• yes, damn that dave stewart on the “comedy network”  :roll:

• Excuse my intrusion… but which show is on the “comedy network”? I think that would be that comedian dave stewart… Both are entertainers, but clearly Stewarts show has less to do with factual or rational arguments, because if he doesn’t get as many laughs as south park or dave chappelle or any of the other bathroom humor filled shows, they take a big stick and beat him within an inch of his life. O’Reilly’s gig is a bit more formal and he sticks to the fact pattern much better, while he has his own set of personal problems they are both flawed. Also, the level of sophistication of the viewership has little to do with how they espouse their ideas or the message. The demographics and availability of these shows has much more to do with this.

John Stewart would not disagree with you on the critique of his own show. He is the first to admit that he does comedy, not news. Looking to his show for anything other than smart comedy is not going to turn up anything.

His problem is with guys like O’Reilly. They do two things wrong. First, O’Reilly gets his viewers through lies, personal attacks, and a lot of hate. Second (the more important point) is that shows like his play in to the strategy of politicians. Political elites in general benefit from the black and white, partisan hackery displayed by people like O’Reilly. Watch the first link, the Crossfire interview with Stewart. He basically spells it out: “We, the people, need you guys. You have a duty to us, and right now you are failing us”.

• OK fine… at least were not using these chumps as ideological stalwarts of political reason, like we have with Rush  :mrgreen:

• If Jon Stewart is the stalwart of the liberal idealogy on television, then the liberal media myth is finally disproven :)

• :-D

• @cystic:

I gotta’ admit - i do enjoy Jon Stuart.  He toasts absolutely everybody - Dems, Reps, and other news agencies.  It is pretty fun.
    I guess he is pretty obviously a Democrat (well - at least pretty obviously anti-war in Iraq), but he is still happy to go after the democratic party.

Gotta admit CC, when you’re right your right.  I remember a couple of years ago after the 04 elections he was commenting on how boring the election was.  “What ever happened to voter fraud?  What… it is all over in one night?  What fun is that?”

• @Yanny:

Excuse my intrusion… but which show is on the “comedy network”? I think that would be that comedian dave stewart… Both are entertainers, but clearly Stewarts show has less to do with factual or rational arguments, because if he doesn’t get as many laughs as south park or dave chappelle or any of the other bathroom humor filled shows, they take a big stick and beat him within an inch of his life. O’Reilly’s gig is a bit more formal and he sticks to the fact pattern much better, while he has his own set of personal problems they are both flawed. Also, the level of sophistication of the viewership has little to do with how they espouse their ideas or the message. The demographics and availability of these shows has much more to do with this.

John Stewart would not disagree with you on the critique of his own show. He is the first to admit that he does comedy, not news. Looking to his show for anything other than smart comedy is not going to turn up anything.

His problem is with guys like O’Reilly. They do two things wrong. First, O’Reilly gets his viewers through lies, personal attacks, and a lot of hate. Second (the more important point) is that shows like his play in to the strategy of politicians. Political elites in general benefit from the black and white, partisan hackery displayed by people like O’Reilly. Watch the first link, the Crossfire interview with Stewart. He basically spells it out: “We, the people, need you guys. You have a duty to us, and right now you are failing us”.

First, do you have a video with the O’reily interview?  I would like to see it (I didn’t see a link on the page provided).  I am betting the stoner comment was meant to be funny.  He says that kind of thing a lot, and it is not meant to be offensive.  Saw his show a couple of days ago and he was debating a liberal on “the war on Christmas” and joked that he was satan, and that if he went to his house to make christmas cookies they would have weed in them.  The guy laughed it off, it meant nothing.  It was meant to be a joke and people took it as such.  So I would much rather see the video, than the transcript of the stewart interview.  Too much can be taken out of context so I didn’t bother reading it.  Stewart’s show is the best example of that.  It would hardly be as funny to read it, than watch it.

The great thing about stewart is that he goes after everyone.  I laugh when he makes fun of things I believe in because there is no real message (other than pointing out how insane the whole thing is).  Fox claims to be “fair and balanced”.  Stewart is closest to that in my opinion.

I loved the line “you are comparing my show to yours?  The show before mine is about puppets making crank calls!”

Going to go surf and see if I can find a link to the O’reily interview.

• Gotta say, Stewart is definitely the better of the two.

Stewart at least has the sense to not take himself too seriously.

O’Reilly on the other had… well let’s just say that he has ego gone amok (and that coming from a megalomaniac) :-P

The Spin Stops here… yea, right.  The only way the spin stops there is if the world is revolving around him (and he probably thinks it does).  He has hit a few things rather well over the years (Red Cross 9-11 donations prbobably being the biggest), but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

• First, do you have a video with the O’reily interview?  I would like to see it (I didn’t see a link on the page provided).  I am betting the stoner comment was meant to be funny.  He says that kind of thing a lot, and it is not meant to be offensive.  Saw his show a couple of days ago and he was debating a liberal on “the war on Christmas” and joked that he was satan, and that if he went to his house to make christmas cookies they would have weed in them.  The guy laughed it off, it meant nothing.

Actually, it wasn’t ment totally as a joke. Read the interview, Stewart takes a little offense to O’Reilly. O’Reilly uses the “stoned slackers” comment quite often, and even claims the absurd statistic that 87% of Stewart’s viewers are intoxicated.

http://www.poormojo.org/pmjadaily/archives/001446.html

• so i have been looking for that interview from sept. 2004 and can’t find it anywhere sigh… but i did see a lot of the daily show i had missed in the last year which is always good …  I did however find O’Rielly on the daily show recently if anyone is intrested http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=24091
    i think Jon handled himself quite well, but ahh anyway… it was on his show and he is gracious, and not a pompous @$$ like the big O… my favorite part of Jon’s show was how the crowded treated Mr. O… found myself chuckling cause Jon had to tone them down a few times. But that is just the character that orielly plays i hope in his pursuit of money… I mean heaven forbid he actually believe some of the garbage that pours from his mouth

• Some more on O’Reilly’s bullshit:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2664114

A lie of his exposed by the CBC. He quoted a newspaper that doesn’t exist and statistics which are in opposition to fact.

• O’Reilly opposes the ACLU.

I’ve also listened to his show, which is on tape delay in my region.  From what I hear, he supports our troops and their valiant efforts in the war on terror.  He decries the 75-80% liberal media that is demonizing our efforts in Iraq.  He also points out how the democratic party, which is supposed to be liberal and therefore more tolerant of differing viewpoints, has been taken over by the far left in a fascist manner.  They now silence all voices that do not support the whole far left party line.  The far left is typified by Howard Dean, Ted Kennedy, and Michael Moore.

He supports Bush in the war on terror, but says that Bush is not doing enough to secure our borders.  He also pointed out that South Dakota got about $10K per capita to fight the war and places like AZ, NM, FL, and NY are not getting enough funding.

Basically, he wants our nation to be strong.  This means we get international respect, our military gets the resources to do their job, our job market is not flooded with illegals, our kids grow up knowing right from wrong, our gov’t paves the way for progress, secular lawyers do not complicate our lives, courts make fair rulings, and the media covers the whole truth.  He also wants to end terrorism so we will not suffer another 9-11.

Bill gets my vote.

http://www.billoreilly.com/currentarticle

That current article changes often.  There is a poem about the replacing of Christ and saints will PC terms like happy holidays.

By: Bill O’Reilly for BillOReilly.com
    Thursday, Dec 08, 2005

Way back in 1822 Clement Clarke Moore wrote a poem called “'Twas the Night Before Christmas,” which was first published in the New York Sentinel journal. Moore, the son of the New York Bishop who had presided at George Washington’s inauguration, had no idea his verse would become world famous, beloved by people everywhere.
    But because there is mention of a certain “Saint Nicholas” in the poem it may, alas, have to be revised in order not to offend Americans who don’t believe in saints or even Christmas for that matter. We cannot be having any exclusionary poems now, can we?

So with apologies to Clement Moore and everybody else, I humbly submit this updated poem for your consideration:

'Twas the night before Solstice, and all through the land
    the ACLU was watching to keep things in hand.
    The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
    while forces kept Christmas out of their heads.
    When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
    I sprang from my bed and heard desperate chatter.
    Someone had seen my manger display,
    And wailed very loudly - go away, go away.

How could I be so crass, so utterly wrong
    So show the infant Jesus and sing him a song?

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
    An ACLU lawyer, looking stern and aloof.
    No manger! No caroling! he said with a snort,
    And if you don’t comply immediately, I’ll take you to court!

He was chubby and plump, a right surly old elf,
    And I laughed when I saw him in spite of myself.
    He dallied no more, but went straight to his phone
    Lamenting the manger, in a most pitiful moan.

But I in the spirit, said nothing unkind
    Christmas is forgiveness whatever you find.
    A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
    Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

Christmas will survive, the folks will demand it,
    Even if secular lawyers will not understand it.
    Then I heard him exclaim, as he drove out of sight,
    Happy Solstice to all, and to all a good night!

• @Linkon:

That current article changes often.  There is a poem about the replacing of Christ and saints will PC terms like happy holidays.

Ah yes… the “War on Christmas”

Quick history on that fake argument:

1.  “Happy Holidays”.  The word “Holiday” is actually a deriviative of “HOLY day”  Hhmmm, wonder why Christians would be upset by people wishing others a Happy Holy Day?
    2.  “Christmas Trees”.  Martin Luther must be laughing his ass off over that!  The “Christmas Tree” is actually an adaptation of the old Germanic Pagan YULE tree.  It was a strong nationalistic symbol of Germanic peoples about 5 centuries or so ago.  So about the time of the Protestant Reformation, it was adopted into Lutheranism (the first Christian Heretic religion to take hold).  It was a way to encourage Germanic peoples to adopt the new Lutheran religion over Catholicism by tying the symbols of the new religion more closely with their own heritage rather than the Mediteranean Catholicism.  So all you “good Christians” just enjoy your Pagan Yule Tree in your living room, for that is what it is, no matter what name you want to call it now, that is what it is.  A Rose by any other name…

I could go on to point out that, based on Biblical text, Christ was actually born in late February or early March, that the date of December 25 for Christmas was selected to fall on the Winter Solstice prior to the correction of the Calendar by Pope Gregory when the solstice shifted to approximately the 21st while Christmas stayed put.  Christmas was deliberately placed on an existing Pagan day of celebration, the winter solstice, just like All Hallows Eve was placed on Samhuin, and Easter was placed on Ostara…  Oh, THERE is a Pagan way of setting a holiday:  the first sunday after the first FULL MOON after the spring equinox!

But alas I digress.

Merry Christmhanakwanzica! 
    And a Blessed Solsitce and Yule to one and all!

You are not winning any points for Bill with this particular argument Linkon.

• …“How old are you?”  “35.”  “And you wear a bowtie?”    LMAO!!!

• I knew of the feud Billy was building by making the stoner comment.  I was lucky to be at a friend’s house (don’t have cable) when he was on The Daily Show.  For everything he had said, Jon was very well-mannered and, as far as I could see, acted like an adult about the whole thing.  Never took a shot at Bill.
    Maybe O’Reilly has a vision, but he sure as hell doesn’t approach it properly.  He is a living tabloid, and it’s a shame that a mock news show (for the sake of comedy) has more informed viewers than a self-proclaimed “no-spin” news show.
    And yes, I’ve watched O’Reilly’s show.  It’s to news what the WWE is to sports.

• Just a quick note on Bill…

He has been caught in another lie/exageration/giving false news.

On December 9, he had a guest on talking about the “War on Christmas” and talked extensively about a PLano, TX school that banned red and green clothes during the holidays.  The school mentioned has posted on their website and directly contacted the parents that such is not true, never was true.

Bill was also notified.  No retraction or correction has been issued to date.

• O’Reilly opposes the ACLU

That makes him infinitely better because you cant have too many enemies of that dreaded ACLU!

• @Imperious:

That makes him infinitely better because you cant have too many enemies of that dreaded ACLU!

Yes, we must certainly oppose any organization that fights to preserve our right to be protected from unwarranted search and seizure, and that is working to prevent the rise of an American Theocracy.  Yes, we must KILL, KILL, KILL the dreadful ACLU.

• Yep word up… :mrgreen:

The ACLU does so much more than protect the rights of some, they protect their agenda of tearing down human progress, so we can hug trees, cuddle with our enemies, and divide the nation into the chaos of moral relativism.

• @Imperious:

Yep word up… :mrgreen:

The ACLU does so much more than protect the rights of some, they protect their agenda of tearing down human progress, so we can hug trees, cuddle with our enemies, and divide the nation into the chaos of moral relativism.

Are you by chance a contributor of Fox News?  Perhaps a researcher for the EIB Network?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m