Opening a mint A&A 2nd edition (1987) or playing A&A 1942 (2009)

• I agree sell the mint condition to a collector… 
    A&A 1942 is a fantastic game and basically the current Version of that 1987 game. (I honestly dont understand why some bash it)

I consider the Anniversary Edition, and the New Global Pacific 1940/Europe 1940 to be Different but fantastic games from what I have read.

• I agree that A&A 1942 is a super fun game.  We’re still figuring out how to beat the Axis (don’t worry we will with all the Allied Strategy I’ve been able to dig up from this forum).

I also bought Dad the HUGE Pacific 1940 edition.

The only regret I’ll have with selling the old boardmaster edition is the lack of technology tree in A&A 1942.  How much fun& strategy  does the technology provide?  Do you think they’ll add it back to the A&A Global 1940 edition.

Also the board is sooo darn tiny, thanks to the other posters for making a bigger and more readable board!

BTW thanks for the welcoming words, this seems like a great forum you have here.

thx
    -Martman

• Check the house rules section… you will find loads of added flavor for A&A…  But Specifically for the Spring 1942 version, I added in the Technology rules From The Anniversary edition which has similar rules.

Here is a list i came up with based on the A&A 50, various discussions and playtests…

Weapon Developments
    Chart 1

1- Adv. Artillery   Each Art. Improve 2 Inf.

2-  Radar
      Radar - AA defend (di roll 2) & Hit Rocket Att (di roll 1)   

3- Paratrooopers
      1 Inf. Per Bomber. Must Leave From Same   
           Territ.  Bomber Must Stop In 1st Hostile   
           Territory in Flight Path.  Bomber can Still   
           Att. (Para. Unit Cannot Retreat)

4- Inc. Factory Production
      IC’s in Territories worth 4 or more IPC’s
           Mobilize +2 Units above Territ Value, And In      
           Territories of 3 or Less Mobilize +1 Unit
      & 1/2 Cost to remove Damage markers
      (Rounded Up)

5- War Bonds
      Roll 1d6 (+2) Recieve that many IPC’s At    Collect income Phase

6- Mechanized Infantry
      Inf. Matched 1/1 with Tank Move 2 Spaces

Chart 2
    1- Jet Fighters
           Att. = 4 (on 1st cycle of combat)

2- Rockets
      All AA Gun May Make 1 Rocket Attack On   
           1 IC (within 3 Spaces) doing 1D6 Damage.   
          Each Industrial Complex Can Be Hit Only   
          Once Per Turn From Rockets. Max Damage   
          = Territory Value Of IPC’s Per Complex

3- Super Submarine
      Submarines Attack Increased To 3

4- Long-Range Aircraft
      Fighter Range Increases to 6.     Bomber Range Increases To 8

5- Improved Shipyards
      Cost Of Sea Units Reduced…    BB=18, CV=12, CC=10, DD=7, TR=6, SS=5

6- Heavy Bombers
      Roll 2 Dice For Att.    & for IC Bombing: Roll 1 Di & add 2

Research & Development Sequence:
    Chose 1 Weapon Tech. (each country can get 2 techs, one at a time, from both charts )
    1. Buy researcher tokens
    2. Roll research dice

Step 1: Buy Researcher Tokens
    Each researcher token costs 5 IPC’s.  (For researcher token use a Flag marker)

Step 2: Roll Research Dice
    For each researcher you have, roll one die.

-Success: If you roll at least one “6”, you have successfully made a technological breakthrough.  Discard all your researcher tokens.
    (You may Attempt to gain another Tech on next or later Turn)

-Failure: If you do not roll a “6”, your research has failed.  Keep your researcher token and continue to the Purchase Units phase of the turn.

• Sell the MB 2nd Edition. I would not buy the Anniversary Edition. The boards warp easy and it takes forever to play, not that the others don’t but it is just a bigger version of AA42. I would agree with the other posts and get the 1940 Global game consisting of Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940 when it comes out in a couple of months. I had the Anniversary Edition and ended up selling it along with all of the other AA games except AA42 and AAP40. When AAE40 is released that will probably be the last one that I get unless they create a larger global game with more things included. Play AA42 and enjoy it. It is a great game.

• @msleeman:

The only regret I’ll have with selling the old boardmaster edition is the lack of technology tree in A&A 1942.  How much fun& strategy  does the technology provide?  Do you think they’ll add it back to the A&A Global 1940 edition.

I really enjoy playing games with technology, and I feel that playing with technology adds a lot of fun and strategy to the game.  (Although there are those who would disagree…)  It has been siad that the A&A Global Edition WILL include technology, but until we have the game in-hand, who knows?  Personally, I believe that it will be included as an optional rule that you may play with or not as you like.

@msleeman:

BTW thanks for the welcoming words, this seems like a great forum you have here.

thx
    -Martman

We like to think so.  :wink:

Also, if you end up having extra time and would like to play some Axis and Allies, then check out the PBF (Play By Forum) section of this Forum.  You can actually play Axis and Allies online here against players from around the world.

• @Bardoly:

@msleeman:

I really enjoy playing games with technology, and I feel that playing with technology adds a lot of fun and strategy to the game.  (Although there are those who would disagree…)  It has been siad that the A&A Global Edition WILL include technology, but until we have the game in-hand, who knows?  Personally, I believe that it will be included as an optional rule that you may play with or not as you like.

@msleeman:

thx
    -Martman

We like to think so.   :wink:

Also, if you end up having extra time and would like to play some Axis and Allies, then check out the PBF (Play By Forum) section of this Forum.  You can actually play Axis and Allies online here against players from around the world.

yeah, it’ll be an optional rule and I think they are the same as the techs in AA50

• Weapons development and national objectives will be included in AAE40.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/europe1940

• The current system for weapons development is fine and may add more fun to your experience. Though Spring 1942 is a great game by itself and I often find that using weapons development simplifies the strategies. Basically, roll until you get the tech you want and then use the tech. This is just my own preference but I find playing without the tech more enjoyable from a strategy standpoint. I like knowing the odds going into a battle.

Having said that the news about weapons development in the AAE40 is somewhat unsettling. If they change it a little (not that I have any suggestions to change the system) it might work out better but who knows. I have, however, learned to trust the game devs because when I have originally questioned a rule it turns out after further playing it usually is better that the rule is what it is.

• '10

What does a mint 2nd ed. go for these days?  I have one in shrink wrap.

• 40-50 not more

• '10

@Imperious:

40-50 not more

I don’t think I paid much less for it.  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m