• Customizer

@gsh34:

knp,

Awesome posts.  I have a very high urge to comment, but I must with hold in case you are currently playing this game.  Also, from the sounds of it, the French really, really threw a wrench in how strongly the Germans can come to North America.  Still, the look on the US players face when they realized what the Germans and Japanese were doing in conjunction must have been great!

Thanks.  I thought you might want to hear from someone who actually tried out your strategy.  Again, sorry for so many long posts, but I just wanted to try and remember the most important happenings of the game.  It is over, we finished it this morning.  It took 13 rounds.  Yeah, the US player’s face was pretty good when Germany moved that fleet of transports down to Gibraltar.  At first he was kind of squinty-eyed, like a suspicious, “working-it-out” expression.  Then he looked over at the massive Japanese build up and back at the Germans and Italians in SZ 91 and his eyes got all big.  Then on his turn it was a little funnier because he was almost manic trying to see how much stuff he had and where he could put it to protect the capital.  He would move a couple of pieces, then look back over at the German fleet, then move a few more his pieces, then look at the Japanese fleet.  It was really amusing.
    Yeah, I don’t understand how the French got such good dice this time.  I mean, yeah they still died but they took A LOT of Germans and Italians with them.  This kind of thing has only happened a couple of other times in our games, and both of those times Italy took France on I1 and didn’t have such trouble with the French fleet.  Most games, France is, well, relatively easy.  I have to think if taking France would have went better and Germany had that extra money Round 2, they could have bought the 9 transports and maybe things would have went a little different.  Heck, maybe Germany could have even went right after EUS instead of CUS and “capped” the game right there.

• knp,

A few questions and comments in no particular order:

How many transports did Japan bring over to N. America and where did they land exactly?
    What did Japan buy on J3?  I am hoping that they would be able to buy either more transports, or more likely, planes to send to N. America for a concerted bombing campaign.
    What did UK Pacific and ANZAC do when Japan went against the US so early?

The reason for my planned J3 attack (in my mind at least) is that, while the US complexes are upgraded for the US purchase on US 3, that would be the only time they collect their continental bonus.  On US 4, they would be unable to retake W. US and therefore not be an all consuming juggernaught.  Also, landing on J3 in British Columbia is designed so that C. US and W. US fall on G4 (C. US) and J4 (W. US) respectively.  Some more on this….on US 3, seeing what can really happen, they could buy an airbase for C. US so six planes could be scrambled in defense of sz 101.  That is why I would seriously consider attacking the US Pacific fleet on J3 if a bunch of carriers had fighters on them.  If you had a reasonable chance of winning, you could destroy those US planes before they have a chance to be used in defense of E. US or sz 101.
    More on J3 pros (I’m not trying to be overbearing, just to lay out why I think it is good to try in this strategy)…on J4, your entire air force with bombers could land in British Columbia and starting on J5 you could strategic bomb E. US.

As long as I can keep my capitals, I would be willing to sell out everything else to bring maximum pressure against the US to see if it could fall first. (It’s worth a try at least once.  Right?)
    Something else to keep in mind, you can try this again up to the G3 turn.  That is when you have to commit to this or not.  If the US, knowing this is possible now, builds in the E. US or simply builds ground units, you can still do Sealion with Germany if it is not looking favorable to the Axis.  Then, instead of landing in N. America on J3, you could take Hawaii.  J4, move to and take Queensland.  J5, capture New South Wales and a whole lot of other stuff with all the Japanese transports you have.  I don’t know that this would be a winning strategy, but it would give you  a chance to look and see how your opponent responds KNOWING that Kill America First is a possibility.

• No need to apologize for the length of your posts.  That was exactly the information I was hoping someone would post.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If Germany gets E. USA/C. USA they’re getting an extra 32 IPC a round, pushing Russia out shouldn’t be overly difficult, even if they collect the NOs for Norway, Poland, Hungary, S. Germany and Romania for 3 rounds.

• Customizer

Let’s see if I can remember.  I think Japan had about 13 transports.  One of those had 1 inf and 1 AA gun.  It landed in BC on the NCM.  As for the other 12,  Half landed on British Columbia and half on Alaska.  Also, the very first transport, the one that went with the major fleet of warships, it had 1 inf + 1 tank and ended up taking Hawaii.
    On J3, Japan did buy a couple of transports plus an extra bomber.  They used the transports to take Midway and Wake to get the 5 of 7 bonus.
    UK Pacific and ANZAC started having some fun at Japan’s expense.  They declared war on either turn 2 or 3, UK took Siam and Hainan, ANZAC took Formosa.  I had to keep planes on Japan around to make sure UK and ANZAC warships didn’t get too close to my transports.

I understand your thinking on landing in N America on J3.  It was just our feeling that since US goes right after Japan, if they got their Major ICs then on G4, Germany simply wouldn’t be able to take either EUS or CUS.  Of course, this is also due to the absolutely miserable handling of France by Germany.  They really should have taken France G1 and had the huge money to buy more transports for a decent invasion force.  That and Japan’s decision to wait until J4, thus taking WUS on J5, led to the downfall of this plan.
    Sometimes we switch around and play different countries so maybe this plan will work on a different US player.  Maybe after 2 or 3 more games, we might try it again.  Sometimes it can be a while between games and whomever plays the US then might have forgotten this trick.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

They get their majors yes, but they can’t spend their full income before Germany goes again, they can only collect it.

America will have 3 to 4 rounds to build, but do they have the cash to build enough?  Film at eleven.

• We always pull the round flags out of a cup, It’s not to often that one person plays one country time  after time. It does happen once in a while that you might pull the same one game after game but usually your opponents are different. With the ALPHA+2, I pulled Japan 4 times in a row. and one of the regulars has played U.K. alot
      9 out of 10 games we have 5 at the table

• @TheDefinitiveS:

Try a Naval base in Iceland. A bit expensive to set up but you then have the option to keep going with Sealion or you can make it to EUS or somewhere in Canada.

You can reach at the same interesting territories (and more) from SZ 91 assuming you hold Gibraltar, so I don’t really think this has any merit.

• knp7765 @
    Interesting game report, but I don’t think we should evaluate this strategy based on a scenario where the invasion of France failed.

What about UK support to the US? Could that mess with the odds? I mean once the Germans land in C.US the UK should realize that they are off the hook. They could pump out quite a few units (tanks?) in Canada and send planes from the UK.

Should the Germans divert rosources to take out Quebec early to prevent this?

• @ozimek1:

knp7765 @
    Interesting game report, but I don’t think we should evaluate this strategy based on a scenario where the invasion of France failed.

What about UK support to the US? Could that mess with the odds? I mean once the Germans land in C.US the UK should realize that they are off the hook. They could pump out quite a few units (tanks?) in Canada and send planes from the UK.

I think taking Quebec before the USA would trigger a massive and quick defensive build by USA. Better to take them more by surprised if possible. The best would be if you had enough troops to survive the UK Canadian build, which should be plausible if the move is a surprise. Then London should be stocked with infantry (KAF will look like Sealion) and not much additional in Canada.

I’m working on a plan for KAF as well, which will involve taking Gilbrata early and then a joint German/Italian invasion fleet should be able to hit East USA. The question is whether UK/USA thinks Germany will move in force to Africa/Med or identify the threat to the US.

• Customizer

@ozimek1:

knp7765 @

Yeah, I agree about the France part.  This scenario would have obviously went a lot better if Germany, and then Italy, hadn’t failed in taking France round 1.  I hope to try this again sometime in the future when hopefully our USA player has perhaps forgotten.
    About UK support;  they did try building a few units in Quebec and moved everything they had to British Columbia due to the massive Japanese buildup in the Pacific.  However, for the first 2 rounds, they were scared of Sealion so did all their building right on London.  When the German fleet went to SZ 91 turn 3, both the US and UK players realized Germany was trying something new.  UK did build a few more units in Quebec to help out the US, but even with the US in such trouble, UK was pretty busy trying to get destroyers in the water to get rid of the German subs which were convoy raiding UK like crazy.  Plus, they put a couple of tanks in South Africa to deal with the Italians from Central Africa.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m