Man survives both atomic bombings

• I didn’t think this was WW2 “history,” especially since it is recent news.

TOKYO—A 93-year-old Japanese man has become the first person certified as a survivor of both U.S. atomic bombings at the end of World War II, officials said Tuesday.

Tsutomu Yamaguchi had already been a certified “hibakusha,” or radiation survivor, of the Aug. 9, 1945, atomic bombing in Nagasaki, but has now been confirmed as surviving the attack on Hiroshima three days earlier as well, city officials said.

Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima on a business trip on Aug. 6, 1945, when a U.S. B-29 dropped an atomic bomb on the city. He suffered serious burns to his upper body and spent the night in the city. He then returned to his hometown of Nagasaki just in time for the second attack, city officials said.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2009/03/24/japanese_man_certified_as_double_a_bomb_victim/

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Wow.

• Upon further reading, there have been a maybe a dozen or so others that this happened to.  But I don’t have a link for that, so it may be untrue.

• Wow, I thought Indiana Jones was the only one to ever survive a nuke! :-D

This man is Jason Lee’s true father…

GG

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@bbrett3:

Wow, I thought Indiana Jones was the only one to ever survive a nuke! :-D

Indiana was the dog’s name!  Besides, he’s a wuss!  Chuck Norris would kick his butt!

• yeah, but Chuck Norris wouldn’t need to survive a nuke. The nuke would need to survive Chuck Norris. :mrgreen:

• @Guerrilla:

GG

I’m totally missing the reference.

And I don’t know what to think of Chuck Norris anymore based one what he’s said and has encouraged people to do.

• @Jermofoot:

And I don’t know what to think of Chuck Norris anymore based one what he’s said and has encouraged people to do.

Norris has made a few ‘off the deep end comments lately’ but I really, really, don’t want to go there.

But it is still an interesting story about surviving two a-bombs. I would think Mr. Yamaguchi would have a unique perspective on things.

Do you suppose he ever had or maybe even still has nightmares about it?

• @frimmel:

Norris has made a few ‘off the deep end comments lately’ but I really, really, don’t want to go there.

Yeah, which is exactly why I didn’t link, allude, or quote anything.

But it is still an interesting story about surviving two a-bombs. I would think Mr. Yamaguchi would have a unique perspective on things.

Do you suppose he ever had or maybe even still has nightmares about it?

I really wonder his opinion on using the bombs or not.  I’m sure from a personal perspective it’s an unequivocal “no,” but it obviously caught some attention and avoided a drawn out invasion.

I would imagine the guy still lives with those events 60+ years ago.  Maybe not the event itself, but whatever else he saw…the destruction, death, disfigurement, etc.  And not knowing what the hell it was he could assume anything about those blasts.

• 2007 AAR League

What is truly amazing is that the guy has lived to be 93. He suffered at least 1 large dose of radiation with the burns to go along with it and then a second unspecified dose 3 days later, yet, after 64 years, he has no adverse effects aside from the burn scars.

• @U-505:

What is truly amazing is that the guy has lived to be 93. He suffered at least 1 large dose of radiation with the burns to go along with it and then a second unspecified dose 3 days later, yet, after 64 years, he has no adverse effects aside from the burn scars.

I noted that as well. Seems likely there is a hypothesis for research in this man’s diet or lifestyle.

@Jermofoot:

@Guerrilla:

GG

I’m totally missing the reference.

I don’t know why I thought Jason, I mean Bruce Lee…

Now I remember… Both are actually famous Martial Arts Actors but Bruce I guess would be the more well known one…

GG

• @U-505:

Yeah, I thought about that, and the paper makes a point to say that his health condition was not relayed.  But even people in good health often don’t make it to 93…

@Guerrilla:

I don’t know why I thought Jason, I mean Bruce Lee…

Oh, I first thought you meant My Name is Earl, Kevin Smith movie actor, and former pro skateboarder Jason Lee.  :lol:

• 2007 AAR League

@Jermofoot:

@U-505:

Yeah, I thought about that, and the paper makes a point to say that his health condition was not relayed.  But even people in good health often don’t make it to 93…

Exactly. He ain’t dead. Don’t forget, he was exposed in the mid 40’s when even we had only a rudimentary knowledge of the weapon itself, let alone the short and long term effects of exposure to the blast. Whatever problems he did develop were, at best, treatable by 40’s and 50’s era medicine so it couldn’t have been that bad.

Like Frimmel said, every aspect of his life should be studied. At the very least, he is a Nobel prize in genetics waiting to happen.

• Man talk about luck.

Good luck to survive both.

Bad luck to be there for both.

Lots of luck involved anyway.

As far as the age thing certain areas in Japan have been known for having people regularly live to 100 or more due to diet and lifestyle.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m