• Hey guys this is the link for our third game this season. It was a interesting one as things were done that never happen like the USA lost San Fran! Two mistakes early were corrected as stated in the video. Let me know what you think and don’t forget to subscribe and like the video as it may get me to do more. Thanks for the view and advice. I played Russia, not the best but under the conditions I am not sure what else I could have done exempt wait a bit longer to push at Germany or not at all. Please give me a couple of ideas on this. Thanks in advance.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCPNtt2E3WRZjjRs06Hq5pdA

• '14 Customizer

Interesting game.  Do you guys play with technology or use bids at all?

• No we just play straight and no reaserch chart. Also still making a few mistakes as you saw on the video.

• '14 Customizer

Once you start making less mistakes I believe you will find the game is unbalance for the Allies. Out of the box with no bid its very difficult to stop the Axis. For this reason the bidding system was created. We haven’t used the bidding system because we thought maybe the tech rules would help balance the game instead. This has not proven to happen yet as we have never had the Axis lose a game.

We modified the tech rules to use tech tokens. Its an easier system that allows players to gain technology with little risk. The way it works is when you buy a tech token then you roll a dice for each token. If any of the dice come up with a 6 then a breakthrough technology is awarded and ALL the tokens are discarded. Otherwise if you get no 6’s then you keep the tokens to roll on your next turn. You can buy as many tokens as you want and accumulate them turn by turn but once your get a breakthrough then all the tokens are discarded. Also no matter how many 6’s you roll only one breakthrough can result for a power per turn. This is the exact system that is used in TripleA. Its not a house rule we created.

Here is a pic of our tech tokens but you can use anything even dice. We have used different colored dice before but decided to change to a custom poker chip.

Here is some pics from our last game in April. We only get together once a year now but its a blast when we do :)

Looking forward to seeing your next game. :)

• Thanks I usually post one a month depends on holidays though. Might be a bit for the next one.

• @cyanight:

We modified the tech rules to use tech tokens. Its an easier system that allows players to gain technology with little risk. The way it works is when you buy a tech token then you roll a dice for each token. If any of the dice come up with a 6 then a breakthrough technology is awarded and ALL the tokens are discarded. Otherwise if you get no 6’s then you keep the tokens to roll on your next turn. You can buy as many tokens as you want and accumulate them turn by turn but once your get a breakthrough then all the tokens are discarded. Also no matter how many 6’s you roll only one breakthrough can result for a power per turn.

The same way we handle research & development in our games. Works very well (except you’re playing the USA and get not a single breakthrough during the whole game despite the 7 tokens accumulated over the various turns.  :wink:)

@cyanight:

This is the exact system that is used in TripleA. Its not a house rule we created.

Btw. in the A&A boardgames this version of R&D appeared in A&A-50th Anniversary Ed.

• Sponsor

@Vanerost:

Thanks I usually post one a month depends on holidays though. Might be a bit for the next one.

Hey Vanerost, wondering if you can tell us a little about your group… like how many, who has emerged as a strong player, and if everyone are stable fixures going forward.

• Sorry for the long time before reply was tied up with other things. The group is still finding itself I believe. Myself and my brother are always in the games as for the others I have had a new person to each game and had two skip a game. Winter is harder to get some of us together do too kids and hockey. I also have one that has bailed on all three games and a bunch online who show interest and then you never hear back from them or they are tied up on Sunday’s as that is the best day for me to play and they can not as they play something else. Hard to get a solid group to show up for each game……as for strong players my friend and me are the strong strategy players and often try new ideas and often radical moves that don’t always pay off but throw enemies off their game do to shock. As for the other two who show up more often, they understand the game and how to play but they both do not move…they tend to sit idle and by doing so has cost the game for their team both times. One does it because he is unsure of what to do for strategy. The other because he does not want to lose any men. So fear controls him and when he is attacked he tends to get grumpy as he knows he will lose the engagement. I have been trying to explain to him that you need to think one to two moves ahead. As in,yes you are being staked and should lose as most people attack with a stronger force so focus on defence for that fight but if and usually when you lose the territory you should not be upset as you have a plan in your head for a counter or cut the troops off move. Always think ahead. And don’t sit still all the time as your allies need you to draw some attention away from them. This game ussr got overwhelmed by Germany as the USA and the Brits did not engage them at all. More the Brits then anything. They were left alone for most of the game minus the opening. And despite ussr trying to keep things under control they just could not handle Germany and Italy since Italy was allowed to grow so large… It is a learning proses for some and only three games have been played. Hope this was not too long…

Vanerost

• Sponsor

Thanks for the Summary, new players need to be constantly asking themselves… “what is the best thing I can do with this/these units?” The answer more often than not is “attack something”.

• It is painful to watch how the allies play in this game.

If they had started sending their UKP Westwards when it was obvious japan would fall, while building 3 mechs in S africa/turn it would have been really difficult for italy to get the middle east. :/
    Also, I have no idea what US have been smoking……but he should stop it it.

(sorry if it seems a bit harsh, it is just a reaction to the pain i got from watching it…)

• '17 '16 Customizer

Well….nice video…I would have to say that was indeed very painful to see the USA played so poorly. As soon as I saw x-ports sitting fully loaded offshore of GB w/o protection I knew they were doomed w/ poor leadership. Interesting that ANZAC was able to roam so freely. Also…how was China able to wipe out Japans air force?  :-o Thanks for sharing this. It’s fun to see how others play. I’ve gone up against some folks that won’t make a move w/o their calculators and electronic apps and ridiculously large forces. Then are completely surprised when they lose. I’ve never played with those type of gadgets. I’ve been playing since A&A was introduced and always come up w/ a game plan, buy accordingly and go for it. I tend to try spontaneous battles as opportunity presents itself. (Such as fully loaded x-ports w/o protection  :wink: ) I win some & lose some…but always learn and have some serious fun. Thanks again!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m