crockett36 l vs The Good Captain x

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Thanks. How stupid! I’ll fix it after church. Where are my staff officers?

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

axis-and-allies-the-good-captain-vs-crockett36-us8ru9redo.tsvg

Thank you for the “check.” Much appreciated. I don’t find that often on the forums, but I’ve run into that kind of relaxed, game loving gentlemanliness across the board several times.

• @crockett36 to win by the “ha-ha-gotcha” is not to win at all… that’s my feeling anyway and I agree that it is one that is a minority.

• @crockett36

Game History

Round: 9

Purchase Units - Germans
            Germans buy 10 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Germans
            8 infantry moved from Germany to West Europe
            1 bomber and 3 fighters moved from Germany to West Europe
            1 infantry moved from Libya to French Equatorial Africa
                  Germans take French Equatorial Africa from British
            3 infantry moved from Ukraine S.S.R. to Caucasus
            1 armour and 26 infantry moved from Ukraine S.S.R. to East Europe
            13 infantry moved from Germany to East Europe

Combat - Germans
            Battle in East Europe
                Germans attack with 1 armour and 39 infantry
                Russians defend with 1 armour
                    Germans roll dice for 1 armour and 39 infantry in East Europe, round 2 : 9/40 hits, 7.00 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 armour in East Europe, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 armour owned by the Russians and 1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in East Europe
                Germans win, taking East Europe from Russians with 1 armour and 38 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 2
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Russians: 1 armour
            Battle in Caucasus
                Germans attack with 3 infantry
                Russians defend with 1 infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 3 infantry in Caucasus, round 2 : 1/3 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 infantry in Caucasus, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Russians lost in Caucasus
                Germans win, taking Caucasus from Russians with 3 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Russians: 1 infantry
            Battle in West Europe
                Germans attack with 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 8 infantry
                British defend with 8 infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 8 infantry in West Europe, round 2 : 1/12 hits, 3.50 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 8 infantry in West Europe, round 2 : 1/8 hits, 2.67 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Germans and 1 infantry owned by the British lost in West Europe
                    Germans roll dice for 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 7 infantry in West Europe, round 3 : 4/11 hits, 3.33 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 7 infantry in West Europe, round 3 : 0/7 hits, 2.33 expected hits
                    4 infantry owned by the British lost in West Europe
                    Germans roll dice for 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 7 infantry in West Europe, round 4 : 0/11 hits, 3.33 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 3 infantry in West Europe, round 4 : 0/3 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 7 infantry in West Europe, round 5 : 1/11 hits, 3.33 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 3 infantry in West Europe, round 5 : 0/3 hits, 1.00 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the British lost in West Europe
                    Germans roll dice for 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 7 infantry in West Europe, round 6 : 3/11 hits, 3.33 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 2 infantry in West Europe, round 6 : 0/2 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    2 infantry owned by the British lost in West Europe
                Germans win, taking West Europe from British with 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 7 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 21
                Casualties for British: 8 infantry

Non Combat Move - Germans
            1 bomber and 3 fighters moved from West Europe to Germany
            1 aaGun moved from Ukraine S.S.R. to East Europe

Place Units - Germans
            10 infantry placed in Germany

Turn Complete - Germans
            Germans collect 33 PUs; end with 33 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Russians regular : 0.33
    Germans regular : -5.33
    British regular : -6.67

G9.tsvg

• @crockett36 wow. I just saw my inbox and didn’t realize my “practice turn” was hooked up to the bloody server. sorry about that. the moves are/were the same. The results varied slightly but no change in territory captures.

• @crockett36

Game History

Purchase Units - Germans

Combat Move - Germans
            3 infantry moved from Ukraine S.S.R. to Caucasus
            1 armour and 26 infantry moved from Ukraine S.S.R. to East Europe
            8 infantry moved from Germany to West Europe
            3 fighters moved from Germany to West Europe
            1 bomber moved from Germany to West Europe
            13 infantry moved from Germany to East Europe
            1 infantry moved from Libya to French Equatorial Africa
                  Germans take French Equatorial Africa from British

Combat - Germans
            Battle in East Europe
                Germans attack with 1 armour and 39 infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 1 armour and 39 infantry in East Europe, round 2 : 5/40 hits, 7.00 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 armour in East Europe, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 armour owned by the Russians lost in East Europe
                Germans win, taking East Europe from Russians with 1 armour and 39 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 5
            Battle in Caucasus
                Germans attack with 3 infantry
                Russians defend with 1 infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 3 infantry in Caucasus, round 2 : 1/3 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 infantry in Caucasus, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Russians and 1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Caucasus
                Germans win, taking Caucasus from Russians with 2 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for Russians: 1 infantry
            Battle in West Europe
                Germans attack with 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 8 infantry
                British defend with 8 infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 8 infantry in West Europe, round 2 : 3/12 hits, 3.50 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 8 infantry in West Europe, round 2 : 3/8 hits, 2.67 expected hits
                    3 infantry owned by the Germans and 3 infantry owned by the British lost in West Europe
                    Germans roll dice for 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 5 infantry in West Europe, round 3 : 4/9 hits, 3.00 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 5 infantry in West Europe, round 3 : 2/5 hits, 1.67 expected hits
                    2 infantry owned by the Germans and 4 infantry owned by the British lost in West Europe
                    Germans roll dice for 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 3 infantry in West Europe, round 4 : 2/7 hits, 2.67 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 1 infantry in West Europe, round 4 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the British lost in West Europe
                Germans win, taking West Europe from British with 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 3 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 9
                Casualties for Germans: 5 infantry

1 aaGun moved from Ukraine S.S.R. to East Europe
            3 fighters moved from West Europe to Germany
            1 bomber moved from West Europe to Germany

Place Units - Germans
            10 infantry placed in Germany

Turn Complete - Germans
            Germans collect 33 PUs; end with 33 PUs

Russians regular : 0.33
    Germans regular : -1.67
    British regular : 0.33

G9hotroll.tsvg as explained above, I didn’t realize my practice turn was hooked up to the server. Let’s use this one as there was no change in moves/strats and is more generous to the allies to boot.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Whatever is good.

• @crockett36 thanks - still prefer the first time I rolled on the active board given there was no change in strategy. I would say that regardless of dice results for either side.

in short, you’re clear to use the file just above your last post, “G9hotroll”

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

• @crockett36

Game History

Research Technology - Japanese
            Japanese spend 20 on tech rolls
                Japanese roll 4,3,6,1 and gets 1 hit
            Japanese discover Heavy Bomber

Activate Technology - Japanese
            Japanese activating Heavy Bomber

Purchase Units - Japanese
            Japanese buy 2 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Japanese
            1 infantry moved from Australia to North Australia Sea Zone
            1 infantry and 1 transport moved from North Australia Sea Zone to East Indies Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from East Indies Sea Zone to East Indies
                  Japanese take East Indies from British
            1 battleship moved from North Australia Sea Zone to East Indies Sea Zone
            1 infantry moved from Kwangtung to French Indo China
                  Japanese take French Indo China from British
            1 infantry moved from Kwangtung to French Indo China
            2 infantry moved from Manchuria to Yakut S.S.R.
            2 fighters moved from Manchuria to Yakut S.S.R.
            3 bombers moved from Manchuria to Russia

Combat - Japanese
            Strategic bombing raid in Russia
                    Russians roll AA dice in Russia : 0/3 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                Bombing raid in Russia rolls: 6,3,2,1,4,4,1,4,3 and costs: 28 PUs.
                Bombing raid costs 28 PUs
            Battle in Yakut S.S.R.
                Japanese attack with 2 fighters and 2 infantry
                Russians defend with 1 armour and 1 infantry
                    Japanese roll dice for 2 fighters and 2 infantry in Yakut S.S.R., round 2 : 3/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 armour and 1 infantry in Yakut S.S.R., round 2 : 0/2 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Russians and 1 armour owned by the Russians lost in Yakut S.S.R.
                Japanese win, taking Yakut S.S.R. from Russians with 2 fighters and 2 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 8
                Casualties for Russians: 1 armour and 1 infantry

Non Combat Move - Japanese
            Russians lost 0 PUs to rocket attack by Japanese
                Rockets  roll: 1
            1 bomber moved from Russia to Germany
            2 bombers moved from Russia to Manchuria
            1 fighter moved from Yakut S.S.R. to Manchuria
            1 battleship, 1 carrier and 4 submarines moved from North Pacific Sea Zone to Philippines Sea Zone

Place Units - Japanese
            2 infantry placed in Manchuria

Turn Complete - Japanese
            Japanese collect 32 PUs; end with 32 PUs

Japanese regular : 1.67
    Russians regular : -0.67
    Russians AA : -0.50

J9.tsvg

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Hey, so fun turn for me. Had a computer glitch. Take a look at the Russian turn. No purchase. Yet the income didn’t double. What do you think happened?

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

• @crockett36 I dont believe there is any glitch - the Japanese rockets and heavy bombers eliminated the Russian income.

G10.tsvg

• @crockett36 I’m also going to have to call ‘foul’ on the submarine spam. The amount of subs is limited by the number of pieces in the game (not chips). Since only six sub groups are allowed on the board at any one time, you’ll have to combine one of those subs with another.

Reference: page 7, center column under “plastic chips”.

The official Q&A also back this up:

“The number of playing pieces is a limit on how many forces can be in play. No one, for example, can have more than three bomber forces, or more than two carrier groups. The only exception to this absolute limit is chips.”

• @the_good_captain oh! didn’t see that. you did tech! wow.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

• @crockett36

Game History

Round: 10

Purchase Units - Japanese
            Japanese buy 1 armour, 1 bomber and 2 infantry; Remaining resources: 6 PUs; 

Combat Move - Japanese
            1 battleship, 1 carrier and 4 submarines moved from Philippines Sea Zone to East Indies Sea Zone
            2 fighters moved from Manchuria to Yakut S.S.R.
            2 infantry moved from Manchuria to Yakut S.S.R.
            1 bomber moved from Manchuria to North Pacific Sea Zone
            1 bomber moved from Manchuria to India
            1 bomber moved from Germany to Caucasus
            1 bomber moved from Caucasus to Russia

Combat - Japanese
            Strategic bombing raid in India
                Bombing raid in India rolls: 6,2,5 and costs: 13 PUs.
                Bombing raid costs 13 PUs
            Battle in Russia
                Japanese attack with 1 bomber
                British defend with 1 bomber; Russians defend with 1 aaGun and 1 factory
                    Russians roll AA dice in Russia : 0/1 hits, 0.17 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 bomber in Russia, round 2 : 1/3 hits, 2.00 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 bomber in Russia, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.17 expected hits
                    1 bomber owned by the British lost in Russia
                Japanese win with 1 bomber remaining. Battle score for attacker is 15
                Casualties for British: 1 bomber
            Battle in North Pacific Sea Zone
                Japanese attack with 1 bomber
                Americans defend with 2 submarines
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 bomber in North Pacific Sea Zone, round 2 : 3/3 hits, 2.00 expected hits
                    2 submarines owned by the Americans lost in North Pacific Sea Zone
                Japanese win with 1 bomber remaining. Battle score for attacker is 16
                Casualties for Americans: 2 submarines
            Battle in East Indies Sea Zone
                Japanese attack with 1 battleship, 1 carrier and 4 submarines
                Americans defend with 1 submarine
                    Japanese roll dice for 4 submarines in East Indies Sea Zone, round 2 : 1/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    1 submarine owned by the Americans lost in East Indies Sea Zone
                Japanese win with 1 battleship, 1 carrier and 4 submarines remaining. Battle score for attacker is 8
                Casualties for Americans: 1 submarine
            Battle in Yakut S.S.R.
                Japanese attack with 2 fighters and 2 infantry
                    Japanese roll dice for 2 fighters and 2 infantry in Yakut S.S.R., round 2 : 1/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 armour in Yakut S.S.R., round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Japanese and 1 armour owned by the Russians lost in Yakut S.S.R.
                Japanese win, taking Yakut S.S.R. from Russians with 2 fighters and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 2
                Casualties for Japanese: 1 infantry

Non Combat Move - Japanese
            Russians lost 6 PUs to rocket attack by Japanese
                Rockets  roll: 6
            1 bomber moved from Russia to East Europe
            1 bomber moved from India to Manchuria
            1 bomber moved from North Pacific Sea Zone to Manchuria
            1 infantry moved from Manchuria to China
            1 fighter moved from Yakut S.S.R. to China

Place Units - Japanese
            1 armour and 2 infantry placed in Manchuria
            1 bomber placed in Japan

Turn Complete - Japanese
            Japanese collect 32 PUs; end with 38 PUs

Japanese regular : -0.67
    Russians regular : 0.50
    Russians AA : -0.17

J10.tsvg in the current board condition, throwing for tech as Japan is part of my overall strategy. I basically don’t change what I do as the Axis from game to game. I have a video on my YouTube channel where I lay this all out if you were interested (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnJReTMIlU8).

In short, Germany “waltz’s” on the East Front (as you saw) while Japan expands and purchases a bomber or two when convenient. This serves the dual purpose of both providing a stream of bombers to hit the Russian complex ‘ad nauseum’ while at the same time leaving the door open for the end game “hail mary” if things start to turn sour.

The hail mary is heavy bombers (or the Atom bomb as your friend, Mr. Harris originally envisioned it). And this is why I feel very confident that if any version of axis and allies survives the test of time, it will be the Milton Bradley, 2nd Edition.

It is the only version that allows the player who has started to lose the game a path to victory, however narrow. Even if it doesn’t work out, the adrenaline rush and nervousness around the board is worth it for its own sake. If it does work out (as in this case) the game continues. In my opinion, this is genius.

I love most versions of axis and allies, but no other version comes close to what this version can do in this regards. The original heavy bombers and tech rules were like the olive in a martini. Perfection.

I regret what technology rules have evolved into.

• @crockett36 that’s not to denigrate what you and the other axis and allies teams did. I have extraordinarily high respect for any name in the credits of any game branded ‘axis and allies’. They’re exceptional games, the whole lot. I say this as someone who has stacked a lot of time over many war board games.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

• @crockett36

Game History

Round: 11

Purchase Units - Germans

Combat Move - Germans
            15 infantry moved from Germany to West Europe
            1 armour moved from East Europe to West Europe
            1 bomber moved from Germany to West Europe
            3 fighters moved from East Europe to West Europe
            1 infantry moved from Germany to West Europe

Combat - Germans
            Battle in West Europe
                Germans attack with 1 armour, 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 16 infantry
                British defend with 9 infantry; Americans defend with 2 infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 1 armour, 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 16 infantry in West Europe, round 2 : 5/21 hits, 5.33 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 11 infantry in West Europe, round 2 : 6/11 hits, 3.67 expected hits
                    6 infantry owned by the Germans, 2 infantry owned by the Americans and 3 infantry owned by the British lost in West Europe
                    Germans roll dice for 1 armour, 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 10 infantry in West Europe, round 3 : 2/15 hits, 4.33 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 6 infantry in West Europe, round 3 : 1/6 hits, 2.00 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Germans and 2 infantry owned by the British lost in West Europe
                    Germans roll dice for 1 armour, 1 bomber, 3 fighters and 9 infantry in West Europe, round 4 : 3/14 hits, 4.17 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 4 infantry in West Europe, round 4 : 3/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    3 infantry owned by the Germans and 3 infantry owned by the British lost in West Europe
                3 fighters owned by the Germans and 1 bomber owned by the Germans retreated
                6 infantry owned by the Germans and 1 armour owned by the Germans retreated to Germany
                British win with 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for Germans: 10 infantry
                Casualties for Americans: 2 infantry

3 fighters moved from West Europe to East Europe
            1 bomber moved from West Europe to East Europe
            2 infantry moved from Germany to East Europe

Place Units - Germans
            3 infantry placed in South Europe
            7 infantry placed in Germany

Turn Complete - Germans
            Germans collect 20 PUs; end with 20 PUs