• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

I know I’ll sound stupid, but: what’s shuck-shuck in classic?

Well there are actually a couple different uses of the phrase “shuck-shuck.” I’m more familiar with the Revised version, but its essentially the same principle at work.

Usually a “shuck-shuck” refers to setting up a logistics scheme with transports and ground units, so that you can quickly transfer troops from one end of the board to the other. Basically, its when you leave a sea zone, pick up troops, and then return to that same sea zone to unload, all in a single move. In Revised, if you stick a definite article in front of it, “The shuck-shuck” move, then most assume that you’re talking about the troop train that ends in sz 4 (where you end up unloading 8+ units a round into Archangel or Karelia.)

Other popular shuck spots are sz 12 to E. Canada or UK, and back to Africa in one move. Sz 2 or sz 8, to E. Canada and back to UK in one move etc.  All these spots can be used together in conjunction, especially once the USA gets set up. So what you end up with is a long series of “1 move to pick up troops and then return to unload” that leads from the Atlantic coast of America, to London, and then onward either to Northern Russia, or Fortress Europa itself.

Some people will also use the term “shuck”, to describe any situation where infantry stacks are being maneuvered in a coordinated/sequential way. So some will people talk about shucking troops from W. USA, to W. Canada, to E. Canada for example (“the troop train out of Western”) even though no transports would be involved until they actually arrived in E. Canada.

I don’t know who coined the term, but I’ve been using it for about as long as I can remember. :)

• Thanks  :-)
    now I realize that I didn’t know the term but I did know the tactic

• @Romulus:

Try to start a discussion for balancing the initial set up… .and you will discover how many different opinions there are, which one should be the one to be used for fixing the setup?

Well, after a few months of play, if it is obvious that there will be bidding, then we could petition Larry Harris to release a re-balanced setup.  (Just like after one buys a new set of tires, it is recommended that he get the tires re-balanced occasionally.)

• Customizer

I don’t know if I’m repeating old news but in the old days we used to do a ‘build-up round’ where everone got so many number of rounds to do nothing but non-combat, puchase and deployment. usually one or two rounds.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned somewhere around here but if there’s anyone who hasn’t thought or heard of it I thought I’d mention it.

• @Bardoly:

@Romulus:

Try to start a discussion for balancing the initial set up… .and you will discover how many different opinions there are, which one should be the one to be used for fixing the setup?

Well, after a few months of play, if it is obvious that there will be bidding, then we could petition Larry Harris to release a re-balanced setup.  (Just like after one buys a new set of tires, it is recommended that he get the tires re-balanced occasionally.)

Ehm. For revised usually there is a bidding for Axis that range from 4 IPC to 10, averaging 6-7 IPC.
    The unit selcted for pre game placement are depending from the player ideas. There is not one that is the “correct” fix for the unbalanced setup.
    Waht they do, as I already said, is increasing the confidence of a player in having enough chance of winning. Both in PBEM than in face to face games bidding give a degree of variation etc.
    Maybe we can select some different placements and vote for selecting one for the people that do not use bidding for proposing it as official fix. I prefer bid, however, for the reason I said and because with bidding I can try a different fix each game.

• 2007 AAR League

@Black_Elk:

-If the game is unbalanced in favor of the Axis, then my favorite solution would be a starting factory for the British in India or Australia.

Man, that not a very good idea at all… :-)
    That factory would be owned by Japan , after J2, and then that IC  would be producing even more small yellow men  :-)

• @Flying:

I see no strategy evolving that includes fighting Japan with a large enough effort that simulates the real war. It will be KGIF. I do think KGIF can be defeated by Japan buying large quantities of bombers and using them to blast Russian ICs. This would give the Germans an opening to crush Russia.

Japan can make America fight.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m