England's Charles I was executed for High treason today in 1649

• Charles I was executed for High Treason today in 1649. He had been king since his father’s death in 1625, but had been unpopular for a number of years. He strongly believed in his Divine Right to rule and would not waver on any issue or ever think he could be wrong. He made many wrong foreign policy decisions and banned Parliament for eleven years, only reopening it as a means to collect revenue as he was bankrupt. He had angered and earnt the distrust of many by marrying a French Catholic princess.
    His government rebelled in 1642, leading to Civil War. It was as a consequence of the continuation of this Civil War(known as the Second Civil War)and turning to Scotland(England’s Auld Enemy) for help in returning him to his throne that sealed his fate. When captured in 1648 there were few who sought his death, the majority calling for his restoration, but a coup by Colonel Thomas Pride ensured a vote went against the King.
    He was tried, found guilty, executed at Whitehall and buried at Windsor.
    When his son was returned to the throne after 11 years of Republic, his great enemy, Oliver Cromwell was interred and his body mutilated on the 12th anniversary of Charles’ execution.

• @wittmann:

He strongly believed in his Divine Right to rule and would not waver on any issue or ever think he could be wrong.

He sounds like a man who would have seen eye to eye with Franz Joseph I of Austria and Nicholas II of Russia.

• Thanks for finding time to comment Cromwell.
    The 30th Jan, and this event,is not an anniversary I forget: it is Al’s father’s birthday. He has always enjoyed its place as he  is  anti-monarchist and anti privilege, despite his (state funded) public and Oxford education. It is funny as his wife’s parents worked in the colonies after the war, so politically they do not see eye to eye!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m