      f. Bulgaria, Romania, and Hungary are all activated.
      g. Italy would control Greece and Corinthe.
      h. Can anyone see anything I’ve missed?
  • Liaison TripleA '11 '10

USA controls Iceland.

Double impulse on Russia , or a blitz rule ( you can attack the next territory if you conquered the last one in a single round of combat). Would simulate rapid conquest.

Put a huge stack east of Moscow.

Setups would have to be totally different.

I would also try to lump Japan into axis turn.  Makes it an axis turn, allied turn kind of game.  And can openers would only be technical.

• Ah, Iceland.  I’d forgotten that one.  Thanks, Gargantua.

Yeah, the setups would definitely have to be different.  I’ve done a bit of research, but haven’t decided on how many real units would represent one game unit yet.

• Everyone seems to forget Canada in the turn order, if at all :( lol

I don’t think there would much difference in the Chinese theatre, but I’m not sure.  Iceland would be under British control, not U.S. control.

• Im fairly sure the US took over occupation of Iceland after Pearl Harbor.

• Well, below is from Wikipedia.  And, as we all know, if it is on the internet, it must be 100% true, or the automated accuracy filters would not allow it  :-D

"After a few failed attempts at persuading the Icelandic government by diplomatic means to join the Allies and becoming a co-belligerent in the war against the Axis forces, the British invaded Iceland on 10 May 1940. The initial force of 746 British Royal Marines commanded by Colonel Robert Sturges was replaced on 17 May by a larger Army force, and eventually 25,000 British troops were stationed in Iceland.

On 7 July 1941, the defence of Iceland was transferred from Britain to the (still officially neutral) United States, by agreement with Iceland, and US marines replaced the British. Iceland’s strategic position along the North Atlantic sea-lanes, perfect for air and naval bases, could bring new importance to the island. The 1st Marine Brigade consisting of approximately 4,100 troops garrisoned Iceland until early 1942 when they were replaced by U.S. Army troops, so they could join their fellow Marines fighting in the Pacific."

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m