• I like to play chess. Unfortunately, I don’t find too many people good at chess to play  :cry:. I would like to know what is good when it gets down to kings and pawns though. I don’t really know all these fancy names. I generally play with a partial pyramid with a castle to protect the king. I used to play full pyramid but I find that it leaves to king too vulnerable.

• @Wilson2:

I like to play chess. Unfortunately, I don’t find too many people good at chess to play  :cry:. I would like to know what is good when it gets down to kings and pawns though. I don’t really know all these fancy names. I generally play with a partial pyramid with a castle to protect the king. I used to play full pyramid but I find that it leaves to king too vulnerable.

We can play a game. There’s chess on ABatllemap

• Closed game is when the center is blocked by pawn chains and becomes a positional game.

Open game is usually latter when exchanges disrupt the pawn chain creating pawn islands that open the files for rooks and bishops to make combinations possible.

• Why is the pawn important? I was always taught that its not killing thats important in chess. Its threatening the most amount of squares. I too played in tournaments and treated the pawn as you would a disposable clickable pen.

• The central pawns are most important. They establish the control of center with the smallest means possible. The hyper-modern chess theorists ( say after Nimzowitsch) of the 1940’ s and 1950’s in some cases advocated less importance on them.  As the game wages on the pawns on the wings grow in strength, but in the opening and middle game they are very important.

You do not want many pawn islands or backward pawns or isolated pawns, these can deteriorate your position and cause a lost game.

Sometimes you can create what is called a “poison pawn”, which is a tactic of offering material in exchange of positional advantage. It can be accepted or declined. In many cases its a pitfall to take the pawn if the other player knows how to capitalize on his new position.

If you lose your pawns in the center you over burden your other pieces and this can cause you to lose a better piece.

Also, never move your pawns that protect your castled king. in the endgame, your king grows in importance and will take the stage and move to the center and attempt to get a passed pawn.

Also the central pawns can anchor your other pieces ( knight and Bishop) and protect them too.

Lastly, you usually want to capture toward the center of the board to stabilize your control over the central squares.

• @Imperious:

Closed game is when the center is blocked by pawn chains and becomes a positional game.

Open game is usually latter when exchanges disrupt the pawn chain creating pawn islands that open the files for rooks and bishops to make combinations possible.

Hmmm. I see, well I thought the setup went like this…

8 pawns in front row
    Rook, Knight, Bishop, Queen or king, Q or K, Bishop, Knight, Rook

• @Dylan:

@Imperious:

Closed game is when the center is blocked by pawn chains and becomes a positional game.

8 pawns in front row

:? Dude, that wasn’t funny. Especially when he’s taking time to give information that can be found quite easily with a Goggle search or a trip to the library. Chess requires study and practice just to rise to the mere level of competence. There is no ‘I win’ card, stick to Pokemon if you’re looking for that.

• @frimmel:

@Dylan:

@Imperious:

8 pawns in front row

:? Dude, that wasn’t funny. Especially when he’s taking time to give information that can be found quite easily with a Goggle search or a trip to the library. Chess requires study and practice just to rise to the mere level of competence. There is no ‘I win’ card, stick to Pokemon if you’re looking for that.

So am I right or wrong?

• @Dylan:

@frimmel:

@Dylan:

@Imperious:

8 pawns in front row

So am I right or wrong?

:-o Wait. You don’t even know how to play?

• no troll you are not right. Go back to 4chan where you are considered normal

• Anyway, Have you ever tried using the knights first instead of the pawns? you move less pieces, and they can out maneuver the pawns as well

• I think I am right

chess setup.jpg

• Have you ever tried using the knights first instead of the pawns?

Thats called Alekhine’s defense, named after the German world Champ from 1927-1946. But that is a reply for black.

AS white you don’t want to play this.

Typically you play a central pawn and either a knight or another pawn as your second move

• Are Bishops more of a supportive piece? They always seem to get in the way for me.

• Knight and Queen is the most potent duo.

Bishops get stronger in open positions, by comparison a Bishop is worth 3.5 and a Knight is worth 3.

Queen is worth 9

• @idk_iam_swiss:

Are Bishops more of a supportive piece? They always seem to get in the way for me.

You need to learn the difference between a good bishop and a bad bishop, a developed bishop and an undeveloped bishop.

• Well i know those ones. but i dont know how to use them correctly without getting them killed.

Ive never used the knights with the queen i will try that!

• A good Bishop is one that is not impeded by your own pawn chain and it can move and attack the enemy pawns.

A bad Bishop is one that is closed off from either because your own pawns are on the same color squares as your Bishop, or the enemy has his pawn chain established on opposite squares as your Bishop.

You want to exchange a bad Bishop for a good bishop or a better enemy piece. Also if he has a forward centralized knight you want to exchange and especially if his Queen is still in play.

• @Brain:

@idk_iam_swiss:

Are Bishops more of a supportive piece? They always seem to get in the way for me.

You need to learn the difference between a good bishop and a bad bishop, a developed bishop and an undeveloped bishop.

I thought we were to avoid talking religion.  lol

• How would I effectively use the rook? Most of the time its a late game piece that I use to finish the game. Is there any other purpose for it?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m