• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Rostov and Rostov alone, because it is a MAJOR choke point against the fascist forces, if you want to keep them out of your capital, AND out of the oil fields.

Rostov, is a VERY likely position for the bulk of your army to sit, if you are facing a significant german invasion from the south.  Any movements north, and you’ll counter attack - regrouping into your latest equipment build into your capital with a retreat.  Any Movement to the south, and they’ve got to go THROUGH you.  It also puts you in position to LIBERATE the caucusus,  and killing Germans piece meal on YOUR OWN terms, is always a better idea.

Lastly, In short It’s ROSTOV because you want your planes to be with the rest of your army.

• Oh OK I get it. I was thinking you would put it on Caucasus because if they are using the amphibious assaults as a way to get around you to the oil, putting the fighter base there would help defend against that.  But if its in Rostov, the airbase itself is defended by troops marching past from Stalingrad toward Ukraine.  Gotcha.  Thanks!

• Customizer

@kcdzim:

No.  Subs alone never make a seazone hostile and the transports aren’t obligated to attack the sub.  The transports would never be automatically be destroyed until attacked.  That gives Germany a turn to place a warship, in the event they want to defend the transports from the sub.

However, if they don’t, on Russia’s next turn those transports are probably toast.

AW MAN!  I did it wrong and wasted 3 transports for nothing!  So when Russia puts a sub there, on Germany’s turn I could have kept my transports and simply put a destroyer there.  Then on Russia’s turn, it becomes an attack and with the destroyer, my scrambled fighters could then nail that sub and still save my transports.  Dang it!  That would have been a lot better than buying 3 NEW transports and a destroyer for the next round.  Germany ended up destroying Russia anyway, but maybe I could have saved a round.  Oh well, thanks for letting me know.  I will remember this for next game.

• '10

As you can see this is a gamble, but it CAN work.

If Russia is spending money on Airbases, subs, and losing aircraft that it is working.

As long as you are matching his Land army builds and pushing towards and objective also.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m