• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The real issue, in my mind, is that 10 IPC NO for America in America where it cannot be sniped, it cannot even draw American forces away to go reclaim it like the Aleutians, Line Islands or New Britian for ANZAC.  Without that NO the Japan vs America game becomes more balanced.  At least, it’s 2 destroyers America is not building!  (1 destoryer 8 IPC and you are still short 2 more IPC that you need for the second destroyer!)

Eh, for Delta, when we get to NOs, I’ll recommend splitting the American economy.  You spend in the Atlantic what you got in the Atlantic and what you get in the Pacific in the Pacific.  Then boost the NO from 10 to 15 with 10 Pacific and 5 Atlantic (Link the Atlantic one to W. Indies and Pacific one to Wake and Midway so they can both be sniped).  The stuff from the Atlantic can still get to the Pacific, it just takes an extra round to get them into position - or two rounds if you are winning in the Pacific.  To compensate, I’m giving you 5 more IPC a round, dude, what more could you ask for!

• Sponsor

Splitting the American income is arguable, decreasing the income is unacceptable, the sleeping giant should remain a giant IMO.

Back to playing alpha+3 in the pacific, would you take FIC and sacrifice your $10 NO to move closer to India without declaring war?

@Young:

Splitting the American income is arguable, decreasing the income is unacceptable, the sleeping giant should remain a giant IMO.

Back to playing alpha+3 in the pacific, would you take FIC and sacrifice your $10 NO to move closer to India without declaring war?

How about splitting the income and giving them more. :P  That is, what I offered ya know.

• Sponsor

How about triggering some NOs later than others?

• Anyone ever try upgrading to a major in western America?  You could upgrade, and still buy two AC. Then on A2 build 2crz 2sub and another AC. Or split the 52 up any way you like on A2.  Or save the remainder giving you 84 ipcs on A2.  You could  build 10 nice units on two?

IMO attacking J2 can get pretty bad for Japan. Even more so if you are expecting it. UK and Anzac can declare war on R1 and get the NO bonus. They can also set up blocks to stop Japan from attacking until 4. Giving America more time to get wher they need to be.  America can have a fleet sitting right on Japan’s doorstep with alot of fire power.

• @TheOne:

Anyone ever try upgrading to a major in western America?  You could upgrade, and still buy two AC. Then on A2 build 2crz 2sub and another AC. Or split the 52 up any way you like on A2.  Or save the remainder giving you 84 ipcs on A2.  You could  build 10 nice units on two?

IMO attacking J2 can get pretty bad for Japan. Even more so if you are expecting it. UK and Anzac can declare war on R1 and get the NO bonus. They can also set up blocks to stop Japan from attacking until 4. Giving America more time to get wher they need to be.  America can have a fleet sitting right on Japan’s doorstep with alot of fire power.

Are you serious?

If you want to go that route, get a minor in Mexico and you can build 6 units in SZ 10 a round for rounds 2-4.  Cheaper than an upgrade to major complex!

• I’m not saying that I have done this or plan too. Or even if that is a good idea lol. It was just a question if anyone has ever done so.

@TheOne:

I’m not saying that I have done this or plan too. Or even if that is a good idea lol. It was just a question if anyone has ever done so.

As I said, a minor complex in Mexico is a better investment.  I don’t think you are buying 7 units with the US before you go to war (because you cannot without saving at least 4 IPC to do so) so why spend 20 IPC when 12 IPC will do?

• exactly, also those 20 IPC would be wasted since the IC’s will upgrade for free when USA enters the war. That’s 2 fighters!

But even an IC in mexico (which would be better than upgrading, yes) feels like wasted money. If you want to build up a large Pacific fleet fast, start with planes (put in central or East USA) + fleet (for ex. turn 1: 2 AC’s + 2 FIGS, land the planes on the AC’s next turn)

Another way is to place some ships (up to 6) turn 1 in SZ101, next turn they sail to SZ11, which is 2 zones from Hawaii, so they can reach Hawaii in turn 3, together with the West coast fleet made in turn 2.
    So with the 20 IPC you save on upgrading you can buy 3 subs for SZ101 (or 2 subs instead of a Mex IC)

I gotta admit, I’m just really unhappy with America, in this game, from all sides.  It just feels like this weird country that does not fit in.  Kind of like the Sesame Street Song:  “One of these things is not like the other!  One of these things just does not belong!”

But without getting into a discussion of how we can make it like all the other little boys and girls, or if we should, I have seen the Mexican IC work as it allows 6 destroyers to be built on rounds 2 and 3.  Not saying great idea, probably is if Japan threatens W. USA early, otherwise, stick with warships or save your cash.  (Once I did a lot of bombers and some warships 3 Strategic Bombers + 2 Destroyers for 2 rounds using the bombers to pummel the Germans to dust.)

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

I gotta admit, I’m just really unhappy with America, in this game, from all sides.  It just feels like this weird country that does not fit in.  Kind of like the Sesame Street Song:  “One of these things is not like the other!  One of these things just does not belong!”

But without getting into a discussion of how we can make it like all the other little boys and girls, or if we should, I have seen the Mexican IC work as it allows 6 destroyers to be built on rounds 2 and 3.  Not saying great idea, probably is if Japan threatens W. USA early, otherwise, stick with warships or save your cash.  (Once I did a lot of bombers and some warships 3 Strategic Bombers + 2 Destroyers for 2 rounds using the bombers to pummel the Germans to dust.)

After playing every individual nation in many 6 player games, I have come to appreciate how every power is unique and different to play. I think it really adds to the nostalgia of playing this game, even if it does make it more complicated to learn.

I still really see the game as two types of nations:  Land Powers, Naval Powers

Now in 1940 we’ve added a third and fourth type of nations:  Empire Powers (UKE, UKP) and Warlord Powers (USA).  I don’t think I like the last two.

That said, I have seen two AA40 games where America was pretty decimated!  But that still resulted in an Allied win from Axis surrender due to the shear amount of resources needed to keep America down.  That is not the case for any other nation.  I think all nations should be about equal in attainable power and that’s what I don’t like about America - it takes no effort at all to make America a massive indominable force of nature.  I understand that America is the nation of the country that the game was created in, and there is going to be some American Nationalism or Exceptionalism, there was in Classic, Revised and Anniversary as well - just no where near (in my opinion) as pronounced as it is in 1940.

• What is the problem with US being so powerful? In the real war US was pretty amazing. Read some books on the numbers of military units produced and US will blow your mind. I bet Russia’s production will blow your mind as well. Russia’s production, if historically accurate should be something in the 60’s, and America in the 80 pre war 110 after war.

• I understand that America is the nation of the country that the game was created in, and there is going to be some American Nationalism or Exceptionalism

Dammit Jen, that’s not why America is why it is.  I’m hardly a raging patriot, but this always angers me a little bit when you say this.  Not because I’m offended for America or anything, but because you are way over simplifying the facts of history here.

The fact is, America’s economic production was tremendously above that of every other nation.  It was above that of every Axis nation, combined!  Obviously things need to not be exactly as they were in history - for game balance.  But we can balance the game while still representing this economic phenomena.

I think all nations should be about equal in attainable power and that’s what I don’t like about America

No Jen, that’s retarded.  America should be damn near impossible to take.  And if it is taken, it should take a lot to do it.  America’s production should be the clock above the Axis powers’ heads, reminding them they must attain victory, or at least economic parity, before too long.

Sorry if I seem angry, but this is because of reality, not Larry’s supposed nationalism.

• I don’t know if this is just me, but it seams with my group playing America is actually quite a challenge. Yea you get 80+ ipc’s but usually the pressure put on America is alot since the allies on both sides of the map need your help. And when you go to destroy one side, the other side becomes to massive to deal with IMHO

• Sponsor

@otahere34:

I don’t know if this is just me, but it seams with my group playing America is actually quite a challenge. Yea you get 80+ ipc’s but usually the pressure put on America is alot since the allies on both sides of the map need your help. And when you go to destroy one side, the other side becomes to massive to deal with IMHO

Where do you get $80+ IPCs for the US?

$52 Original income ($50 if you lose the Philippines)
    $25 National objectives when at war ($20 if you lose the Philippines)
    $2 Additional income if you land in Brazil

Thats $79 total ($70 if you lose the Philippines and don’t take Brazil)

After all that, the only extra income you will ever find is…. Norway & Finland, or Tokyo & Korea.

Like you said, one side or the other right, so if Tokyo and Korea are worth $11 than you’ll be making between $80 to $85 maximum for the United States, but when you say 80+… it sounds like you’re saying “the sky’s the limit for the US economy”, which is not the case.

• Sorry thinking OOB. Either way my point is still their. Either way you go, while that power is going to get beat to hell the other half of the world just grows to strong. In our games Germany gets up to 60+ ipcs by round 5 or 6, and Japan is still not knocked out but they usually do in round 7.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m