-A Painting Tutorial and Resource for A&A Global-

• '16 Customizer

@dangermouse650:

Nice to see this happening, i may learn a few new tricks  :-D From my own experience the biggest quality needed is time, patience…… and a steady hand… i have trouble with them these days and  i have to wear glasses, didn’t have these problems when i painted my classic set many many moons ago. All good, on with the show  :-)

Yes, patience and a steady hand are definitely key! I find a magnifying glass is great, but I seem to lose depth perception looking through one, so i can’t tell when I’ll touch the piece…so I can’t do any detail work with one.

You finished a classic set? That would be cool to see the original pieces painted  :-)

• '16 Customizer

Hey all! Sorry I haven’t posted in a while- I just finished the Chinese infantry last night, so I should be able to get pics up sometime soon. They will be here!  :lol:

• '21 '18 '17 '15

@Spitfire38:

You finished a classic set? That would be cool to see the original pieces painted  :-)

Hopefully the link works, i didn’t paint the infantry, wasn’t till i found this site and seen allwork and virococha’s painted sets that i gave the infantry a try….
    http://www.mediafire.com/?f6suo1dcadamm

• I notice you don’t use a primer first.

I would personally highly recommend, after washing the pieces and letting them dry, using a Krylon Fusion, flat spray paint (black is my preference, though white would be fine as well) as a primer before painting.

The Krylon Fusion brand adheres to plastics and using a flat primer/paint beforehand provides a better surface for your acrylics to stick to (less chance of them rubbing off/chiping later on).

• '16 Customizer

@dangermouse650:

Hopefully the link works, i didn’t paint the infantry, wasn’t till i found this site and seen allwork and virococha’s painted sets that i gave the infantry a try….
    http://www.mediafire.com/?f6suo1dcadamm

Nice work! I like it.

@Rorschach:

I notice you don’t use a primer first.

I would personally highly recommend, after washing the pieces and letting them dry, using a Krylon Fusion, flat spray paint (black is my preference, though white would be fine as well) as a primer before painting.

The Krylon Fusion brand adheres to plastics and using a flat primer/paint beforehand provides a better surface for your acrylics to stick to (less chance of them rubbing off/chiping later on).

I’ve thought about it before…do you think it gives a better product in the the end, and does it make the paint job easier or more professional? If it’s just for protection in the end I probably won’t, but let me know what you think of it because I’ve seriously considered it before!

• '16 Customizer

All right guys! I finished the Chinese infantry.

I finished the boots with a straight black. I used a thin point brush to get in between the legs on the inside of the boots. Afterwards I had to go back over the base a little bit to cover up any stray lines from painting the boots. That’s why it’s important to make sure you can replicate a pretty similar shade again when you first mix the base.

Then I just fixed up the uniforms with a straight dark green (that’s another bonus of using 2 coats of different colors… you can touch up with one straight color without mixing it and it doesn’t look bad)

For the base, I needed a green, but more of a bright, pastel colored green, not a dark forest or army green. So I mixed some blue and yellow (come on, back to the basic color wheel- 1st grade  :lol:) until I found a shade I liked. Then you just apply it to the base and wick off any extra that sticks over the top of the side of the base with your finger.

Then you wait for it to dry, sit back, survey your pieces, make any changes you want, and be proud of yourself!  :-D

Here are the pics of the final infantry.

One of those guys has a face defect-poor guy. must be hard missing half your jaw.
    Every once in a while you have to have some fun as well. So here is an infantry piece with some “accesories”… Taliban infantry, Chinese Rambo…take your pick. haha. He looks a little messy, but I fixed him up later, don’t worry!

Hope you guys found this helpful! I’ll be doing some more pieces in the near future.

• '16 Customizer

I added a poll at the top of the page on which pieces you would like to see painted. Let me know!

• '21 '18 '17 '15

Great job there man  :-) Keep up the good work

• Customizer

Really nice work!

And IMHO it’s very important to have FUN, too! A reference to you “Rambo-san”.

Keep up the good work.

“Tall Paul”

• @Spitfire38:

I’ve thought about it before…do you think it gives a better product in the the end, and does it make the paint job easier or more professional? If it’s just for protection in the end I probably won’t, but let me know what you think of it because I’ve seriously considered it before!

I definately think using a flat base coat makes the paint job a little bit easier, in addition to making the paint a little bit more durable…  It gives you a better surface to work with instead of the semi-slick plastic (or slick gloss paint if you make that mistake like I did the first time when doing a base coat!) and I find the paint goes on better.

For the small cost (I buy Krylon Fusion flat spray paint … used an off white for my AA50 pieces) of about $7 you can do your entire set and then some.  Just if you do, make sure you do 2 light coats rather than 1 heavy coat or you’ll lose all the detail and end up with a mess.

I also strongly recommend a clear coat on top when you’re finished to protect the paint job.  Any matte varnish spray can will do the job (or satin/gloss if you don’t like the matte/flat look).

• '16 Customizer

@dangermouse650:

Great job there man  :-) Keep up the good work

Thanks!! I appreciate approval…it keeps me going sometimes  :-)

@Tall:

Really nice work!

And IMHO it’s very important to have FUN, too! A reference to you “Rambo-san”.

Keep up the good work.

“Tall Paul”

Thank you as well- I  couldn’t have said it better. In my 1942 set I painted a hot pink Panther/Tiger whatever it is, with a flower on the engine and flames on the treads. Fun!

@Rorschach:

@Spitfire38:

I definately think using a flat base coat makes the paint job a little bit easier, in addition to making the paint a little bit more durable…  It gives you a better surface to work with instead of the semi-slick plastic (or slick gloss paint if you make that mistake like I did the first time when doing a base coat!) and I find the paint goes on better.

For the small cost (I buy Krylon Fusion flat spray paint … used an off white for my AA50 pieces) of about $7 you can do your entire set and then some.  Just if you do, make sure you do 2 light coats rather than 1 heavy coat or you’ll lose all the detail and end up with a mess.

I also strongly recommend a clear coat on top when you’re finished to protect the paint job.  Any matte varnish spray can will do the job (or satin/gloss if you don’t like the matte/flat look).

Wow, $7 for a whole set! I’ll look into it- sounds like it’s worth it. Thanks for the advice.

Don’t forget to vote on what you see painted at the top of the page.

• Customizer

Spitfire38,

I couldn’t help but notice you had left the entire bases for your Nationalist Chinese Infantry a solid blue. Were you going to eventually paint the
    N.C. insignia on their bases? Here’s a pic of the ones that “Allworkandnoclay” painted for me. I hope it might assist you in your painting. Keep up the good work.

“Tall Paul”

Chinab.jpg

• @Spitfire38:

@Rorschach:

@Spitfire38:

Wow, $7 for a whole set! I’ll look into it- sounds like it’s worth it. Thanks for the advice.

Remember, that’s $7 for one spray can of Krylon Fusion (at least that’s the price at the WalMart here).  You still have the other paints, and then a clear coat on top.  But yes, one can should prime your entire set.  Or pretty close to it.

• '22 '16

Great job Spitfire!  Really cool idea and i love the pics.  Just a couple things I have learned painting.  I also use the acrylics and I have found that after washing the pieces a light primer coat helps a lot.  My pieces get a lot of handling and peeling was always an issue.  I don’t use the infantry pieces from the game so when I buy unique infantry sets to paint sometimes I get variations in the plastic used so a primer coat is a must.  I also use a matte clear coat to protect. (sometimes 2 coats)  I have found Krylon is the best.  I love to use the pieces when we play but some people don’t like them when we play.  They say its to hard to distinguish the different powers.  So when planning a paint scheme maybe take this into consideration.  I don’t always go for the authentic look.  I like to have a scheme that is easily recognizable and cool to look at.  And most of all have fun doing it!!  I also run into problems with storage.  As of now I store all my painted pieces with the regular ones in the boxes from Global.  I have the boxes compartmentalized into unit type but I find that the outer extremities of the infantry (guns, arm, hands etc) tend to peel more easily.  Any suggestions for storage I am all ears.  Keep up the good work!

• '16 Customizer

@Tall:

Spitfire38,

I couldn’t help but notice you had left the entire bases for your Nationalist Chinese Infantry a solid blue. Were you going to eventually paint the
    N.C. insignia on their bases? Here’s a pic of the ones that “Allworkandnoclay” painted for me. I hope it might assist you in your painting. Keep up the good work.

“Tall Paul”

Yes, I’ve looked at his work extensively. I’m thinking of trying the roundel bases on a few infantry for each nation… I don’t know if I have the skill, but it should come with practice. I’ll let you know if I ever do that.

@Rorschach:

@Spitfire38:

@Rorschach:

@Spitfire38:

Remember, that’s $7 for one spray can of Krylon Fusion (at least that’s the price at the WalMart here).  You still have the other paints, and then a clear coat on top.  But yes, one can should prime your entire set.  Or pretty close to it.

I already have the paints and I already use a matte spray on them when they are done, so yes, just the primer is left. I’ll be sure to pick some up!

@majikforce:

Great job Spitfire!  Really cool idea and i love the pics.  Just a couple things I have learned painting.  I also use the acrylics and I have found that after washing the pieces a light primer coat helps a lot.  My pieces get a lot of handling and peeling was always an issue.  I don’t use the infantry pieces from the game so when I buy unique infantry sets to paint sometimes I get variations in the plastic used so a primer coat is a must.  I also use a matte clear coat to protect. (sometimes 2 coats)  I have found Krylon is the best.  I love to use the pieces when we play but some people don’t like them when we play.  They say its to hard to distinguish the different powers.  So when planning a paint scheme maybe take this into consideration.  I don’t always go for the authentic look.  I like to have a scheme that is easily recognizable and cool to look at.  And most of all have fun doing it!!  I also run into problems with storage.  As of now I store all my painted pieces with the regular ones in the boxes from Global.  I have the boxes compartmentalized into unit type but I find that the outer extremities of the infantry (guns, arm, hands etc) tend to peel more easily.  Any suggestions for storage I am all ears.  Keep up the good work!

Well you’re the 2nd person recommending primer, so I’ll have to try it! The guy I play with most often knows exactly which pieces are which because I share them with him as I’m painting and he knows what they look like, but with other people I can imagine it becomes a pain. My painted pieces are more just a personal project of mine because I don’t really have anyone to play with that often, but yes, I take that into consideration and try to make things color coded with insignias.As for storage and protection, I find that spraying them with an matte enamel spray afterwards helps the most. There isn’t much you can do to prevent chipping and such, especially on the infantry. I will post pictures of my storage boxes I made later. Its basically a box(es) from Target lined with felt and divided with balsa wood; not practical for transportation, but again, I don’t transport them much and it makes the storage look professional.

Thanks for the feedback all!

• '16 Customizer

Very well, it seems that I will paint the FMG Italian ground forces next! I will have to do some research on color schemes and practice priming some of my other pieces before I spray my purchased FMG ones. I am slammed this week with school and work, so I will probably not be posting any news for a few days. I’ll let you know if I get any work done.

• Customizer

Spitfire,

I just received a pic of my FMG Italian Infantry painted by “Allworkandnoclay”. I hope it might assist you with the paint scheme research you spoke of. I look forward to seeing more of your excellent paint jobs. Keep up the good work.

“Tall Paul”

fmg_italian_inf.jpg

• '16 Customizer

Thanks for the pics!! I love em. I think I’m going to do a dirtied/brown-washed desert sand scheme and also a grey/brown scheme. I’ll get to painting next week.

• '16 Customizer

Update: I tried spraying my French infantry with primer to get the hang of it and to see how well it works. It’s GREAT! The pieces only require about 1 coat of paint with a few touch ups, and the paint applies very easily. I’m sold.

To spray your pieces, just set them on a piece of cardboard, and give them a 2 light (keyword, light) coats of primer, one after the other has dried. You should basically follow the instructions on the can- hold it about 10 inches away from the pieces.

So when it is suitable weather here I will prime my FMG units and start painting those, but until then, I have started one “national infantry” French piece… it’s just a French infantry with the roundel on the base, and some good detailing work like highlighting and shadowing. Pics will follow when I am done.

• '16 Customizer

So, here are pics to follow up with my tutorial. As you can see in the first frame, the pieces are lined up about 1-2 inches apart. In the 2nd frame the pieces have been painted with one coat. The piece’s plastic still shines through a bit, but that’s good, because it means it is a light coat that doesn’t fill in the detail. Frame 3 is after 2 coats. Priming really helps the painting process!!

Frame 4 is after I painted a tan undercoat. I think I had done one brown ink wash too, but I don’t remember.

Here is a pic of one of the mech. inf I finished up on… just to see how it would look. I actually like it as a desert scheme a lot!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m