Most decisive battle of the Second World War

• Customizer

@calvinhobbesliker:

I think you forgot to vote :-D

Voted  :-)

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

Battle of Britain. It saved Britain as a fighting force, which meant that the axis could never win.

In fact, some Russians were interviewing a great German general, asking him what battle was the turning point. They expected him to say Stalingrad, but he said it was the Battle of Britain. After that, the Russians walked away.

I didn’t choose the others for the following reasons:
    Germans were going to lose before Stalingrad: they were fighting Russia, Britain, and the United States

Japanese were going to lose even if they completely decimated America at Midway. there’s an essay showing that American carrier numbers would overtake Japanese carrier numbers by 1943.

By Kursk, Germans were already losing

Germans were definetly losing by D-Day. I never got why it was seen as a turning point.

Japanese were already losing before Leyte gulf

The battle of Britian also saved an unsinkable aircraft carrier for the allies.

• Has to be Barbarossa/Typhoon and the German failure to take Moscow. 1942 the offensive power of Germany had been reduced by some 60% (estimate), and in 1943 it was just about 20% of 1942. Case Blue could have worked if the panzers had gone into Stalingrad with limited opposition in late august instead of sending them to the Caucasus. Cut off the Volga, then seize the oilfields and you can starve Russia of oil and supplies from the south. But even then, Germany is up against it.

Battle of Britain was important but not decisive. Germany at the time was only at war with Britain. Imagine Hitler had kept his alliance with Stalin until 43-44 and built tons of U-boots to sink incoming shipping towards Britain. Churchill said the only fear he ever had in the war was the U-boats.

I’m gonna say Barbarossa. It brought the Soviets into the war and the failure to take Moscow coupled with Pearl Harbor resulted in war with USSR and USA. Hitler had only been at war with a beleaguered Britain half a year earlier, and by his own choice signed the Third Reichs death sentence.

• I chose Stalingrad. Forget all other fronts and battles World War Two was decided on the Eastern Front.

After studying the question more, I should have choose other: Moscow 1941 lost the war for the Germans.

• '10

Midway has to be the turning point in the Pacific. Pearl Harbor was the turning point in the European conflict. Thats when hitler declared war on the U.S. This ought to generate some interesting comments.

• I also vote for battle of britain.
    If UK falls, Hitler win the war…

• Is there an option “i really don’t know” ?  :-D

They were all turning points in a way. i suppose it is the combination of “kinda decisive battles” that did it.

• They were all turning points in a way. i suppose it is the combination of “kinda decisive battles” that did it.

Ah well. Nevertheless it is simple to understand.
    Because of the battle lost over England, the resistances and the obtination of churchill, Hitler has change his plan and so he attacked USSR.
    A fatal error!!!

• Stalingrad for me because it was a major drain on German forces and probably there first major loss on land.

• i think you’re forgetting the Battle of Moscow

• Dunkirk and Moscow '41 and the Atlantic

• '10

@aequitas:

Dunkirk and Moscow '41 and the Atlantic

I vote for the battle of the Atlantic

• @crusaderiv:

They were all turning points in a way. i suppose it is the combination of “kinda decisive battles” that did it.

Because of the battle lost over England, the resistances and the obtination of churchill, Hitler has change his plan and so he attacked USSR.
    A fatal error!!!

Well yes, it makes sense to chose an early big battle, because everything after that might / will be influenced by that one’s outcome.

And the new Global is teadching me to appreciate the importance of the battle of britain ;)

• I vote for the battle of the Atlantic

Good choice…If Great Britain had been conquered by Germany or if English surrender because of the maritime blockade…The war was finished…

• How do you think a massive use German Paratrooper units on the Eastern side of the Volga River at Stalingrad would have played out? Could they have sealed off the trinkle of Soviet supplies and troops for the city? Or would the units been crushed?

• @ABWorsham:

How do you think a massive use German Paratrooper units on the Eastern side of the Volga River at Stalingrad would have played out? Could they have sealed off the trinkle of Soviet supplies and troops for the city? Or would the units been crushed?

probably hitler wouldnt sanction it due to the catastrophe at crete

• D-day, it opened another front on the Germans.

• they already had a second front , ITALY! and before that AFRIKA!

• @FieldMarshalGames:

@aequitas:

Dunkirk and Moscow '41 and the Atlantic

I vote for the battle of the Atlantic

Good choice.

• '10

A fatal error!!!

While I agree attacking Russia was Hitler’s error, it’s just to damned big to be overtaken, it was already his plan to attack Russia. He could get rid of the Bolsheviks and the Jews, while creating living space for a growing Germany. Also wanted the resources they had as well. Failing at England didn’t cause Hitler to invade Russia. I think it was more of a Pearl Harbor type move anyway. Not trying to conquer England, just trying to render it useless to stop Germany from doing what it really wanted.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m