• While playing a game against the horrible AI of triple a, I had an idea that had severe pros and cons. What if, immediately following entry into the war, the US amphibiously landed into Spain? The Cons are more noticeable. Historically makes no sense, turns many neutrals pro Axis, etc etc. But the pros are just as evident, and arguably greater. The Allied foothold in Mainland Western Europe via Spain would be much more logistical, based on the fact that the time to get US troops into Europe would only take 1 turn. This would also limit the amount of transports bought buy the US to ferry the mass quantities of supply. Another bonus is the fact that many more troops would have to be diverted from other Axis fronts to defend this new front. Italy is much more accessible, as well as Paris and in turn, Berlin itself. But for those gamers who believe that during the actual war, the US would never have attacked a neutral power, think back to when Franco was supported just 3 years earlier by Axis Forces, and Spain could’ve been persuaded to join the Axis side. In this viewpoint, I think a possible invasion of Spain is justified. Fell free to respond, and PLEASE CRITIQUE IF YOU WANT! This is a fun forum for people to discuss the game, and how to mix it up, so I enjoy what you guys have to say!

Thanks in advance,
                            SJS063

• Sponsor

Our group has done this with success because it’s a 10 transport shuck of 20 units straight into Spain along with an American IC, and British fighters for protection. However, it takes awhile to get to that point and Japan is relatively left alone, so it only works on unsuspecting opponents, so after you win once with it… that’s it.

• This is a great stat for the Europe stand alone board, but it doesn’t work so well in global where you are strapped for cash as US.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I only do it if I also know I can take Turkey before Germany/Italy get a chance to reinforce it.

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

I only do it if I also know I can take Turkey before Germany/Italy get a chance to reinforce it.

… or surround it, I would rather attack Axis units instead of standing army neutrals. Better to have numbers in the Middle East and force Italy to use their resources trying to get the 8 infantry in Turkey. IMO… that’s a better battle than getting diced against neutrals before knowing if the Axis can even put together a landing.

• Customizer

@Young:

Our group has done this with success because it’s a 10 transport shuck of 20 units straight into Spain along with an American IC, and British fighters for protection. However, it takes awhile to get to that point and Japan is relatively left alone, so it only works on unsuspecting opponents, so after you win once with it… that’s it.

You know that with your new production rules that this would not be possible. However, the 1 turn US reinforcements may still be worth it. It’s quite possible that the US could outnumber German units fairly quickly.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

@Young:

You know that with your new production rules that this would not be possible. However, the 1 turn US reinforcements may still be worth it. It’s quite possible that the US could outnumber German units fairly quickly.

I actually like my rules blocking this strategy as I have always found it to be a cheesy move, but I also understand the Allies need to do things like this, because they’re strategically backed into a corner every game.

• I have attacked Spain as part of a neutral crush (need to also have the UK/Anz, and Russia ready to ponce on the neutrals they can reach like Turkey (Russia w/some mech/air), Saudi and Africa, are good targets for UK, and even Afgan from India (if Japan is threatening India the UK can disguise it by evacuating to W India, then pounce on Afgan on their way to Russia). I’ve also set-up Anz to hit S America (is really close for them, and can be a better source of income for them).

I would station the US transport fleet in sz 91 asap, but off load your troops on Gib (make sure your navy is safe (watch for the Italians opening up a landing spot for the Luftwaffe). The axis would look at this as a normal threat to Norway, Normandy, S France, or Italy etc…… Then on your next US turn start the fireworks attacking Spain by land from Gib along w/more transports/units you have built at E US, and send the transports that were empty in sz91(troops placed on Gib) back to E US to reload on you next turn (have troops coming over every turn). UK sends in air support to Spain until you can get your own ftrs over (maybe carrier planes), build an IC, maybe an AB to support your fleet (you already have the use of the Gib NB).

Have the UK/Anz hit other neutrals they can reach. Turkey is a problem, Italy may activate them and the Germans can land planes to support (but they may not if the are overwhelmed by you Spanish Acquisition). Russia might be able to hit Turkey if prepared (a few inf/art in Caucasus (looks like they are going to Iraq), and a few mech built in Stalingrad with air power (even if its a hit & run to kill off some units). Sweden is going German, not sure if the Russians or UK could could do much about that. I don’t believe you have to worry about the Mongolians because of the NAP rules they won’t turn Japanese if the other neutrals are hit (kinda aligned w/Russia w/NAP).

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

I remember the Spanish landing pad in Classic save 3 ipcs haha ;)

Its interesting how the new Neutral rules in G40 allow for this to occur again, though I really haven’t seen it play out all that often.

I’m also curious about True Neutrals from the Axis DoW perspective…
    Someone in another thread posed the question, is there anything at all that Germany could do, “to save Italy’s Bacon?”
    I wonder if a G1 or G2 DoW on the true neutrals, would throw such a crazy distraction down, that the Allies would basically be forced to do things totally differently than they are used to?

I mean, USA would still be hamstrung if Japan doesn’t declare war on it. So UK would be under major added pressure to try and activate as many “newly Pro-Allied” neutrals as possible. Its possible that Axis might benefit from Allies moving out much sooner to try and capture territories like Spain, and ignoring other goals (like crushing Italy in the process.)
    Germany could still ignore most of the territories in their sphere of influence, like Switzerland or Sweden.

Instead they could try to boot UK out of Spain, before USA has a chance to back them up. Turkey would probably be much easier to grab early on, before Russia develops a stack in the south, and Bulgaria is right next door. If Germany threw everything at it before declaring on Russia, this could be an interesting approach to Taranto/Allied Med Crush deterrence.

Basically just lighting up an insane powder keg, to totally screw with whatever plans the Allies might have been hoping to execute, by pre-empting the Neutrals right out the gate! haha

Wonder how it might shake down? Probably terribly for Axis on G1 :-D
    It’d be kind of fun to see though, what the UK would do in this situation.

Better for Axis to make a G2 DoW on the true neutrals?

They could probably still catch the UK off guard, but with Axis in a better strategic position to exploit the Neutral DoW. You could use a Romania bounce on G1 to get your units closer to Turkey and set up for the second round. Put the German Armor and Mech into position on Spain out of Paris (might be a good reason to try for S. France to support gambit as well). UK might also have less transports at the ready during UK2, since presumably they would have pulled them back to safer positions by then, not anticipating the need to rapidly activate a bunch of neutral territories. Might be cool, to see if G could make it work.

It would likely activate Saudi, Afghanistan, Mozambique, S. America for Allies, but Axis might get the drop on Europe itself.
    You know, just musing on some True Neutral Axis attack strategies to counter the USA landing pad in Spain strategy hehe

ps. How would you set up a G2 DoW of True Neutrals?

G feints a Sea Lion or set up on Russia, but then pulls out a crazy True Neutral DoW instead? Haha

I’m thinking you’d really want Spain and Sweden taken on G2. Turkey would be an immediate priority though, and harder to set up for. Might have to wait till G3 or later for that. Or perhaps Italy could nab it somehow after an early tank launch by G. Definitely waiting until G3 to declare against Russia. Would almost certainly require J3 or later DoW on USA.

This would defeat the USA invasion of Spain, or at least totally upend its ordinary execution, where Allies have time to plan and feint, since Franco would already be on the Axis team by then, and the Swedes, and the hopefully the Turks.

Given the power of the strength of the Luftwaffe in the north, Sweden would be a cakewalk once you activate Finland. Spain doesn’t seem like a huge stretch for G2, since the bombers, tanks and mech could ride in on the blitz across S. France. Turkey could have fair number of German tanks and mech in range, but Greece is definitely a stumbling block there. Not sure how to set up for taking Turkey in G2, so seems like it would have to wait?

But from Spain, if Axis could hold it, you could ride overland into Gibraltar with Italy to disrupt Allied movement into the Med.

Seems like any way to play it, you’d probably be looking at delayed declarations of War by the Axis powers against USA/Russia.

• '14 Customizer

@Black_Elk:

ps. How would you set up a G2 DoW of True Neutrals?

G feints a Sea Lion or set up on Russia, but then pulls out a crazy True Neutral DoW instead? Haha

I’m thinking you’d really want Spain and Sweden taken on G2. Turkey would be an immediate priority though, and harder to set up for. Might have to wait till G3 or later for that. Or perhaps Italy could nab it somehow after an early tank launch by G. Definitely waiting until G3 to declare against Russia. Would almost certainly require J3 or later DoW on USA.

This would defeat the USA invasion of Spain, or at least totally upend its ordinary execution, where Allies have time to plan and feint, since Franco would already be on the Axis team by then, and the Swedes, and the hopefully the Turks.

Given the power of the strength of the Luftwaffe in the north, Sweden would be a cakewalk once you activate Finland. Spain doesn’t seem like a huge stretch for G2, since the bombers, tanks and mech could ride in on the blitz across S. France. Turkey could have fair number of German tanks and mech in range, but Greece is definitely a stumbling block there. Not sure how to set up for taking Turkey in G2, so seems like it would have to wait?

But from Spain, if Axis could hold it, you could ride overland into Gibraltar with Italy to disrupt Allied movement into the Med.

Seems like any way to play it, you’d probably be looking at delayed declarations of War by the Axis powers against USA/Russia.

Sounds very similar to my “Angry Bird” - Turkey goes to war ;) - Strategy I posted here when I first started playing Global. Its interesting but has many situational flaws. I would mix it up from game to game as well. Usually purchased 3 mech and an IC in Romania round 1 or mostly tanks and mech to race through Turkey. If Italy has a navy this is a really good strategy and easy to do because Italy can take Turkey and Germany land air their next round. Then Italy moves the navy into the Black sea and the possibilities become endless. It doesn’t work every time and depends on many factors but can be successful.

• Hmmm, beet them to the punch, interesting. A G2 seems to be the best fit for an axis surprise neutral crush so you can grab what you need and start your coastal defense.  Italy’s fleet probably gets clobbered UK1 regardless (axis haven’t shown its hand yet), but they could take Greece and maybe help out w/Turkey It2-It3. Turkey opens up the Russian and UK oil fields (and the Black Sea), plus the Russian income underbelly of the south. The question is would the Germans still be able to drive on Moscow from the Russian southern underbelly, they have basically invited an early 2 front war. The Germans will need to spend more resources on the Euro coast line (Spain) then normal in an attempt to keep the US off of the beaches. The US would be licking its chops for Spain, but that makes Japans life much easier (US probably spends heavily in Europe). So what does Japan do, go for the Pac win, or make advances into the Mid East, Africa to help cripple the allied income?

• '14 Customizer

The times I have played this strategy Japan concentrates on China and Russia since they try to keep USA out of the war as long as possible.  I have played it once with Japan attacking USA on turn 1 and wiping out the Hawaiian navy from the start as well as the Philippines and taking Wake’s AB.  This really puts US in a tough position.  They can’t go 100% Atlantic without losing the Pacific.  Its dicey though and Japan ends up risking quite a bit as well as delaying the capture of the DEI.  It definitely makes for a different game though.

The Angry Bird! haha I dig it  :-D

Its interesting to consider how this might pan out. A big fake out move be Germany to lock down the Neutrals. Allies would come out ahead in potential infantry gained, but they’d also be out of position. I could see this working with a hardcore Sea Lion threat, or a factory in Romania feint. Anyone ever try buying a carrier and a minor factory on G1? You could use the carrier to secure the Baltic, and the factory could be upgraded to a Major on G2. All the while the Allies would be wondering, “what the hell are they doing?” hehe. Might be fun

• I don’t know how you guys are attacking the true neutrals with the allies in Global. The problem with attacking the Neutrals is that you need US to invest heavily in the attack to make it pay off, while this is great on the Europe side of the map, Japan is surely going to win if you invest that heavily with US in Atlantic. 20 ground troops a turn is Amazing for America landing in Spain every turn, but 60 dollars worth of infantry means nearly nothing is going towards Japan. Sounds great, but as usual I think people really underestimates Japans ability to win. India is a sure thing, and if Japan is building fleet, then Hawaii would be a sure thing as well.

• @theROCmonster:

I don’t know how you guys are attacking the true neutrals with the allies in Global. The problem with attacking the Neutrals is that you need US to invest heavily in the attack to make it pay off, while this is great on the Europe side of the map, Japan is surely going to win if you invest that heavily with US in Atlantic. 20 ground troops a turn is Amazing for America landing in Spain every turn, but 60 dollars worth of infantry means nearly nothing is going towards Japan. Sounds great, but as usual I think people really underestimates Japans ability to win. India is a sure thing, and if Japan is building fleet, then Hawaii would be a sure thing as well.

I think it depends on how the game is going in Europe.  US might not need that many ground troops to land in Spain and hold it with UK reinforcements/air.

• Turkey as a pro Axis? The possibilities are endless….

• @IKE:

@theROCmonster:

I don’t know how you guys are attacking the true neutrals with the allies in Global. The problem with attacking the Neutrals is that you need US to invest heavily in the attack to make it pay off, while this is great on the Europe side of the map, Japan is surely going to win if you invest that heavily with US in Atlantic. 20 ground troops a turn is Amazing for America landing in Spain every turn, but 60 dollars worth of infantry means nearly nothing is going towards Japan. Sounds great, but as usual I think people really underestimates Japans ability to win. India is a sure thing, and if Japan is building fleet, then Hawaii would be a sure thing as well.

I think it depends on how the game is going in Europe.  US might not need that many ground troops to land in Spain and hold it with UK reinforcements/air.

To make Spain worth taking US needs to constantly be shucking 20 guys over. This is because when you take Spain you give Afghanistan, Sweeden, Switzerland, and Turkey to the axis powers. Also the Mongolian troops. The whole point of landing in Spain is that you now give UK and US a place to land in Europe. This is why I don’t think attacking Spain is worth it in Global because you have Japan to worry about.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m