Should Schools Require School Uniforms?

• 2007 AAR League

@cyan:

@Baghdaddy:

@Jermofoot:

Gang recruitment at an elementary school?  That’s just sad…

Yes, it is.  It also was happening.

We lived in a school district that was predominantly Mexican farm workers.  The cost of living is such that it would take 2 or more working adults, per bedroom, to pay the rent of the houses.  This meant a four bedroom house would have 8+ working adults with attendent children.  The adults would not be able to stay home and watch over the kids, so parenting falls to the oldest kids.  This lack of family structure encourages kids to find structure elsewhere and gangs provide that.

Add a language barrier, and legal status issues to the crushing poverty and it is a breeding ground for troubl

you shouldn’t make excuses.

Not sure I understand what you mean.

• @Baghdaddy:

@cyan:

@Baghdaddy:

@Jermofoot:

Gang recruitment at an elementary school?  That’s just sad…

Yes, it is.  It also was happening.

We lived in a school district that was predominantly Mexican farm workers.  The cost of living is such that it would take 2 or more working adults, per bedroom, to pay the rent of the houses.  This meant a four bedroom house would have 8+ working adults with attendent children.  The adults would not be able to stay home and watch over the kids, so parenting falls to the oldest kids.  This lack of family structure encourages kids to find structure elsewhere and gangs provide that.

Add a language barrier, and legal status issues to the crushing poverty and it is a breeding ground for troubl

you shouldn’t make excuses.

Not sure I understand what you mean.

your  creating excuses for their behavior for joining gangs by invoking a sympathy for them and  moving the responsibilty from the children to thier parents.

• 2007 AAR League

Just reporting the conditions.

Obviously not all the kids were becoming gang members so it is not something they were being forced into but the lack of parental supervision was not helping.

You are free to offer your own ideas on why we were seeing gang recruitment in 2nd grade.

• 2007 AAR League

@Baghdaddy:

gang recruitment in 2nd grade.

I think I saw that on an episode of Walker Texas Ranger once

• 2007 AAR League

I saw it in my sons 2nd grade class.

Not cool.

• 2007 AAR League

Yeah that sounds like a realy bad situation

• 2007 AAR League

The irony for me was it was cheaper to move to a better school district than send my kids to private school.

20th Anniversary Give Away

In January 2000 this site came to life and now we're celebrating our 20th Anniversary with a prize giveaway of 30+ prizes. See this link for the list of prizes and winners.
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys
T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.5m