• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@JimmyHat:

@Stalingradski:

Jennifer - a great point about the value of fighters, and a valid listing of relative importance. For me, I’d flip-flop Germany and Japan, because I find the use of multiple airbases (W Germany, Greece, Leningrad to support an unprotected transport in the late game, S Italy) to be necessary for the entire defense of Europe. Japan’s are important, but they have a wealth of them.

I’d drop China, sure their ftr is irreplaceable, but it also can’t leave China and has to operate with other Chinese forces.  It can be ignored by Japan and if destroyed doesn’t hamper Chinese attacks too greatly.

Assuming it has to be in the list, because it exists, I put it where it was because it could not be replaced and was the only unit with a reliable hit rate for China. (Infantry 17%, Artillery 33%, Fighter 50%, reliability for me starts at 50% so…)

• For me reliability is in mass numbers.  The more dice I roll the more likely I am to have an ‘average’ result over all the dice.  So 1 50% hit vs 10 33% hits for example….

• @JimmyHat:

For me reliability is in mass numbers.  The more dice I roll the more likely I am to have an ‘average’ result over all the dice.  So 1 50% hit vs 10 33% hits for example….

1 50% adds a lot more to the average than 1 33%.

• You’re so right Ruanek….wonder if China can get more than 1 unit hitting 33% of the time.  Oh yeah they can build an army that does it.  So, 15 units hitting at 33% or 1 unit hitting at 50%.  My point being that Chinese ftr is relatively powerless.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The importance of the fighter for china isn’t it’s attack power, as much as it is it’s range.

It can give you the punch where you need it most,  and it’s integral to any serious defence.  That’s why it’s important.

• @JimmyHat:

You’re so right Ruanek….wonder if China can get more than 1 unit hitting 33% of the time.  Oh yeah they can build an army that does it.  So, 15 units hitting at 33% or 1 unit hitting at 50%.   My point being that Chinese ftr is relatively powerless.

That Chinese fighter is worth more than anything China can ever build.  And it’s irreplaceable.  And as Gargantua said, its movement is useful.

@Gargantua:

The importance of the fighter for china isn’t it’s attack power, as much as it is it’s range.

It can give you the punch where you need it most,  and it’s integral to any serious defence.  That’s why it’s important.

It’s also why Japan is willing to trade 3 or 4 of their own aircraft to kill it.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I would trade 2, on gamble maybe.  But not 3 or 4 personally :P

@Gargantua:

I would trade 2, on gamble maybe.  But not 3 or 4 personally :P

If they land the fighter in the back with 2 or 3 infantry defending it, I’m willing to throw 10 aircraft into a fight to get it.  Which might mean 4 losses.

• thats the spirit, clean out territories and then theres nothing to stop ya no one to fight

• The few games I campaigned through China I used the jap aa gun to try and kill that ftr.  I remember it worked at least once.  a small stack against a chinese attack that is light on arty means China will have to bring the ftr to have the punch to clear the zone.  This can work great if you are cutting the Burma road every round.

I also did air raid it the first game I played Japan too.  I just don’t think that ftr is really worth gunning for.  Now if it could leave China or attack the sz’s on the coast it would be dead meat.

I’d rather kill that ftr when its attacking than having to go in and dig it out when its rolling 4’s.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m