If your target is overseas??? I haven’t heard of our boys walking on water…

• it doesnt matter where your fighting, you cant capture squat without the marines. :mrgreen:

• My
    Ass
    Rides
    In
    Navy
    Equipment

• My
    Ass
    Rides
    In
    Navy
    Equipment
    Sir!

• :x can  we get back to the original topic you Corp haters? :x

• Exactly! you would think this was a discussion about earths gravity or something… :mrgreen:

• “Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world”
    Kaiser Wilhelm- one of my personal heros

• which one ?

• Actually their both my heros but the quote came from his "GRAND"son. Yes even though he really didnt get germany in its “day under the sun” and  fired Bismarck… I love his aloofness and imperious attitude.The simple things in life never swayed him … except yachting!  His granddaddy was really the one who set up the empire along with Bismarck and is probably a much better leader but i just like his sons attitude of life.

• @Imperious:

Today is the day when General Tony McAuliffe announced to the German commander: Nuts! during the battle of the bulge as his reply to surrender terms for Bastogne.

I wonder what the german commander said when he got that reply?!

If I recall correctly, it didn’t quite translate.  The meaning was lost.

• “A man that eloquent has to be saved.”

Gen Patton on hearing McAuliff’s reply.

• Here is the sequence of events:

The German statement:

"The fortune of war is changing. This time the U.S.A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Our near Ortheuville, have taken Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hompre-Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.

There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. troops from total annihilation: that is the honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note.

If this proposal should be rejected one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hours’ term.

All the serious civilian losses caused by this artillery fire would not correspond with the well known American humanity.

The German Commander."

–---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But then McAuliffe realized that some sort of reply was in order. He pondered for a few minutes and then told the staff, “Well I don’t know what to tell them.” He then asked the staff what they thought, and I spoke up, saying, “That first remark of yours would be hard to beat.” McAuliffe said, “What do you mean?” I answered, “Sir, you said ‘Nuts’.” All members of the staff enthusiastically agreed, and McAuliffe decided to send that one word, “Nuts!” back to the Germans. McAuliffe then wrote down: “To the German Commander, “Nuts!” The American Commander.”

McAuliffe then asked Col. Harper to deliver the message to the Germans. Harper took the typed message back to the company command post where the two German officers were detained. Harper then told the Germans that he had the American commanders reply. The German captain then asked, “Is it written or verbal?” Harper responded that it was written and added, “I will place it in your hand.”

General Anthony McAuliffe
    taken on December 27th, 1944

The German major then asked, “Is the reply negative or affirmative? If it is the latter I will negotiate further.”

At this time the Germans were acting in an arrogant and patronizing manner and Harper, who was starting to lose his temper, responded, “The reply is decidedly not affirmative.” He then added that, “If you continue your foolish attack your losses will be tremendous.”

Harper then put the German officers in a jeep and took them back to where the German enlisted men were detained. He then said to the German captain, “If you don’t know what ‘Nuts’ means, in plain English it is the same as ‘Go to Hell’. And I’ll tell you something else, if you continue to attack we will kill every goddam German that tries to break into this city.”

The German major and captain saluted very stiffly. The captain said, “We will kill many Americans. This is war.” Harper then responded, “On your way Bud,” he then said, “and good luck to you.” Harper later told me he always regretted wishing them good luck.

• @Imperious:

Actually their both my heros but the quote came from his son. …

Wilhelm I. was the granddad of Wilhelm II. In 1888 there was the “3 Kaiser year”, when Wilhelm I. and his son Friedrich III. died the same year.

• Wilhelm I. was the granddad of Wilhelm II. In 1888 there was the “3 Kaiser year”, when Wilhelm I. and his son Friedrich III. died the same year.

When the German states united as a single German Empire in 1871, Friedrich became heir to the new German monarchy with his father as Kaiser. Never liked by the powerful German Chancellor Bismarck, who distrusted his wife’s liberalism, Friedrich was always kept out of any real position of power throughout his father’s life. By the time his father died in 1888, Friedrich had incurable cancer of the larynx, which had been misdiagnosed by the English doctor Morell Mackenzie (later knighted by Queen Victoria). As a result of the misdiagnosis, surgery that might have cured the cancer was canceled in 1887. When the error was caught, it was too late to operate. Later swelling by the tumor caused the prince to begin to suffocate, and so on February 9, 1888, a tracheotomy was performed and a silver tube was put into the prince’s wind pipe. As a result of this operation, Friedrich was unable to speak for the remainder of his life, and communicated through writing. Friedrich ruled for only 99 days before his death, being succeeded by his son Wilhelm II. Is this three year Kaiser your refering too Fredrich III who rulled for 99 days followed by his son wilhelm II?

Otherwise… so i take it you agree that Wilhelm I and II were good leaders?

• How can you possibly interprete the correction of “genealogy” as a statement on the quality of leadership?

• How can you possibly interpret the correction of “genealogy” as a statement on the quality of leadership

1. Can you answer my question first?
    2. what correction are you referring to? ( yes wilhelm II is the gradson of wilhelm I and your point is?)
    3. why wouldn’t it not be possible you have two great leaders from the same bloodline?
    4. why are you trying to debate my opinion of their leadership qualities? WE can do this… do you want a debate?.. then lets start another thread.
    5. What is your opinion of wilhelm I and II as leaders?
    6. lets not turn this into another one of your stink bombs with the result of another closed topic as the fitting result. play nice!

• where did he even use the word geneology???!!!

• I THINK HE is refering to the fact that Wilhelm II was the son of Frederick III and grandson of wilhelm I, but they are all in fact the ruling family during the entire period of the “Kaiserreich” from 1871-1918. Not quite unlike the Hohenzollern dynasty or the Hapsburgs of Austria. Other than that i think hes fallen out of bed again…woe to the rest of us!

• @Imperious:

How can you possibly interpret the correction of “genealogy” as a statement on the quality of leadership

1. Can you answer my question first?
    2. what correction are you referring to? ( yes wilhelm II is the gradson of wilhelm I and your point is?)
    3. why wouldn’t it not be possible you have two great leaders from the same bloodline?
    4. why are you trying to debate my opinion of their leadership qualities? WE can do this… do you want a debate?.. then lets start another thread.
    5. What is your opinion of wilhelm I and II as leaders?
    6. lets not turn this into another one of your stink bombs with the result of another closed topic as the fitting result. play nice!

No, the obvious one that even you noted and corrected silently, who cares, i am not, why would you care, why do place a stink bomb when oyu don’t want one ?

@Imperious:

I THINK HE is refering to the fact that Wilhelm II was the son of Frederick III and grandson of wilhelm I, but they are all in fact the ruling family during the entire period of the “Kaiserreich” from 1871-1918. Not quite unlike the Hohenzollern dynasty or the Hapsburgs of Austria. Other than that i think hes fallen out of bed again…woe to the rest of us!

Yes, that was what i refered to. You made another mistake. I corrected you. You pretend you never made that mistake and pull an unbelievable stunt of trying to put words into my mouth again. This time you are way too obvious.

Another correction:
    Wilhelm I., Friedrich III. and Wilhelm II. are Hohenzollern. So, the “Not quite unlike” is a pretty stupid comment and should be replaced by "They indeed are "

Now, i wait for IL to silently correct it and somehow claim from the above lines that i love to eat swans on toast.

• hmmmmmm
    swans . . .
    well F_alk - he’s got you there.  Mind you, everyone likes swans on toast - depending on the bread. 
    This is one of those times when rye just needs to be used.  A wee bit of mustard can really help that swan go down nicely too.  Some Gouda, and you’re laughing. . . .

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m