Does the US have enough production to win the war?

• My playgroup and I just finished our first full game of alpha 3 last night.  The game spanned two different saturdays and lasted many turns.  I played Germany/Italy and in the end the allies conceded (it looked like Moscow was going to fall in 3-4 turns).  I was deep into Russia and Western Europe was impregnable.  I’ll give credit to my friend who came up with a technique for pecking infantry away.  He kept attacking with 3 inf every turn taking amphibious shots with the stack of cruisers he had.  It got annoying because he was taking out anywhere between 2 and 7 inf a round from Denmark but no matter how much he built, invading Europe was a distant dream due to the forces I had there.  In the Pacific the US and Japan eventually met in a giant fleet battle with some of Anzac’s fleet participating as well.  The two two navy’s pretty much eradicated each other.  The US couldnt spare the resources to rebuild another Pacific fleet because he was tied up in Europe trying to prevent the downfall of the Soviet Union.  So even though Japan lost most of its fleet they were able to start rebuilding and slowly started steam rolling through mainland Asia.  The writing on the wall was evident for Calcutta.  So basically what’s the US to do?  My idea would be to spend the first 3 rounds building a massive fleet with transports and inf/arts to check Japan from getting their 6 victory cities.  Then spend the next 2 rounds building a fleet with trans of inf/arts to take Norway and build a factory there and then start purchasing 3 units a round for assistance to Russia with the rest of my income invested against Japan until Japan was no longer a threat to Anzac/Calcutta then reinvest everything again against Germany.  Just wanted to bounce this idea off of some of you more experienced players to get your opinion.  And if you don’t feel this is a a sound method for playing the US what do you suggest?

• i usually go full attack vs japan (unless sealion has occured)
    i send about 2 transports each round to africa, and perhaps small navy to keep italians down. what do the brits do in your game (expecially european)?

• @Dawkland:

I’ll give credit to my friend who came up with a technique for pecking infantry away.  He kept attacking with 3 inf every turn taking amphibious shots with the stack of cruisers he had.  It got annoying because he was taking out anywhere between 2 and 7 inf a round

Awesome idea!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

He can only shoot one bombardment per landing infantry…

• @Gargantua:

He can only shoot one bombardment per landing infantry…

I know! it’s still an interesting idea! and different to say the least.

• About the U.S. having enough production to win the war…… I think it depends. It seems no matter which board they spend on, the other board will grow to powerful and win. I Personally Think that the U.S. should try to halt Germany and Italy first because all but one victory city they need to win are on mainland Europe, while Japan has to move around to capture them, and they must invade Anzac, Hawaii, or Western U.S. Spend enough in the pacific to keep the Japs at bay while eliminating the German threat in the Atlantic and Europe. Just my thoughts.

• What I see happen with America in my games is poorly spent money. When I say poorly I mean that my opponent likes to build a lot of battleships and carriers and bombers. Big ticket items mostly. So what he likes to do is put the carriers with fighters and battleships and await attack while the bombers stand by to counter attack Japan’s fleet after the battle. Now we all know the problem with defending with battleships.

He spends the money of the other Allied countries much better and efficiently. Which is why he does better on their turns. He puts so much money into this that he neglects the Europe side to long or only does minor builds.

The point is that the money is poorly spent and that is why it may seem that America doesn’t have the money to win.

Don’t let the big number get to your head as it is less than it looks.

• Customizer

I think the best way for an Allied victory is for the US player to pick a strategy and STICK TO IT, at least for the most part.  Basically, it’s go after Japan first or go after Germany first.  They can’t really do both in a major fashion and from what I’ve seen, if the US splits it’s income evenly between both theaters, they won’t have enough to deal with either Axis effectively, although they will probably have better luck against Japan since it is only one power to deal with.
    This is just my opinion, but I think the best choice is to go hard after Japan first.  Try to pound their navy and get them hemmed up on their island.  With help from China, India and ANZAC, you should be able to eliminate them on the mainland and get them boxed in so they aren’t making much money.  You don’t even have to necessarily take Japan over, just convoy raid and SBR them into the poorhouse.  Then you can start sending stuff into the Atlantic and hopefully it will be before Moscow falls.  With Germany focusing on Russia and Italy fighting it out with UK in the Med and Africa, it shouldn’t be too hard for USA to breach Europe with a decent force.
    One thing USA should NEVER do is play reactionarily.  In other words, start out with one plan then “react” so something on the other board.  For example:  USA starts out pounding Japan.  Suddenly London falls so USA abandons the original plan and starts sending everything east to help out the Brits.  While this is a noble gesture, it is going to take time.  Germany isn’t going to just give up London to you and it may take several rounds to get it back and get the Brits back on their feet.  Well, what do you think Japan is doing during these few rounds?  Taking or re-taking territory and building up strength.  So all that you did earlier is erased.  Not to mention that even while Germany was fighting for London, they were also driving deeper into Russia and the Italians have probably got a good chunk of Africa and the Middle East.  So now what does USA do?  Japan is getting stronger and could possibly get the 6 of 8 on the Pacific board.  However, you don’t want to just let Germany and Italy go hog wild.
    Some people think that since they have such a huge income that it’s easy to play USA, but really in some ways that is the hardest country to play.

• @knp7765:

Some people think that since they have such a huge income that it’s easy to play USA, but really in some ways that is the hardest country to play.

Agree with this. We used to just stick the newer less experienced players as the U.S. but that proved to be bad for the allies cause when they when the U.S. entered and all the other allies needed their help, they weren’t ready and allowed the Axis to go “hog wild” and win the game.

• The US does not have enough income to represent its realistic capablities
    A real problem is that its a power that relies exclusively on transports to get to the action (japan also, but japan can build ICs on the coast, USA cant build ICs anywhere worthwhile)
    Transports that need a fleet to protect them.

The best thing that could be done to help the US is to give them some extra infantry in the mainland. To ease the burden of having to buy so many high cost units.
    Maybe like 4-8 more infantry.
    The US really didnt have a manpower shortage, and the draft had already begun by 1940.

The 4-8 infantry would allow the US to maybe buy another bomber and Cruiser over the course of the first few turns, while still able to fill its transports.
    I always feel the US shows up in a theatre with 3 units too few to really scare the axis player. They show up with enough that the axis can attack, and trade away planes for boats.
    Setting back the US by a little, and the axis by a little more.
    When in reality, the US should show up and the axis be very afraid to attack the US transports and fleet, and have to use its air units defensively. So that by turn 6 or so the US is the major allied agressor on the board. Not just the boogyman.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m