Axis and Allies 1914 FAQ/Question and Answer Thread

• I think units retreating from a contested territory can’t board transports.

Units leaving a contested territory can ONLY enter other contested territories or friendly territories (transports are neither)

• @Chicochico:

I think units retreating from a contested territory can’t board transports.

Units leaving a contested territory can ONLY enter other contested territories or friendly territories (transports are neither)

It says on page 15 paragraph 3 under land units, “if they are moved by transport, they may also remain at sea” therefor it implies they can be moved by sea from a contested territory but only to be moved into an existing friendly or already contested location

• Official Q&A

@Flashman:

So if someone spots that the rule is violated before combat begins, does the moving player have to take back the units altogether, rather than simply demote a unit?

That’s correct.  Of course, the error could also be corrected by moving an infantry unit in, if one could legally get there.

@cressman8064:

It says on page 15 paragraph 3 under land units, “if they are moved by transport, they may also remain at sea” therefor it implies they can be moved by sea from a contested territory but only to be moved into an existing friendly or already contested location

Correct.

• Can can country like UK, activate Portugal?  If they can, they will be french units right?

Lets say Russia attacked Mesopotamia round 1 and is contesting it.  UK follows up with a force from India transport.  UK kills the remaining defenders.  Does Russia or UK take the territory?

• Can UK or France take directly control of Belgium Congo or Angola and Spanish Marocco or can they only take control by reconquering it from it if the axis?

• Yes I believe Krieg has already answered that- the Allies or CP can take control of any territory.  Only Allied/CP leaning neutral capitals and strict neutral capitals generate defensive units.  The Allies don’t have to wait for the CP to take them first, they can directly move there and collect money.

• Customizer

@ghr2:

Can can country like UK, activate Portugal?  If they can, they will be french units right?

Lets say Russia attacked Mesopotamia round 1 and is contesting it.  UK follows up with a force from India transport.  UK kills the remaining defenders.  Does Russia or UK take the territory?

Correct on the first one; UK controls Mesopotamia because its units defeated the Turks.

• Customizer

After the Revolution, what happens to units of the other Allies in Russia?

If they capture an original Russian tt from the Central Powers, is it “liberated” back to Russia, or can the Allies take control of it?

What about contested tts: if the Allies defeat all CP units in one of these, does the tt also revert to Russian control and therefore becomes off limits for the Central Powers?

Do Russian mines still have any effect?

Do “contesting” Russian units count as friendly to the Allies for the purposes of moving to/from contested tts?

I have a large stack of units facing 2 lightly defended enemy tts; however my stack contains only one infantry. Can I voluntarily demote an artillery to an infantry in order to move into both enemy tts?

• If they capture an original Russian tt from the Central Powers, is it “liberated” back to Russia, or can the Allies take control of it?

This one is actually really interesting; it’s the method by which the Allies can concievably trap CP units in Russia.
    The territories the Allies take in Russia will always go back to Russia since the Revolution will never happen if Moscow is under CP control. Since the capital is not under CP control, it would be Russia that gets the territories.

What about contested tts: if the Allies defeat all CP units in one of these, does the tt also revert to Russian control and therefore becomes off limits for the Central Powers?

By the same reasoning above, yes.

Do Russian mines still have any effect?

Interesting, the rules say Russia signs an armistice, but nowhere does it say in game terms that Russia is no longer an enemy of the CP, it just changes how they interact. It seems according to the rules as written mines must still be on.

Do “contesting” Russian units count as friendly to the Allies for the purposes of moving to/from contested tts?

“rules restricting land unit movement out of contested territories no longer apply to Russian Territories”

Remember though; you can’t normally move out of a contested territory to one that is merely friendly, it must be to one controlled by YOUR power. So, for example, if Switzerland is contested, Germany cannot move out of it into Tyrolia even if Austria controls it (I don’t like this at all, btw).

• @Flashman:

I have a large stack of units facing 2 lightly defended enemy tts; however my stack contains only one infantry. Can I voluntarily demote an artillery to an infantry in order to move into both enemy tts?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Krieghund made it explicitly clear the downgrading business applies only to placement of units where there are no infantry on your capital (or india) when you begin to place.

• Thanks Krieghund. Another Query… can France transport troops into albania and activate the italians there? Or does it have to be Italy?

Also, can fighters take off from transports and fly? or once they’re on transports do they have to land just like any other land unit?

• Customizer

It seems I’ve been playing it incorrectly where control of some tts is concerned.

To use an example:

Britain controls Belgium, having captured it from Germany. The tt is now defended exclusively by a large stack of 20 French units.
    A single German infantry puts his toe over the Belgian border, and is instantly shot down by a French sniper.

Belgium now transfers from British to French control, is that correct?

I had previously assumed that the tt only becomes contested after the combat round has failed to produce a winner.

• That sounds right.  As soon as the German soldier moves in and the territory becomes contested, you would remove the British control marker.  After you conclude combat, France wins the battle and takes control of the territory.

• Can fighters participate in sea battles ?

• Afraid not Uncrustable.

• Is Constantinople considered a strait/canal? Ex: Can Italian ships move from SZ 17 into SZ 20 if Constantinople is controlled by the Ottoman Empire?

• @Uncrustable:

Is Constantinople considered a strait/canal? Ex: Can Italian ships move from SZ 17 into SZ 20 if Constantinople is controlled by the Ottoman Empire?

Nuts that enemy ships can transit the strait.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Istambul_and_Bosporus_big.jpg

Why is it not called Istanbul anyway?

• After playing a round I have some questions:

What happens when the Allies move into Portuguese/Spanish/Belgian colonies in Africa?  Do they get money for them?  No units spawn correct? This may have been answered already but I can’t find it.

The Infantry with Artillery/Planes/Tanks rule- So in combat, there always has to be at least one Infantry per side until one side is wiped out?  So while in combat you can’t lose your last Infantry until all Artillery/Planes/Tanks are dead?

Is it specified how much you need to attack Serbia with?  Or is just ‘attack it’?  Can I send one Infantry there and call it good?

• Customizer

@BJCard:

Is it specified how much you need to attack Serbia with?  Or is just ‘attack it’?  Can I send one Infantry there and call it good?

Problem is, Serbia is Russia-aligned, so you basically would just spawn an unopposed Russian army on your border.

• @ossel:

@BJCard:

Problem is, Serbia is Russia-aligned, so you basically would just spawn an unopposed Russian army on your border.

What I really meant is can I send just enough to make it contested and send more units to Romania.  Then The Ottomans in Bulgaria can claim Serbia round 2.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m