• I am so sick of these big companies. Larry Harris doesnt give a darn!! Hey, if I invented a game I would visit sites like these all the time to check on my gamers to see what they want. Its sad that I seem to visit this site more than Larry Harris himeself does (if he does at all). All people have been talking about is how they would love to see pics of the new game being released next month. Dont these companies give a crap??? We are their audience who is gonna buy their game for Christ sakes!!!

Not to mention they release a mega version that sells out and only produce 2000 copies of it, WTF!!! I could see if it didnt sell but damn, it was a big hit!!! Who the hell is in charge of those decisions, the same guy that ran AIG!!! You go on the Avalon Hill website……nothing!! You go on Larry harris’s page…nothing!! You google the darn game…nothing!!!

It seems they just collect their paychecks and release their games taking it for granted we will buy it, and of course we will but where is the customer service. They should be promoting this game as if they want us to buy it instead of acting like they are doing us a big favor by selling it to us. They are the lucky ones!!! We save them millions because they spend exactly zero dollars promoting it and it will still sell because of us hardcore fans. Even HUGE video games like Madden football which is a guaranteed million seller spends all kinds of money months in advance with commercials, big cardboard signs in gamestop, blockbuster, ect ect. THEY probably dont have to but they at least want people to know and build a buzz about it.

They didnt release information on how few AA50’s were produced but we all found out in a hurry when 5 months after release it was going for 300 on ebay!! No information if it will be re-released, just rumors (they could clear this up in 1 second if they bothered). No pics of the new game being release in about 2 weeks (unheard of).

Im sorry, but they just are not treating us right and I am getting sick of it. Im gonna bite the bullet and buy AA50 for $300 on e-bay :x :x but that is it. Im never buying another Axis and Allies again. I have enough awesome house rules to fix the stupid broken rules and enough pieces with AA50 and my other games to last a lifetime. They lost me forever with any new thing they may release. They can shove their new game up their behind.

• @Huffzilla:

They can shove their new game up their behind.

…in which case going with a smaller mapboard than AA50 really seems like a good decision.

• @allboxcars:

@Huffzilla:

…in which case going with a smaller mapboard than AA50 really seems like a good decision.

Definitely. (Karma +1 to both of you! :))

The problem is the number of copies… they have to use only 1 or all the copies made?  :-D

• I’m boycotting them for shutting down TripleA.  I don’t like to provide any income to companies who run around knocking out fan driven material.

• Avalon Hill/Wizards/Hasbro can really learn something from Fantasy Flight Games in this respect. FFG does loads of previews, articles about design decisions, pictures, rulebooks etc on their website. Their customer support is also really top-notch; when I bought Descent from them and was missing one die (one of the two yellow ones) I emailed them and got a complete set of dice for free.

I can really see why FFG is so popular these days; they make top-notch games and their product support and information-on-website are absolutely world class. Learn AH, learn!

• for $300… I would print Imperious Map and use new sculpts from the new 1942 game instead.

• Yes and just to let people know i will definatly be making a AA42 map and various redone player aids.

I will use the AA42 sculpts and use them in my AA50 sets. Its what should have been done in the first place. Then when FMG comes out with the Italy pieces and others i will sub those out too.

• @marcelvdpol:

Avalon Hill/Wizards/Hasbro can really learn something from Fantasy Flight Games in this respect. FFG does loads of previews, articles about design decisions, pictures, rulebooks etc on their website. Their customer support is also really top-notch; when I bought Descent from them and was missing one die (one of the two yellow ones) I emailed them and got a complete set of dice for free.

I can really see why FFG is so popular these days; they make top-notch games and their product support and information-on-website are absolutely world class. Learn AH, learn!

hmmm must be that thang I read aboot… whaddiya callit… Ad-ver-tizin’

Most companies: Sell the sizzle.
    The chimps: sizzle? steak?  we ain’t got no steak. I got no comment on sizzle.

• You know if Wizards had bothered to print A&A:50 in mass, not only would we have a complete game, as opposed to NO-TECH '42), but it would be affordable too (~$50 vs. $100).

• Holy Crap!!! I almost cant believe what Im seeing!!! Are they seriouse releasing a game that sucks this bad??? This has got to be a joke!! I think even the big tobacco companys care more about their public perceptions than the A-holes that make Axis and Allies. Instead of me buying this game why doesnt an executive from Avalon Hill just come to my house and kick me in the balls!!! It  would be the same damn thing!!! Please people, I beg of all of you not to buy this suckfest of a game.

I should be able to buy a game and have everything I need to play in the box!!! Pencils and paper?? Screw them, if they want me to buy their game they have to at least give us free pencils so we can keep track of our income in their insult of a game. Im firing off a letter to these crapstains and I advise all of you to do the same.

• P.S.-I started this thread before any pics or information was released on the game. Now I understand why they didnt release any information about it……they knew it sucked and they didnt put any effort into it and Larry harris, you should hang your head for letting them do this to your creation.

• After reading Sean Shaw’s review on BGG and listening to everyone’s responses, I punched this letter to WOTC.  Don’t expect a response.

Topic:  Axis and Allies 1942

Dear Wizards,

Do you know what attracts new players to Axis and Allies?  Older players. I have never known anyone who got into A&A based on your non-existent marketing campaign or lame attempts to peddle the Avalon Hill Brand.

What I have seen, time and time again, are new players brought into the fold by veteran players.  It’s their love for the game and all its strategy that hooks new players.  New players are able to find groups of like minded people and, in doing so, are enticed to buy their own copy of the game.

This is the system from which your revenue flows.  Players bringing in players, encouraging each other to develop their skills and collection through competition and affirmation.

But that depends on certain things.  It depends on a certain level of continuity and improvement over successive generations of A&A.  It depends on a rich and “complete” strategy game being available (A&A Anniversary).  It depends on Wizards respecting their fan base and not insulting their intelligence.

In the case of Axis and Allies not all change is bad.  The Revised brand was in desperate need of a face-lift.  I agree with that.  Anniversary did a admirable job of reviving a storied franchise.  However, the conscious decision to cheapen the Axis and Allies brand with 1942 is bad.  Changes made only to make the game “easier” and “more accessible” to players, without a thought as to how it affects strategic depth, is most certainly bad.  Especially when these changes include – or rather “exclude” – the removal of Tech, Printed Currency, a Battle Board, and/or enough Playing Pieces.

I am not currently planning on quitting this game.  I have my copy of Axis and Allies Anniversary, and I enjoy it quite well.  However, for those players who do not own Anniversary and won’t pay the outrageous prices for one on e-bay, then understand that pissing off your existing playerbase has significant risks.  Especially when you refuse to do a second printing of Anniversary and instead opt for this piss-poor version of Revised.

On a more constructive note, rather than conducting market research only on potential clients, maybe you should address the clients that are responsible for most of your income.  Because neglecting them is probably a bad idea.

• '10

@allboxcars:

@Huffzilla:

• '10

@allboxcars:

@Huffzilla:

Especially true because in case there’s an accident they didn’t print money to wipe their a##

• @Huffzilla:

Im firing off a letter to these shitstains and I advise all of you to do the same.

‘Dear shitstains…’  :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Y’know it’s sad how often I see this in my life: companies who focus on trying to attract new clients / members to the extent that they are blind to how they’re selling out their current clients.

What marketing moron ever invented this disloyal & stupid business strategy?

• @allboxcars:

Greedy ones?

• @allboxcars:

The marketing moron’s that know in order to get any new fans they have to offer a reasonably priced game that someone will buy.  If you had no experience at all with this game but was just out with the family/friends to purchase a new game to play would you buy the $100 anniversary edition of a war game?  Probably not.  Would you buy a $35 dollar version of a war game?  Yeah, probably.  And if you liked it enough you just might spend more money to buy some other versions too.  Yeah, those marketing morons have no idea what they are doing, LOL  :roll:

• @scampb:

@allboxcars:

The marketing moron’s that know in order to get any new fans they have to offer a reasonably priced game that someone will buy.  If you had no experience at all with this game but was just out with the family/friends to purchase a new game to play would you buy the $100 anniversary edition of a war game?  Probably not.  Would you buy a $35 dollar version of a war game?  Yeah, probably.  And if you liked it enough you just might spend more money to buy some other versions too.  Yeah, those marketing morons have no idea what they are doing, LOL  :roll:

They are marketing morons. Actually I will just call them morons because there is absolutely no marketing what so ever. The only way you could possibly find out about Axis and Allies is if you walk into a hobby shop and see it or through web sites like this. In the right hands this game could be so much bigger than it is so you can stop rolling on the floor. And by the way, I know this isnt true for all areas but in my neck of the woods Axis and Allies Revised sold for 40 bucks, so that fictional family you talk about that buys this new piece of crap for 35 will soon find out how screwed they got if they end up likeing the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m