Did you know about the giant Japanese Spider Crab?

• The world 400 million years ago is basically 1/3 less than today. That is a fact

1. no one else here seems to have heard of this, including Falk, who, AFAIK, is a physicist.
    2. you havent proven this by any means
    3. your evidence is shaky at best
    4. prove it

• @Imperious:

The earth is slowly getting larger and its moving very slowly farther away from the sun. … In the past millions of years the rotation of the earth around the sun has actually took longer and as short a time frame as one billion years ago, one year was composed of 496 to 536 days in 12.4 to 13.4 months, 40 days in each month.
    … Statistics released by the International Society for Astrological Research (ISAR) …

The last link you presented speaks of “jumps in the gravitational constant (all over the universe?)”, the first two of a continuous expansion of the earth. These are two totally different causes and have totally differenct effects.
    You contradict yourself: Earth is moving away from the sun … and a year becomes shorter in that process. A quick glance at the planets tells me: further away, longer year.
    The “evidence” for the expanding earth is not thought through at all. It ignores facts in the continental drift like: new earth crust is created and layers of old earth crust is submerging under a different contintental plate and then melting when (the old layers) come closer to the core. If you now take all the “ancient” crust … of course you end up with less than we have today: parts were destroyed and replaced by newer crust. This is a well known and understood part of the continetal drift. There is no expanding earth.
    There are no jumps in cosmological constants.

The second argument is “better”: Yes, the earth’s rotation around itself is slowing down. That about 5*10^-11 %  today. That means, 5 billions years ago a day was about 0.3% shorter.
    Astrologists have nothing to do with science (that is Astronomists or Astro-physicists).
    A faster revolving earth has no influence on the gravity. It does have an influence on centrifugal forces. Calculate it yourself, and present the results if you want to convince anyone that that effect can be used to account for the growth / a compensation for half of earth’s gravity.

@Imperious:

IT is a fact that the earths gravitational forces were a fraction of what they are today.

Probably like 100%. Gravity does not change. It is NOT a fact. Centrifugal forces have been larger to a negligible amount.
    I still wonder what needs to be explained about “look … in older times …we had large REPTILES that need no energy to keep their body warm -just a warm climate- … but we don’t have that large MAMMALS that need to to spend energy to keep their body warm.”

@Imperious:

The neck weight to support the head as these creatures foraged for tasty leaves must have been immense.

Why should they not have lived in the water? a much safer place as the TRex couldn’t reach them there? That is the common argument defending the possibility of size (and you yourself brought up the buoyancy. Look at the Hippopotamus: has feet, lives in  the water, looks awfully clumsy, with a giant head etc. [satire] No, we can surely excluse this possibility. Instead, let’s better assume that somehow the mass of the earth doubled without any influence form the outside. f**k energy conservation, who needs that.[/satire]

@Imperious:

1. You are twisting the gravity changes. It not like the moon dammit.The moon is freeking 1/6 the earths gravity. The world 400 million years ago is basically 1/3 less than today. That is a fact and all those theory’s only say that among other things the reason why we have to huge land animals like we did 300 million years ago can be explained by this theory that says only certain sized skeletons could be supporting the weight when their was less gravity. That is not akin to the world being flat!
    2. the fact of slight difference in gravity does not mean atoms or the atmosphere will get wisked off into space by the fraction of a change of 1/3. If it was even 1/5 of what it was their would still be atmosphere. Plus you forget back them the world was more green house than today, it was like a big swamp of trapped heat due to many factors including active volcanos etc…

ARGh.
    @ 5):
    The moon is actually abscising itself from earth. Gravity does not change. The moon slows down in its rotation around the earth (it is damped because it creates the tides, the counterforce is slowing it down).
    The mass of the earth HAS NOT CHANGED.
    Just give me: What was the MEACHANISM that made the earth grow?
    Where did the mass come from? Why did it stick to the earth? Is the process going on? Does that happen to every planet in the solar system?  If not, why not? Where was the earths orbit when the mass was one third? What were the temperatures? How fast was the earth revolving around the sun? How can 1/3 of mass lead to 1/2 of gravity? Is energy conserved?
    @ 6): Why would the atmosphere still be there? There is nearly no atmosphere on Mars, which seems to be the most similar planet in size and weight.
    Did gravity change universally or was it just the earth gaining mass??

• Don’t have anything to add to the gravity debate, I’ve never pretended to know anything about physics, though this does seem rather silly to me; as Falk said, if the mass of the Earth hasn’t changed, then I’m pretty sure its gravity hasn’t either.

1. their was no Noah
    2. their was no ark
    3. their was no flood

You have no actual evidence for this, so try not to make a total ass of yourself. The story of the flood, etc., could be apocryphal, but you have no evidence to determine once and for all that it never happened. And by the way, the word you were looking for was “there.”

• You have no actual evidence for this, so try not to make a total a** of yourself. The story of the flood, etc., could be apocryphal, but you have no evidence to determine once and for all that it never happened. And by the way, the word you were looking for was “there.”

You have no evidence that I am not a space alien from Mars. I miss my home on the red planet. The dust really triggered my allergies, but I long for the food and my green-skinned family.

• IL,

I do not understand gravity as well as you, only knowing Newtons laws for gravity.  But there were animals from prehistoric times that have not changed.

http://www.dinofish.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth

So how would the coelacanth have behaved differently 400 million years ago at this gravity at 1/3 of todays?

Did it rule the earth, being massively stronger than the dinosaurs as it does fine in todays gravity?

• Yanny; was that an actual argument, or simply a sarcastic, sophomoric, and adolescent attempt at humor?

Actually, doesn’t matter; it wasn’t worth responding to anyway. I gotta stop doing that.

• It’s a sarcastic point. Lack of proof to the contrary is not an indication of fact.

• This post will attempt to answer some query’s from many people in one shot:

Why should they not have lived in the water

They lived close to water sources like your hippo example. They were herbivores.

What was the MECHANISM that made the earth grow

Its spinning faster and and the forces of the rotation cause the equator to bulge outward. That is why the Earth is not a perfect sphere. Some of the outer planets have demonstrated this “spinning top” characteristic quite well (Saturn).

Another chap mentioned the escape velocity of atmoshpere in low gravity.
    I ask you how do you explain Titan a moon which holds a decent atmosphere and oceans of Methane and slow moving tidal waves et al? by your idea it would have lost everything and become like our moon.

Another chap remarked about Noah and his damm boat
    You can believe that two people found 1 million different animals and incests while they only lived in the middle east while many of the world animals are not  found anywhere near that location. And adding some flood that covered the Earth (remembering that the existing water supply comes from the oceans and drawn to the air forming clouds that drop the very same water) and letter this flood recedes as fast as it appears is the most bombastic set of bularky a can imagine. I believe in the scientific record that demonstrates no such event ever occurred. Excuse me while i switch off TBN.

Earth is moving away from the sun

The earth is slowly getting larger and its moving very slowly farther away from the sun. … In the past millions of years the rotation of the earth around the sun has actually took longer and as short a time frame as one billion years ago, one year was composed of 496 to 536 days in 12.4 to 13.4 months, 40 days in each month

I am saying that the earths rotation is moving more slowly and the earth is moving farther from the sun. I didn’t say the year was getting shorter ( in fact i didn’t say anything at all about the year except that in the past it took longer for the earth to complete its revolution around the sun. However what may have confused you was the word rotation. I should have used revolution around the sun. (excuse me but my intention was to provide information of a giant crab and not a dichotomy of astrophysics).

With respect to the gravity issue i am only telling you what i learned in class and read. I thought this was common knowledge, but i am shocked that nobody knows this. I will post something from NASA or a some major source to back up the gravity change.

AS far as the theory about why Dinasours were no longer able to live and smaller animals were able to survive… that is a scientific theory and was only presented as such.

so now ill find that gravity proof…

• Others better versed in physics can correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the bulge around the Earth’s equator (well, not quite the equator really) was caused by the gravitational pull of the moon on the Earth’s water.  Rotation only affects where the bulge is at any given point in the day (and hence we call them tides).

• No the bulge is caused by the Earths spin, while the moon effects the tides.

Another fact:
    the moon is slowly moving farther away. In 500 million years from now it will cast less moonlight and affect the tides even less. The rate is about only a few centimeters each year so not to worry there will be no replay of space 1999 and commander Koening

• Dude, you’re going to need to post some links on that one.  Every website I’ve come across says undoubtedly the moon, not rotation.  Just google “bulge earth equator” and you’ll get links to nasa and a host of other sites.

• Well, IL is partially correct.  The earths rotation does slightly distort the shape of the earth.  However the moons gravity does likewise as well (as we know from the tides).  But where he goes wrong is with this effect on gravity, or rather the mass of the earth.  This distortion of the earth does not change the mass which establishes the gravity of the earth.  They do have a very small impact on the gravity felt by objects on the earth due to different distances from the center of the earth.  However as can be shown mathematically, the effect of these forces is…less than negligible.  If they did have a significant effect it would certainly be noticed at the Poles, and all the polar expeditions to date along with the research laboratories at the South pole do not report any significant changes in the gravitational forces.  For that matter, if he were correct there would be a noticible difference between New England and Hawaii.   Having been to both these places I can testify that I experienced no changes in gravity between these locations.

• Actually their are some changes from the gravity at the poles vs. the equator, but i am trying to find proof that in earths ancient history their was a substantive change in the overall level in gravity. I am still looking so dont cry !

• Dude, you’re going to need to post some links on that one.  Every website I’ve come across says undoubtedly the moon, not rotation.  Just google “bulge earth equator” and you’ll get links to nasa and a host of other sites.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s411956.htm

• WTF!!! This topic is FUBAR!!! Mods, please lock this topic, its suppose to be about a fricken crab, and now its about gravity!!!??? :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

• @Imperious:

Why should they not have lived in the water

They lived close to water sources like your hippo example. They were herbivores.

My hippo example was living in the water. Did you miss that point?
    And where is the answer to question i asked ?

What was the MECHANISM that made the earth grow

Its spinning faster and and the forces of the rotation cause the equator to bulge outward. That is why the Earth is not a perfect sphere. Some of the outer planets have demonstrated this “spinning top” characteristic quite well (Saturn).

You are not even trying to answer the questions, instead you try to just sidestep and miss them so close that people might think you answer them. And you are contradicting yourself: it is not spinning faster. The spin is slowing down.

The earth is slowly getting larger and its moving very slowly farther away from the sun. … In the past millions of years the rotation of the earth around the sun has actually took longer…

I am saying that the earths rotation is moving more slowly and the earth is moving farther from the sun. I didn’t say the year was getting shorter ( in fact i didn’t say anything at all about the year except that in the past it took longer for the earth to complete its revolution around the sun.

ARGH
    ONE YEAR = 1 REVOLUTION OF THE EARTH AROUND THE SUN

Now look at your quotes:
    “In the past millions of years the rotation of the earth around the sun has actually took longer” = in the past a year was longer => now it is shorter.
    " I didn’t say the year was getting shorter ( in fact i didn’t say anything at all about the year except that in the past it took longer for the earth to complete its revolution around the sun. "

You do that on purpose, right?
    I mean, no one can possibly be so stupid and quote himself and then contradict his own quote in the next line.
    Or do you have a problem with your short term memory, that would explain it.

With respect to the gravity issue i am only telling you what i learned in class and read. I thought this was common knowledge, but i am shocked that nobody knows this. I will post something from NASA or a some major source to back up the gravity change.

I am shocked that you (a) have no idea what gravity is, and (b) can’t count to one.

• WTF!!! This topic is FUBAR!!! Mods, please lock this topic, its suppose to be about a fricken crab, and now its about gravity!!!???

This is a typical Falk style where he has no take on the topic, and hijacks it because hes too lazy to do anything but go into semantics about sentence structure and  debate to veracity of the material with his own sources.

Question to Falk: Why do you turn anything allways into a personal attack? Do you hate yourself that much? You hate Christmas?

Anyway….
    Their are many questions from many members so i cant answer everything completely but here goes again:

The earth is slowly getting larger and its moving very slowly farther away from the sun. … In the past millions of years the rotation of the earth around the sun has actually took longer and as short a time frame as one billion years ago, one year was composed of 496 to 536 days in 12.4 to 13.4 months, 40 days in each month

I am saying that the earths rotation is moving more slowly and the earth is moving farther from the sun. I didn’t say the year was getting shorter ( in fact i didn’t say anything at all about the year except that in the past it took longer for the earth to complete its revolution around the sun. However what may have confused you was the word rotation. I should have used revolution around the sun

in this case i am talking about two different things: the rotation taking longer and the revolution around the sun taking longer both facts during Earths early age.

If you look at the sites i posted it will explain why the earth 1) has different gravity zones depending on where you are 2) why the earth is larger at the equator 3) Why the earth is slowly moving further out.

I dont want to comment on damm Hippos, because they have little to do with giant crabs. make a new topic for your damm hippos and have fun with that.

• You are just repeating yourself with no content.

@Imperious:

… In the past millions of years the rotation of the earth around the sun has actually took longer

To the Nth time: that means you say a Year was longer in those times.

I didn’t say the year was getting shorter

What does it mean that a year was longer in long-ago times….  ?

in this case i am talking about two different things: the rotation taking longer and the revolution around the sun taking longer both facts during Earths early age.

That means that both the Day and the Year were longer in those early ages. That is contradicting everything you said so far.

If you look at the sites i posted it will explain why the earth 1) has different gravity zones depending on where you are 2) why the earth is larger at the equator 3) Why the earth is slowly moving further out.

That does not answer and you have not answered a single question of how and why the gravity of the earth changes.

I dont want to comment on damm Hippos, because they have little to do with giant crabs. make a new topic for your damm hippos and have fun with that.

You were unable to get the point of the hippos anyway.

• I’m with Marine; time to lock this. It’s degenerated into two people repeating the same arguments, and throwing in personal attacks while they’re at it. If y’all wanna start another thread to discuss this rather interesting subject, feel free, but this thread should go.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m