• Have played 3 incomplete games that got played basically to develop general strats and to get familiar with the game.

4 complete games - all to the allies, 2 pretty easy, 2 close ones.

ZERO mistakes by the axis can be made just to keep it close.

Be aggressive as hell with the Axis….and go J3…J1 and 2 attacks where the 2 that the allies won pretty easy…(J2 not as bad…but still bad)

I really think the US player MUST split there income…N.O. can go either way per US players discretion, but theatre money must be spent in corresponding theatre.  We will be playing our next few games this way…will report back in a week or two…

• Go for the money.  Each nation has a ‘target’ region where she will get the largest economic boosts and should go for that while helping out her allies.

Germany = Northern Russia/Russia.  Go after Novgorod and hold on to Norway.  Slowly push russia back with your chosen advantage (mobility, unit count, larger airforce, whichever route you take).

Italy = Mediterranean.  Keep your fleet intact, smash Egypt and get both of your NOs.  Assist germany in southern Russia if your able.

Japan = India/DEI.  Take DEI, hold it, and push toward India while smashing China and stealing some Russian territories.

Now the allies have huge ‘swing’ power.  As in they can bring a large amount of there income against one side of the board or the other.  However, the axis have the advantage as the allies are terribly positioned.  If they go hard at one side or the other you should go after your secondary objectives once your primary is reached, focising on assisting your struggling ally.

Germany = Go after the UK.  If you are being ignored at start to hit the 60s in income compared to Russia being in the 20s, its time to start gearing up for sea lion mate.  Also, get some subs on the board and start going after the good old convoy zones.  Without a large US commitment you can control the Atlantic.  And Japan is one of the hardest nuts to crack so don’t overly worry.

Italy = Middle East.  Push toward India from the backside, also opening up a second front against Russia and stealing UK monies.

Japan = Middle East/Africa/Southern Russia.  Bloat your income by stealing some ANZAC stuff, Pearl, etc.  Then push to help out in holding Egypt, Africa, and maybe even Volgograd to get your allies some more money.  A turtling germany/italy can make a crapton of units to hold the UK/US at bay.

These are just generalized suggestions, you should speak a bit more on what the allies are doing to win the games.

• @Arminius:

You really player a dozen games of AAGlobal ?

That I have,  I have been lucky to get some time off that coincided with the release and while my wife did not have time off.  :wink: That is probably the most important part. What was more is that a friend of mine had some time off as well when his wife was on a trip. Needless to say between that and the regular games we have pushed through quite a few games.

As for the strategies: I have so far found that a selection of factories has proven most effective. For Japan a Manchurian on J1 and a French-Indo on J2 (both minors) Then the Germans build a Major in Romania on G1. (yes this can hurt the Italian fleet but has proven more effective in the long run.) Italy and Germany need a sub and bomber force to keep the British at bay and bring down that seemingly impenetrable British income (at least compared to other games as a good Brit will never allow Italy to go further than Egypt and even then wrestle it away from them.) The subs are great for Africa, South America and Britain. (Yes South America, allowing the US to take it is beyond ridiculous and only a push over British player will allow the USA to talk them out of it once they have seen its glory and allowed those troops and income to go where it is needed.)

• @bugoo:

These are just generalized suggestions, you should speak a bit more on what the allies are doing to win the games.

I suppose that would be a great bit of information. They are doing a number of things. First of all three units a turn hit Union of South Africa as it is a crap shoot in Africa otherwise. The British player takes his single infantry from Western India and moves to Persia and then Attacks Iraq with a couple Indian planes and the three infantry. First turn they do the Taranto raid and also take the transport with a man and artillery or tank and man to attack the Ethiopian Italian garrison before it can accomplish anything. Move your transport with tank and man from Canada to South America and take Brazil the second turn. Now move those units into the south side of the Saharan desert (out of range of Italian and German air and sub power.)

India produces as many men and artillery as they can with almost even numbers (favouring infantry slightly but not much) and this allows them to work with the Chinese to often allow for the Burma road to be open for several turns. ANZAC and India will attack on round 2 if the Japanese are not covering themselves thoroughly.

The Russian player usually pulls six far east men back and pushes four to six artillery out there instead. The six men come back to garrison China when needed or all the way to European side. The Russians always expand the air force with 1 or 2 planes (fighters or tacs) and lots of men and artillery. Your supply lines are shorter so buy those cheap men and art to provide you with an economic bonus.

USA makes a holding move in Hawaii but on land only. It is easy to make it nigh invincible with men and planes. Once the Japanese have moved elsewhere build those $15 carriers on those islands and island hop like a king. Produce a fleet of Destroyers, transports and subs. Use cruisers and destroyers in the Atlantic to safeguard those transports and allow for maximum firepower against those landings in Africa and/or Europe and Scandinavia when the time comes.

As the Allies above all else, HAVE PATIENCE. Our Allied players (myself included when it happens) play the game with time on their side because IT IS. Do not allow yourself to make brash decisions that leave men or equipment to dry.

The Battle of Britain. I should also mention that some of our allies will push out a bomber a turn with US AND Britain in order to force Germany to deal with bombed out factories or buying planes to defend and ships to defend that navy that is safe from virtually everything except bombers. If Germany does use fighters to help defend then use the RAF (which is often bolstered in the early turns) in order to keep those interceptors heads down while you bring overwhelming fighter superiority since the German Luftwaffe torn between east and west.

I could go on but I wouldn’t want even more allied victories to be popping up now! haha

I will try to elaborate on my most recent game as axis where we just might see our groups first axis win! Finally the experimenting is paying off!

• Couple of things then.  On G1 purchase a carrier, and send 1 sub to the SZ 112 battle with your battleship/cruiser.  This way if the UK does not buy a good number of men for london you can buy all transports on G2 and sealion.  It is not your intention to sealion, but simply to slow them down.

As Japan a major factory in Hongkong will pay off big time for you and allow you to outnumber the british.  Another dirty trick in the J1 attack is to loose a plane or two in Yunnan so that China will have a dicey battle taking it back.  Also put a good sized stack of planes in Kwangsi on J1 so that if china builds up in Szechwan you can smack 'em with pure air.  This will cripple china.  As for defending against the US, subs mate.  Build a good sized stack of subs up in SZ 6.  Using them with your large airforce will allow you to more effectively defend your ill goten gains.  The key though is not to be afraid to lose a few airplanes to put the pain on the allies.  Also, if the US is leaving you alone a J2 major factory in Kiangsi is a good play, then just pump 10 mech a turn and you WILL push back the UK and nab India.

As for the Russian front.  One fun thing to do with the major in Romania is to pump out mech inf.  Push the russians back with italian help, your goal in the south is holding Ukraine.  From there, with the Italians, you threaten a can opener that can hit Moscow or the southern factory.  Alternately, push hard in the north with huge stacks of units.  On G2 upgrade the berlin factory to a major while placing 10 inf/art in W. Germany along with 6 in berlin.  Then on each and every turn place atleast 10 in berlin, along with a smattering of mechs from behind and eventually you will push Russia back.  Let Italy just pump out the hordes of men.

Another dirty trick, planes are the best boat killers for the buck, and fighters not bombers are the better buy in this case.  Try to buy 1 fig a turn if you can.  If the allies are threatening Italy hard slap an airbase on Sicily to force them to enter the med within airplane range.

• @Blitchga:

First of all three units a turn hit Union of South Africa as it is a crap shoot in Africa otherwise.

Stop right there!  Germany should build a carrier and two transports G.1 UK must build in UK or they’ll lose their capitol.
    See my Sea Lion thread.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20360.0

Sea Lion might not be the strongest move, but building this way can seriously constrain England but is still good for Germany if they decide to aim their guns at Russia instead.

As for Africa, Japan should get there (and to the UK fleet) ASAP.  Hit the Allies where it hurts - the wallet!

I will admit, so far it looks like the Allies have the advantage.  But it’s too early to tell.  There is much innovation and refinement to be done on strategies at this point.

@Blitchga:

India produces as many men and artillery as they can with almost even numbers (favouring infantry slightly but not much) and this allows them to work with the Chinese to often allow for the Burma road to be open for several turns. ANZAC and India will attack on round 2 if the Japanese are not covering themselves thoroughly.

India should fall turn three.

• @Arminius:

If I were you I would try some NA only for the axis and see how this works out.

There’s always the U-Boat rule from the manual.  That’s a good place to start.

The moral of the story is that the game should have had several NAs as independent optional rules.  Then we’d have many options to balance the game, or they could be ignored if certain groups don’t like them.

• What’s NA?  :?

• NA means National Advantage - an ability or special unit that one and only one power has access to.  Examples in AAG40 are kamikazes and U-Boat Peril.

Past versions of A&A have featured many various NAs, dating back to the original Nova Games edition.  In fact, AA42 and AA50 are the only editions which don’t feature NAs in some form.

Edit - In addition to helping balance the game, NAs can facilitate a good handicap system to balance the varying skill levels.  NAs are good.

• What is U-Boat Peril?

• @Almano:

What is U-Boat Peril?

An optional rule on the bottom of page 22.  German U-Boats take an extra IPC when raiding convoys.

• Just lost to Axis.  2nd full game (1st serious game).  Japan has too many aircraft.  Thats it.  I’m starting to think that the KGF/KIF is the only real option (which I hate to ignore the Pacific).  With Japan starting off with such a massive fleet and airforce, I cannot build a US Fleet to match or beat the Japanese stack- with 60 IPCs going Pacific!  Subs are no good- they defend at 1 and can’t hit his aircraft.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@BJCard:

Just lost as Axis.  2nd full game (1st serious game).  Japan has too many aircraft.  Thats it.  I’m starting to think that the KGF/KIF is the only real option (which I hate to ignore the Pacific).  With Japan starting off with such a massive fleet and airforce, I cannot build a US Fleet to match or beat the Japanese stack- with 60 IPCs going Pacific!  Subs are no good- they defend at 1 and can’t hit his aircraft.

This sounds like you just lost to the Axis… not that you were the Axis and lost. Why then would you complain of having too many planes with Japan?

• hi everyone,1st post long time viewer,you guys r great. just wondering what u think about afactory in romania with german trannies for a trn. 3 or4sweep into s.russia :?

• It does seem to me that the Axis are at a disadvantage in the game. I have yet to see a win as the axis, but I don’t think it’s impossible, even if the Allies are playing well. What I am seeing is large amounts of troops being bought for Calcutta, London, and Russia. I think that the Axis require much more thought to win with. The Allies can basically play extreme defense until the US gets into it. The Axis need to be not only very aggressive, they also need to be moved and attacked with near perfectly. I’ll get it though.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@veto:

hi everyone,1st post long time viewer,you guys r great. just wondering what u think about afactory in romania with german trannies for a trn. 3 or4sweep into s.russia :?

Welcome, good to see you.

I have built a factory there before, but not on turn 1. I think it is a very good idea if you can continue to afford to put men there… in addition to everywhere else you have to defend.

• @zooooma:

Stop right there!  Germany should build a carrier and two transports G.1 UK must build in UK or they’ll lose their capitol.
    See my Sea Lion thread.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20360.0

I have done this one of the first things our group has tried and it has one fatal flaw. If the dice go bad as Germany and you lose a couple fighters then you have already conceded the game because You are out of position and Britain will not need to bring the fleet back which means that Taranto happens and you do not have enough to push into Russia with. A good Russian player will make you regret not spending a huge portion of your money on them. If Russia falls before even turn 10 then the Russian player is not playing properly and deserves to have their capital taken.

@zooooma:

India should fall turn three.

Pray tell how you do this without giving ground against the USA/ANZAC. As a USA player should not be spending 100% against Europe unless they want to lose the game. I Usually take India between 6 and 8 with minimal losses and ANZAC, China, Russia and USA Neutered. Subs can force the Anzac to enjoy 3 or 4 in income a turn and a 1st turn Manchurian factory will hold the Russians until you decide to push. China can easily be managed with men coming from French Indo China and the extra men you offload to mainland on J1 and J2 with transport fleet before invasions of the south pacific.

• Just thought I would say that I have now experienced an Axis victory! haha it is about time. Starting to look like there are certainly things that work but you just need to think a little more abstract and find those niches to exploit. I can try to write more later when it is not so late.

• I just came away from my first axis victory. The crucial factor that led to the win was axis mobility, which allowed us to respond fluidly to Allied decisions and capitalize on their weaknesses.

I like building fleet as Germany on turn 1, because that fleet does several things. First of all, it forces England to pump out 9 infantry on the first turn. Then, you can use the fleet on turn 2 to either assist Barbarossa, enter the Mediterranean and help out Italy, or beef up with 9 transports to take England. If you take England, you can either continue pumping fleet if the Americans don’t seem too concerned about the Atlantic, or run away and throw 22 troops north of Moscow in a flanking maneuver. If the Americans are really stupid and don’t build much of anything in the Atlantic, you can bring your invasion force in range of Washington and take it the turn following, either as an alternative to or after Sealion. If Italy is having a tough time after Sealion, you might still want to consider throwing the troops into the Med if they can make it, crushing Britain and eventually threatening India and Russia’s southern flank. I also like laying down a smattering of minor IC’s as Germany so forces can materialize where they are needed, such as in Norway or Romania. This amounts to mobility as well.

Italy should build an Egypt IC if they can hold it, and if their transports can cross the Suez canal, they should. They can potentially shortcut to South Africa or even help Japan out against India or in re-taking the money islands for them. ICs are important for Japan as well, and transports are of course crucial. You want to plan several turns in advance so you can have a force to take or re-take crucial islands when the time comes. For all of the axis powers, air force is important. Bombers represent the most mobility of any unit, so buy them if you have the money to spare.

Back to the game I won, I admit that some of the “weaknesses” we capitalized on really should be categorized as mistakes. If we didn’t have mobility, however, we never could have taken advantage of those mistakes. Because Britain pulled their fighters out of England turn 1, I did a surprise Sealion on turn 2 and succeeded. On turn 6, I had a lot of tanks threatening Moscow and Russia left only 11 infantry to defend it with a “screen” of 1 infantry to stop the blitz. A squadron of Japanese bombers took him out and landed with the Germans, letting me take Moscow on turn 7. He retook his capital, but it set him back several turns. I dug in to Russia with a couple minor IC’s and kept pumping units for the 2nd battle of Moscow, eventually taking it for good.

Also of note this game, though certainly not game-changing: Italy took Sumatra back from the Australians. Italy also used their forces to make India stay honest and keep a garrison instead of sending everything out to retake China.

I do tend to think the game is weighted in favor of the Allies, but maybe not so much that the Axis should expect to lose every game. Hopefully they can get 1 out of 3 or 4 with skilled play. The key is keeping your options open and choosing the most effective strategy for the board as it stands.

• Its hard for me to understand how people believe the game is weighed towards the allies-  with Sealion at such a high percentage and Japan having more aircraft than all other powers combined…  In fact, I have played 3 games so far and haven’t seen an Allied victory.

What do the allies do in your games?  What does the US do>?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m