• Would a bomber in Russia (+12 bid) be a good idea?  I am not sure if the game is balanced OOB?

• Welcome to the forum USA8.

You are correct - the game is not balanced and the allies need some help.

Personally I am happy to take the allies on an 8 bid, which allows a destroyer in the Atlantic.

• Thanks, Private Panic!  You are one of the guys that really sold me on the game with your comments in other sections.

Where would you put the Destroyer in the Atlantic?  Does this really help to balance things out in your experience?

I guess the bomber would not help much.

• That is my view - that a Russian bomber does not help much. Especially given that Moscow’s survival is primarily about defence.

I would put a UK destroyer off Canada. That will help the RN with its counterattack against the Kreigsmarine and bring forward the point at which the allies have a fleet off G’s Atlantic coast, which will be a big help to Russia when you get it there.

Pleased to know that someone out there listens to me on occasion! Hopefully your enjoyment of the game will make you glad you did!

Have fun! :-D

Cheers
    PP

• Cool!  I can’t wait to get back into playing.

Do you strafe Ukraine with 2 tanks, 3 infantry on R1?  Or do you go all in on West Russia?  Fly the fighter to Egypt?

Looks like the Germans have a lot of options during G1 including counterattacks on West Russia and the Ukraine or Caucasus.  Plus they can hit Egypt, and as you pointed out, they can start clearing the Atlantic.

• In my two playing groups the norm is for R to send everything into W Russia. On occasion a mad G player then tries to attack that stack, but the odds are against him and his high value units are at risk. If G tries that and allows R to take out too many of his high value units, then the allies will win the game.

Instead G air is better used to support naval units clearing the Atlantic, so as to slow down the inevitable allied fleet off Norway. If that fleet arrives too late Moscow will fall, especially if Japan is helping via China. So slowing it down is critical.

G will take Leningrad and the Caucs but R can retake from from W Russia.

Usually G recognises that the war is won in R and does not go for Egypt. Africa is worth so few ipcs that it gets little attention.

That is my two playing groups. No doubt your will find a different way to play!

• Very helpful!  Thank you.  I wonder what Germany should do with that transport in the Med.

• Lose it! Although I did once get bit all the way up to the Eng Ch and take London!

• '17 '16

@Private:

Lose it! Although I did once get bit all the way up to the Eng Ch and take London!

It seems this game only really start when Russia is conquered. I am wrong?

• Are you saying, Baron, that the capture of London is a distraction from the Russian front? If so, then you are probably right, unless London presents itself as an attainable objective despite not having planned for it. The same thing is probably true for all A&A WW2 variants.

Or that the game does not get interesting until Moscow has been captured by the axis?

• '17 '16

@Private:

Are you saying, Baron, that the capture of London is a distraction from the Russian front? If so, then you are probably right, unless London presents itself as an attainable objective despite not having planned for it. The same thing is probably true for all A&A WW2 variants.

Or that the game does not get interesting until Moscow has been captured by the axis?

I read somewhere else that this game is still undecided when Russia falls and becomes UK+US vs Germany+Japan.
    I never had enough time to test this idea.

• Hi Baron

As in all the variants I have played the allies can win despite losing Russia. But with J also capturing the money islands the allies are on the back foot I think.

• After playing a few games on Triple A, I think a bomber in Russia does balance the game.  A R1 attack on Manchuria with 1 Bomber and 3 Inf is not as risky and can slow Japan from marching to the middle of the map.  This gives Russia + Allies more time to defend Moscow against Germany.  Yeah, you don’t have 3 more infantry from the east to protect Moscow, but like most variants, the Axis want to meet in the middle and take out the Soviets.

• It is always good to start by playing triple A, USA8, as a way of learning the basics. That is how many of us started out.

Of course you can now play other members of the forum using triple A. If you ever want to do that and need any pointers at what to do then just ask.

It may be hard to find an opponent who wants to play 1941 however.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m