• Hey guys – over on the AH Boards, I keep reading about something called “overwatch”.  I suppose it’s part of the “Advanced” rules that neither Mateooo or I have bothered to purchase.  I don’t have a profile over there, so I though I’d ask here.  Do any of you have idea what that is and how it works?

Thanks,
    G

• I know what “bounding overwatch” is.

Its a military maneuver where a group moves forward while another group provides covering fire, or supports the effort by following the first group by moving in a forward position. Each group pivots forward to move into enemy territory is alike a leapfrog style movement.

Its a term i read in an army training manual for platoon tactics for combat.

• overwatch is a play on defensive fire. during your movement or attack phase, you can declare that you are placing a unit in over watch which counts as the units action for that phase. What does this mean? When the unit is put into overwatch, the turrent or facing of the unit determines what hex row is in overwatch. Overwatch only applies to the row of hexes that the turrent is facing (both fixed guns and turreted) as far as the range of that particular unit.  If an enemy unit moves through that hex row, the unit in overwatch can perform a defensive fire attack if it has line of sight to the enemy unit.  For example, if you have a german 88 flak gun in overwatch and an enemy tank moves through the hex row in overwatch, the 88 can defensive fire with appropriate ranged AT value.  Also, in the new rules, defensive fire can damage or destroy instead of only disrupting.  Be careful with overwatch though, units in overwatch can not move until they are taken out of overwatch and they can only attack units that move through the hex row in overwatch.  If you move first and place a unit in overwatch and your opponent moves units so they can attack the unit in overwatch, you can not move are attack the units in your attack phase.  You have to use that units action to take it out of overwatch.  Hope this helps.

das panzer.jpg

• Our experience is that it takes another counter to identify who is in overwatch and I think there is a limit of how many units in a standard game may be placed on overwatch.

If you have good lines of sight with extended range units you can effectively shut down areas of the board.  Buy the Expanded rules.  I also really like grazing fire for the machine guns.

• Thanks guys! :-)

• 2007 AAR League

is there a place to see the expanded rules online (without paying)

• @mateooo:

is there a place to see the expanded rules online (without paying)

Mateooo is cheap that way, you understand. :wink:

• i would also like to know if anyone knows were to find the expanded rules for free.

• @sublime828:

overwatch is a play on defensive fire. during your movement or attack phase, you can declare that you are placing a unit in over watch which counts as the units action for that phase. What does this mean? When the unit is put into overwatch, the turrent or facing of the unit determines what hex row is in overwatch. Overwatch only applies to the row of hexes that the turrent is facing (both fixed guns and turreted) as far as the range of that particular unit.  If an enemy unit moves through that hex row, the unit in overwatch can perform a defensive fire attack if it has line of sight to the enemy unit.  For example, if you have a german 88 flak gun in overwatch and an enemy tank moves through the hex row in overwatch, the 88 can defensive fire with appropriate ranged AT value.  Also, in the new rules, defensive fire can damage or destroy instead of only disrupting.  Be careful with overwatch though, units in overwatch can not move until they are taken out of overwatch and they can only attack units that move through the hex row in overwatch.  If you move first and place a unit in overwatch and your opponent moves units so they can attack the unit in overwatch, you can not move are attack the units in your attack phase.  You have to use that units action to take it out of overwatch.  Hope this helps.

Nice explanation. I always wondered about this. Thanks!

• @sublime828:

You have to use that units action to take it out of overwatch.  Hope this helps.

Does this mean if a unit is on overwatch, it takes their entire next turn to get out of overwatch?

• Sorry, another question though. If a unit is placed on overwatch (example, a german mg,42 team) do they only get overwatch on the one row they are facing or does it apply to anyone in moving into hexes they can fire on.

• @Obergruppenfuhrer:

Sorry, another question though. If a unit is placed on overwatch (example, a german mg,42 team) do they only get overwatch on the one row they are facing or does it apply to anyone in moving into hexes they can fire on.

From the way the rules read, it applies only to a single row of hexes.

• Sweet gamer, thank you!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m