• '19 Moderator

HS was good times for me, lots of parties and hanging out with friends.  College was harder (mostly because I skated in HS) but the Parties were better.  After college was harder yet, but the fun was better too, more travel more parties in Mexico etc.  Married life was harder yet, someone else to consider in decisions, but again the rewards get better.  And kids well the trend continues, the parties aren’t what they used to be but their are more fun things, I just took my 2 oldest kids to shoot their first rifles this past weekend great times.

Great power may come with great responsibility, but great responsibility comes with great rewards.

Sweet Dzrt, what did they learn to shoot?

GG

• '19 Moderator

I got them both single shot .22 rifles for Christmas.  Last weekend was the first time I was able to get them out to break em in.

This is an image of my daughters rifle (my son’s is black):

pink2201.jpg

FLOWER POWER! ROFLOL! Brilliant, I love it… you should buy one and take it on tour.

“You just got pwned by my daughter’s rifle…”

GG

• '19 Moderator

lol, it’s pretty acurate too, I held a group the size of a dime when I sighted it in, of course they were just learning so it was only 50 feet, but I thought it was still good for a kids gun.  My son by the way, after an hour of shooting, was keeping about a two to three inch group.

Nice, you trained him well… I didn’t fare so well with a .22… I did better with a Revolver…

GG

• .22 revolvers are a blast. ~ZP

• '19 Moderator

We’re off topic, I’ll start a topic on shooting tomorrow.

• 2007 AAR League

HA!  in america school sucking and guns have become synonymous.  wait, thats sad.  :cry:

• not sure I want to go out in the real world just yet

• '19 Moderator

Good instincts, avoid the real world as long as possible

• What?!? There’s a real world? When did that start? ~ZP

• I am doing very well in fantasy land thank you very much.

I only dip my toe into the pool of the real world Monday through Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. …

• 2007 AAR League

what about making the real world a fantasy land.  that sounds nice, see ya in the asylum.

• @balungaloaf:

what about making the real world a fantasy land.  that sounds nice, see ya in the asylum.

It’s just a program/simulation, dontcha know MATRIX boy?

• To the original topic - consider your goals, and then develop the plan to address those goals.  NOT setting a goal is simply setting a bad goal.  Saying “be wealthy” or “be happy” as a goal - IS a goal. 
    It is very difficult to attain these last two goals without an appropriate education. 
    My advice - use the time to learn that you have as effectively as possible.  Be focused, and pack as much in in the little time you have to learn that you can. 
    I worked in a factory to pay my way through university.  I do not regret a single second of the time i spent studying - if anything, i regret the time that i spent goofing off, moping about losing my flavor-of-the-week, because although i am working my ass off now, i am building an amazing house, i’ve got a great car, i’ve got the most amazing wife, and i’m taking 4 people that i love to Orlando soon.  I can take a day off whenever i need/want, and yet i expect to retire in my early-50’s as a multi-millionaire.  This is all despite living in a sociallist country.  Boo-ya.
    Now if pumping gas is your idea of a great time, then drop out of school RIGHT NOW!!  Who knows - you could even aspire to be a waiter or a retail worker!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Well, lets not always assume that college = good life.  More and more people are going to college now and as the percentage of the population who graduates from college increases, the respect of a 4 year degree decreases.

If you want your college education to actually mean something, now a days, you almost have to get a masters degree in something.

• 2007 AAR League

sadly true.  why!?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Just my opinion, Balung, but I believe that the problem with the correllation between college graduation status and good job has declined because college acceptance standards and college grading standards have declined over the years.  I, to be honest here, place the start of this decline about the time of the Vietnam War.  Professors were pressured not to flunk students out because they did not want to feel guilty if that student was later drafted and sent to war and then died.  Honestly, if put in that situation, I would probably have the same worries.

From there it became sort of a “right” to go to college in the 1980s when the yuppies were invented.

Once that happened, the amount of available jobs in relation to the amount of available college graduates began to be exhausted allowing employers for lower positions to start requiring college degrees (which was great for the employer, they got a better trained cog for their machine, but the cog got the worse pay of a lower position) and it’s been downhill from there.

Now, realize, I do not like the slippery slope argument.  But, in this case, I think it fits the historical pattern as I know it.  Also note, I do not pretend to be an expert in the subject, I am voicing my own, informed, opinion based on observation, anecdotal evidence, life experience (both as an employer, as an employee, as a student and as an instructor) and the experiences of personal friends and family.

It is fully possible we just got unlucky and thus, that’s how it appears to us.  I doubt it.  But it is completely possible.

• @cystic:

To the original topic - consider your goals, and then develop the plan to address those goals.  NOT setting a goal is simply setting a bad goal.  Saying “be wealthy” or “be happy” as a goal - IS a goal. 
    It is very difficult to attain these last two goals without an appropriate education.

Lincoln has a great quote: “people are as happy as they let themselves be”. I’ve known plenty of college drop-outs who were perfectly happy being cops, mechanics, electricians, etc. Formal education just wasnt for them. Doesnt mean they’re any less happy because theyre driving a Honda instead of a Lexus. Maybe M36 is perfcetly happy being a grunt. Maybe serving his country is his idea of bliss. He’ll never get rich from it, but so what? Do what you love, even if its toting around an M16 in some shithole like Iraq.

because although i am working my a** off now, i am building an amazing house, i’ve got a great car, i’ve got the most amazing wife, and i’m taking 4 people that i love to Orlando soon.  I can take a day off whenever i need/want, and yet i expect to retire in my early-50’s as a multi-millionaire.

My wife’s father was a bit like this. Very prominent tax attorney here in the states. Worked very hard, even argued a few cases in front of the Supreme Court. Married a Circuit Court of Appeals judge. He was worth a couple million by the time he flew his Cessna into a mountain on a clear blue day. Maybe it was an accdient, but he was a fighter pilot in Korea and knew his way around planes. She thinks he killed himself. What she thinks happened is that he had this IDEA that money, status, and things would make him happy (this is a very powerful idea in America, and is what drives our economy, in fact). So when he got those things, and still wasn’t happy, it was like, what can I do now?

I’m not saying you’re like that my father-in-law, but basing happiness on a nice house, great car, and loads of cash, can ultimately leave you unfulfilled.

Now if pumping gas is your idea of a great time, then drop out of school RIGHT NOW!!  Who knows - you could even aspire to be a waiter or a retail worker!

This is elitist crap. My brother-in-law was never happier than when he was working as a checker at Albertsons, making like $30K a year. Very much a people person. Then he got a job that paid twice as much working as a prison guard. He now makes $90,000+ a year working as a Probationary Officer and hates every minute of it. I ask him why he doesn’t go back to checking, but he’d have to sell his house, and his car. He’s become emotionally invested in this idea that money will make him happy.

You don’t have to be a doctor or lawyer to be happy. Its all your attitude. Why do you think there’s so much suicide, divorse, and substance abuse among the rich and famous? Don’t they have everything you listed? Car, house, money, vacations?

Here’s a good article:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/forbes/P95294.asp

“Surveys have found virtually the same level of happiness between the very rich individuals on the Forbes 400 and the Maasai herdsman of East Africa. Lottery winners return to their previous level of happiness after five years. Increases in income just don’t seem to make people happier – and most negative life experiences likewise have only a small impact on long-term satisfaction.”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m