• @gamerman01:

@Gwlachmai:

I’m down for a game. I’d love to see this in action. Feel free to start a forum game. At the very least, either way it should be quick.

I don’t know if you want to play 2 at once, Tragedy, but if you just want to play Gwla, I understand.  Just let me know.

Lol, either way they’d both be quick games, this start is really kind of a make or break move.

• @Gwlachmai:

Honestly, if you move against Alaska on turn one, I’m not sure how you cannot see that coming. Likewise if the entire Japanese fleet consolidates in Japan on turn 1 I assume it’s to move against the US.

Definitely.  I totally agree.

• @Gwlachmai:

Lol, either way they’d both be quick games, this start is really kind of a make or break move.

Sure is.  I’m thinking mostly “break”, but maybe we’ll find out…

• I think it would be awesome to play 2 games at once.

I am busy atm, give me a couple hours to get home, setup my board, make some tweaks, and examine variations (for example I might try basically the same opening move with some subtle differences); then I will start the games.

I appreciate u guys taking the time to work on this with me.  :-)

gamerman01: Feel free to make your moves at your leisure, it’s all good.

• Do you know how the play by forum works, and do you have the battlemap downloaded? If not gamerman can point you at some links that will describe how it all works. I can do it too, but, you’ll have to put up with Mr. Awesome drool.

• @Gwlachmai:

Do you know how the play by forum works, and do you have the battlemap downloaded? If not gamerman can point you at some links that will describe how it all works. I can do it too, but, you’ll have to put up with Mr. Awesome drool.

Yes and Yes.
    I like having the board setup too, it helps me see things from a “different” angle.
    Lol, sorry about that.

• @Gwlachmai:

Do you know how the play by forum works, and do you have the battlemap downloaded? If not gamerman can point you at some links that will describe how it all works. I can do it too, but, you’ll have to put up with Mr. Awesome drool.

I have an idea, too, Tragedy.

Why don’t you just do the same J1 for both of us.  We can both pick up your Battlemap from the point of your J1 completion.  That will save you some effort, as well.

There are a few versions of AAP40 running around out there, and I’m not sure they’re all compatible…  I’m using some beta version…  See my game in Play Boardgames section.  Maybe download a map and make sure you can view it?

• My P40 map - check compatibility

Func_v_gamer_P40_game_2_J2.AAM

• The map looks good to me. If you want to post one map for both of us, or if you’d rather do two seperate maps, just let us know. I’m cool with whatever you’re comfortable with.

• The map is good. I’m having a prob getting the Toolbar window to show in ABattlemap, any suggestions?

I will post 1 map for both, sometime tonight.  :-)

• Go to view and on the drop down click on big pieces. I believe this will make the toolbar repop.

• @Tragedy:

U.S. 1:
    Purchase:
    1 Fighter
    2 Infantry

U.S. 2:
    Purchase:
    5 Fighters
    2 Inf

J3:
    Combat Moves:
    Amphibious Assault on Western U.S.:
    1 Battleship Bombardment
    1 Cruiser Bombardment
    4 Bombers, 11 Fighters, 7 Tac (Maybe 8?), 1 Tank, 7 inf

AA Gun Kills: 1 Bomber, 1 Tac, 1 Fighter

U.S. defends with:
    13 fighters total (9 U.S., 4 ANZAC), 3 tacs, 2 Bombers, 1 Tank, 1 Mech, 1 Art, 7 Inf.

Japan caps Western U.S. with 1 Tank, 1 Bomber remaining. On turn 3. Both sides had “average” dice rolls.

Thoughts/Feedback?

I agree with the “never work” camp. If Japan, with even dice “barely wins” with the poor US buys, it should not win with proper buys. I will follow this interesting thread though, and watch to see the games posted.

• @Tragedy:

• I understand the concept of defending with Infantry…When u have 60ish some odd points to spend on U.S. 2 and u can only produce 10 units, suggesting all infantry is obviously inefficient. As Stoney229 said its apples and oranges.

I didn’t mean that the U.S. should buy 10 inf. I was just talking about general defensive tactics. And I will also take a look at this strategy (I really hope that it doesn’t work b/c that would honestly ruin the game). And What on earth are you guys talking about with these forum games? How do you play them? I would really like to show off my strategic brilliance once in a while.  :wink:

• @The:

(I really hope that it doesn’t work b/c that would honestly ruin the game).

Totally Agree.

• You have to figure a US invasion scenario is something that got heavily playtested. There would be no point in releasing a game that is over in three rounds. Honestly, I think the game favors the Allies more then the Axis, and balancing Euro40 will be even more difficult.

• This strat is inttiguing but I too think that with proper US buys that this will not work.

However, the mere threat of Japan from the Alleutian Island group may force US into early buys on land forces over naval forces which could prove devastating in rounds 4 and on when the US finally gets in the game.

So in other words its a gambit you pull back from later after round 3.  As Allies I may consider attacking right away in rounds 2-3 with the Brits/ANZAC.

Has anyone tried this gambit and then pulled back to mess up the US early buys???  This may have a long-term payoff.

• @questioneer:

This strat is inttiguing but I too think that with proper US buys that this will not work.

However, the mere threat of Japan from the Alleutian Island group may force US into early buys on land forces over naval forces which could prove devastating in rounds 4 and on when the US finally gets in the game.

So in other words its a gambit you pull back from later after round 3.  As Allies I may consider attacking right away in rounds 2-3 with the Brits/ANZAC.

Has anyone tried this gambit and then pulled back to mess up the US early buys???  This may have a long-term payoff.

3 of us are testing this “gambit” right now.  Links to the games are below.  I think you will see that it’s more of a gimmick that might work once against a drunken opponent, but is generally not a viable strat.

Rounds 2-3??  :lol:  The other allies, including and especially China, all get easy instant growth from round 1 while the bulk of the Japanese navy and air force are trying to get to Alaska for this rash invasion.  The Chinese can buy 3 artillery right up front, and the Burma road is uncontested.  And if you have to get most of the Jap airforce and navy out of position to get USA to buy 5 infantry with their whopping 17 starting IPC’s, well, I don’t think that’s a good idea.  I’m not sure what round you’re thinking of aborting the bluff positioning, but I don’t see how this screws up the USA in rounds 4 and on.

If you would like to show me what you’re talking about, I’m up for a game.

• @Tragedy:

If Western U.S. falls do you feel Allies can still win?

This is a all or nothing strat. Japan is “all in” on round 3. Either they take Western U.S. and essentially win imo, or they fail and have wasted their resources to a point they can’t recover from. There is no middle ground or stalling tactics.

I watched (yes, watched …) a game that Japan took Western US (round 5 I think) and the Allies continued to press on until Japan finally fell around turn 9.

Absolutely it is possible.  Difficult, but possible, especially since by taking WUS, Japan is “all in” leaving the rest of the pacific open (to an extent).

• What happened, did Japan completely abandon Asia? The UK load up a bunch of transports with Chinese infantry and artillery?  :-o

:lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m