• Anyone ever play any of the A&A family games by losing the established turn order and just having the all the Axis take a turn together followed by all of the Allies? It seems to me that this could potentially speed up play, encourage cooperation, introduce interesting new strategies and reduce player downtime.

Would there be any detrimental or game breaking side effects of playing in this manner?

I’d love to try Global 40 this way.

• Thats what we do in AARHE. But that was for AAR and in that Russia want first only on the first turn. After that it was all axis all allies turn sequence.

• Customizer

I think letting all the Axis go together gives them too much of an advantage.  It’s like all of the Axis get to do their damage then all the Allies are left trying to answer to it.  If they are spread out, sometimes an Alleid nation can give a nasty surprise to the Axis and make them change their gameplan.

• The Japanese and Italy are the ones that could be effected this way.

Japan playing before Russia can be fixed

Italy playing before UK can’t be.

Solution is Russia plays first, then axis then allies ( including Russia). Also, non-aggression pact can fix this.

Italy is really like to Germany what Canada and ANZACs are for UK.

• I’d say have the following

Japan
    China
    Russia
    Germany/Italy
    U.K. (Anz, Fra)/ U.S

This seperates Japan from the rest of the Axis and considering how much they “co-operated” it makes sense and the same goes for Russia and the Allies with China. This allows the major powers of the war that actually had joint military operations actually accomplish that and isolates those powers who were basically on their “own” during the war. With the exception of siezing Persia and convoys sending supplies there were no joint Allied/Russian operations.  The same goes for Germany and Japan who planned to meet in the near east but other than that did nothing “together”.  Finally China who was a group of nationalists, commies, and warlords who fought together only becuase they had to in order to hold back Japan, and other than a few fighters from America and supplies what major combat operation included Allies and Chinese units???

I know this is still a turn order but it does make a little more sense.

• Play with a time machine.
    Like chess tournament.

• Customizer

The Chinese and British worked closely together to retake Burma and re-open the Burma road.  I think it was in the latter half of the war.  There was even an American division involved, the only American ground forces involved in the Southeast Asian conflict.  I don’t remember the actual unit but I think they were called “Merril’s Marauders”.

However, I see what you were getting at.  China was pretty much on their own during most of the war.  Also, except for convoys of supplies from the Western Allies, Russia was pretty much on their own as well.  Do you remember the rule in A&A Europe where any allied units in a Russian territory with an IC could be turned into Russian units?  I wonder why they didn’t transfer that rule to A&AE 1940.

• Customizer

@Danger:

I’d say have the following

Japan
    China
    Russia
    Germany/Italy
    U.K. (Anz, Fra)/ U.S

This seperates Japan from the rest of the Axis and considering how much they “co-operated” it makes sense and the same goes for Russia and the Allies with China. This allows the major powers of the war that actually had joint military operations actually accomplish that and isolates those powers who were basically on their “own” during the war. With the exception of siezing Persia and convoys sending supplies there were no joint Allied/Russian operations.  The same goes for Germany and Japan who planned to meet in the near east but other than that did nothing “together”.  Finally China who was a group of nationalists, commies, and warlords who fought together only becuase they had to in order to hold back Japan, and other than a few fighters from America and supplies what major combat operation included Allies and Chinese units???

I know this is still a turn order but it does make a little more sense.

I would agree with this, but add that the 5 power groupings cannot co-operate with each other militarily; that is their combat units cannot share territory.

Some kind of financial aid to Russia or China from the Western Allies is fine, but they fight their own battles, and must liberate their own home soil. I fear that without such restrictions Global will default to the WA just piling units into north Russia like in classic.

• and maybe an exception for US and UK in Normandy only

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m