• Title is self explanatory. In Pacific40, since the Non-aggression pact is considered to apply I understand it’s not there nor are any of the other Soviet troops. But why on earth not in global???

Besides, since both games have " 40" in the title, I don’t really get why in the global version they claim it’s pre-non-aggression pact and in Pacific40 it suddenly applies……

• @Koningstiger:

Besides, since both games have " 40" in the title, I don’t really get why in the global version they claim it’s pre-non-aggression pact and in Pacific40 it suddenly applies……

Ha! Very good point

• @Koningstiger:

Title is self explanatory. In Pacific40, since the Non-aggression pact is considered to apply I understand it’s not there nor are any of the other Soviet troops. But why on earth not in global???

Soviet fleet, i think, is very small compared to Japanese one. By the way i think it’s fair to a cruiser and destroyer ( naval port?? In the far east we have Vladivostock as important city).

• I sometimes think that details like this come down to a question of balance for the game.  I’d rather have a game that was lacking in some of the historical detail but was more fun to play than a game that was very historically accurate but was a walk over for one side over the other.

• Hi everyone,

Been reading these forums for the last 8 months and have enjoyed everyones input.  Big thanks to djensen and everyone who have provided previews and screenshots for Europe 1940.  I can barely wait another 2 weeks for this game to come out.

Regarding the global peice setup I would have loved it if they added more than just 18 Russian infantry on the pac side and 1 ANZAC inf on the eur side.  I think it is really fun when other nations are represented on both sides of the world.  Of course as Bruda mentions, gameplay has to be a big consideration.

My house rules might add a Russion Destroyer and Sub.  A cruiser might disturb things in the Pacific too much.  I’ll probably also add 1 french infantry in FIC.

I also think that the Italians might be too over powered in Africa, maybe another ANZAC infantry and another UK INF in Alexandria or Egypt might even it out a little.  Obviously I may have a different opinion when I play the game.

• @Seven_Patch:

Hi everyone,

Been reading these forums for the last 8 months and have enjoyed everyones input.  Big thanks to djensen and everyone who have provided previews and screenshots for Europe 1940.  I can barely wait another 2 weeks for this game to come out.

Regarding the global peice setup I would have loved it if they added more than just 18 Russian infantry on the pac side and 1 ANZAC inf on the eur side.  I think it is really fun when other nations are represented on both sides of the world.  Of course as Bruda mentions, gameplay has to be a big consideration.

My house rules might add a Russion Destroyer and Sub.  A cruiser might disturb things in the Pacific too much.  I’ll probably also add 1 french infantry in FIC.

I also think that the Italians might be too over powered in Africa, maybe another ANZAC infantry and another UK INF in Alexandria or Egypt might even it out a little.  Obviously I may have a different opinion when I play the game.

I agree with you. The UK fleet is little and vulnerable to first german and italian attacks. It lacks of another battleship (or cruiser) and 1\2 destroyers.

Italian army is overpowered in land and underpowered in sea. At least another battleship or cruiser plus one destroyer and 1 sub, too many mech infantry…

• @Seven_Patch:

Hi everyone,

I like the idea of adding to the UK/Anzacs in North Africa especially as it seems like the med will be cut off by neutral territories on one side and have restricted access through the straights of Gibralta on the other side making it very hard to get allied re enforcements into the area.

• It appears to me that this game has been play tested fairly well.  The strengths and weaknesses are there for game balance/playability and fun.  Some historical accuracy is there, but not all, so I think we really cant complain too much.

If you add units somewhere…like USSR naval units in the Pacfic, then you also must counter that with some sort of additional force for Japan, and now you have potentially thrown off the balance that was tested by the game designers.  So, its not worth it.

• @miamibeach:

It appears to me that this game has been play tested fairly well.  The strengths and weaknesses are there for game balance/playability and fun.  Some historical accuracy is there, but not all, so I think we really cant complain too much.

If you add units somewhere…like USSR naval units in the Pacfic, then you also must counter that with some sort of additional force for Japan, and now you have potentially thrown off the balance that was tested by the game designers.  So, its not worth it.

Every unit has a value and worth.  If you start adding Fighters, Cruisers and Battleships then I totally agree with you.  But adding two more Infantry in Africa (worth 6 dollars) in Europe, one Russian Destroyer and Sub in Pacific (14 total dollars) and one French infantry in FIC (3 dollars) shouldn’t upset game play much.  I guess you could give Italy one more infantry in Rome and give Japan one more Destroyer somewhere to balance it.

I think it’s worth it to add options to game play and make it even more interesting.

You could take it further and give UK two more Destroyers near England to represent the many destroyers obtained through the lend-lease program and give the Germans another fighter.

Personally I don’t like that G1 it’s pretty automatic to destroy a lot of the BRN.  I don’t recall that being part of history.

• @Seven_Patch:

@miamibeach:

It appears to me that this game has been play tested fairly well.  The strengths and weaknesses are there for game balance/playability and fun.  Some historical accuracy is there, but not all, so I think we really cant complain too much.

If you add units somewhere…like USSR naval units in the Pacfic, then you also must counter that with some sort of additional force for Japan, and now you have potentially thrown off the balance that was tested by the game designers.  So, its not worth it.

Every unit has a value and worth.  If you start adding Fighters, Cruisers and Battleships then I totally agree with you.  But adding two more Infantry in Africa (worth 6 dollars) in Europe, one Russian Destroyer and Sub in Pacific (14 total dollars) and one French infantry in FIC (3 dollars) shouldn’t upset game play much.  I guess you could give Italy one more infantry in Rome and give Japan one more Destroyer somewhere to balance it.

I think it’s worth it to add options to game play and make it even more interesting.

You could take it further and give UK two more Destroyers near England to represent the many destroyers obtained through the lend-lease program and give the Germans another fighter.

Personally I don’t like that G1 it’s pretty automatic to destroy a lot of the BRN.  I don’t recall that being part of history.

If you put 1 inf in FIC, then the Japanese will have to use more than just the 2 Siam inf to have a good chance of taking it. This divers either troops from yunnan or planes from other areas

• @miamibeach:

It appears to me that this game has been play tested fairly well.  The strengths and weaknesses are there for game balance/playability and fun.  Some historical accuracy is there, but not all, so I think we really cant complain too much.

If you add units somewhere…like USSR naval units in the Pacfic, then you also must counter that with some sort of additional force for Japan, and now you have potentially thrown off the balance that was tested by the game designers.  So, its not worth it.

Actually I feel Japan could use some more opposition in the pacific theatre. Pacific 40 is highly unbalanced in Japan’s favour!

• @calvinhobbesliker:

If you put 1 inf in FIC, then the Japanese will have to use more than just the 2 Siam inf to have a good chance of taking it. This divers either troops from yunnan or planes from other areas

In Global I think Japan is unlikely to try a J1 attack since that would bring America into the war against Germany.  If that is the case then Japan has more than enough airpower to attack FIC.

• @Seven_Patch:

@calvinhobbesliker:

In Global I think Japan is unlikely to try a J1 attack since that would bring America into the war against Germany.  If that is the case then Japan has more than enough airpower to attack FIC.

Even without a J1, Japan can still attack France since a DoW on France doesn’t affect anyone else.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Seven_Patch:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Even without a J1, Japan can still attack France since a DoW on France doesn’t affect anyone else.

I think that is his point.  Since Japan won’t be attacking US or UK in J1, they will have more than enough air to deal with 1 Inf in FIC.

Note that I’m not necessarily endorsing the proposed change, I’m just clarifying the arguement.  (I hope).

• I think Japan already blew up most of the Soviet fleet back in 1905.  Maybe the lack of naval units reflects Russia’s desire to NOT repeat the naval debacle.

• I’m not really saying the additional units are needed.  I’m just saying it might make it more fun and interesting.

I’ll likely play a game or two with the designed set up and make a judgment then.  As miamibeach has said, the game appears to have been play tested well.

This is just a desire of mine to see French and a simple and small Russian fleet in the Pacific.  Add more color to the Pacific theater.

• In 1940 USSR did have some naval assets at Vlad, I think some subs and some lighter surface combat ships(CA’s or light CA’s).

If you think the Allies should get about 23 IPC’s worth of extra units, why not give the same amount to the Axis?  I’m not endorsing any of this, but just wondering why.

• @miamibeach:

In 1940 USSR did have some naval assets at Vlad, I think some subs and some lighter surface combat ships(CA’s or light CA’s).

If you think the Allies should get about 23 IPC’s worth of extra units, why not give the same amount to the Axis?  I’m not endorsing any of this, but just wondering why.

I’m not against giving the axis an even amount of IPC’s in units.  I don’t know if Japan needs it though, they have so much airpower they can easily wipe out a lot of Ally IPC unit value.

Makes sense though, if I give Russia a destroyer and sub then I can give a destoyer and sub to Japan.  2 more allied infantry in Alexandria/Egypt, Italy gets one more infantry and Germany gets one more infantry (one guy in Rome and the other in Romania respectivly).

For the extra French Infantry in FIC, Japan can have an extra guy on Japan.

I don’t see whats wrong with this and how it will upset gameplay, but on the flip side it’s likely not needed.

• Customizer

This is an acute problem for Russia in that the normal route to the far east for their fleet (around the north of Siberia) does not exist on the map.

They allowed German commerce raiders to use this route to attack Allied shipping in the Pacific, but ships launched in northern Russia have this highway denied them, leaving a factory in Amuria the only option.

Another hang-over from neutral Russia in Pacific is the lack of convoy boxes in szs 3, 4 & 5.  This Pacific route accounted for about 50% of Allied aid to Russia.
    Presumably the convoy in sz 80 is meant to represent the Caucasus route.

• @Flashman:

This is an acute problem for Russia in that the normal route to the far east for their fleet (around the north of Siberia) does not exist on the map.

They allowed German commerce raiders to use this route to attack Allied shipping in the Pacific, but ships launched in northern Russia have this highway denied them, leaving a factory in Amuria the only option.

Only 1 German ship went through that route.

If it’s normal, why did the Baltic fleet go round Africa in 1905?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m