John Brown was executed today in 1859: the rest is history.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

I’m curious as to why so many people thought he was a bad guy.

Why all the “good riddance?”

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Canuck12:

Sounds like he was a bad-ass who stood up for what he believed in and wasn’t afraid to fight, kill and die for it. I like a man with balls like that.

Cool. Thanks for the story.

The first person your hero “John Brown” killed was a -free- black man, who was trying to stop John from heisting a train.

Whatever you choose to believe - John Brown was an idiot.

Promoting freedom of slaves is one thing; But promoting slave rebellions is quite literally something else.  Slave Rebellions back then were viewed as horrendously as School Shootings are today, with lots of -innocent- people getting killed in the process.  Much like John Browns first kill…

John Brown’s own friends knew this, hence why they chose NOT to support him for the most part in his cause.

His death was a fitting end to his life of stupidity and promotion of violence.

• '16 '15 '10

Unlike most other Northerners, who advocated peaceful resistance to the pro-slavery faction, Brown demanded violent action in response to Southern aggression. He believed he was the instrument of God’s wrath in punishing men for the sin of owning slaves.

What a clown.

Again - Good Riddance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottawatomie_Massacre

There you can read about him dragging people out of their beds at night, and hacked them to death by broadsword.

One was a Kid not even 16 years old.

If I started executing children for what I believed in - you wouldn’t be looking at me with “hero” or “martyr” in your eyes would you?

Let’s sum this up…

Violent Extremist, Child Killer, Cold-Blooded-Murderer, Megalomaniac, Republican(Because the media seems to think that’s a crime these days) et all.

Even I’ve got nothing on this guy.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Yeah, the thing is that its all relative.

Plenty of people that killed Nazis and Taliban, kids and adults alike, cold-blood and stand-up, are hailed as heroes these days.

A lot of people were killed fighting the American revolution.

Is there a point where violence is justified to end certain particularly heinous events/regimes? Or are all killers just that?

@Canuck12:

Yeah, the thing is that its all relative.

Plenty of people that killed Nazis and Taliban, kids and adults alike, cold-blood and stand-up, are hailed as heroes these days.

A lot of people were killed fighting the American revolution.

Is there a point where violence is justified to end certain particularly heinous events/regimes? Or are all killers just that?

Yes there is a point.  That point is WHEN YOU WIN.

I’m sure Eisenhower would have stood trial and been executed had the allies lost the war.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Agreed. A whole race of people would have been eliminated and we would all be talking now about how foolish the Democracies were to think that they could colonize, exclude from power and generally shit on so many other countries and peoples.

It just, didn’t work out that way…

…so far.

@Canuck12:

Agreed. A whole race of people would have been eliminated and we would all be talking now about how foolish the Democracies were to think that they could colonize, exclude from power and generally ���� on so many other countries and peoples.

It just, didn’t work out that way…

…so far.

What do you mean “a whole race of people would have been eliminated”? 90% of world scientists agree that that “mythical” race never existed and that it was all allied propoganda.

I’m beginning to doubt your committments to the Fuhrer friend… you don’t want to return to re-education camp for a second graduation do you?

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

My commitment to the Fuhrer is eternal, mein freund. I was merely suggesting that IF such a race had existed, as these krank-pot scientists suggest, they would have been eliminated immediately along with any threat they posed to the 1000 year Reign of Third Reich. Just as the capitalists and communists were easily vanquished in the Second Great War that established this long period of global peace and stability…

Drink up… :)

• '12

Yes there is a point.  That point is WHEN YOU WIN.

I’m sure Eisenhower would have stood trial and been executed had the allies lost the war.

Interesting that at this point there are 2 votes down.  I wonder if you had said “I’m sure Churchill would have stood trial and been executed had the allies lost the war.”  Would you still get two votes down?  Perhaps Roosevelt and Churchill were in the same category and Eisenhower being a military man is different.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m