• So far I have played three games of AAG1940. My first game took eight hours, with a large amount of time being spent discusing rules and talking to Larry Harris. We only got through four or five turns, however it was only me playing the axis and my opponent played all six allies :-o! Towards the end Larry took the time to spend a few turns destroying my japanese navy :-(. It looked like the allies would eventually have won, although it ended on a high note for japan after an ill fated american air raid.

I have played two other games. One ending inconclusivly, and the other with an axis victory after a succesful sea lion. I will be spending the wholeday playing yet another game tomarrow.

From the way it looks its ten hours for eight turns with people who know what they are doing. I have had a lot of fun playing and am very impressed. There are alot of different options on each front and even if you just get through a few turns its very satisfying. Think of playing multiply games of chess at the same time, or maybe playing multiple games of axis&allies is a better example(2 to be percise :lol:). I’ll post some pictures soon aswell  and some comments on gameplay.

If anyone has questions on rules or gameplay ask away. I might be able to answer them or I will get them answered tommarow.

Edit: UPDATE: pictureshttp://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2o55np8yln58f

• Did the allies invade Spain in any of the games and what did the Germans do with france after sea-lion?

Did the Germans attack Russia early in any games and how did that go?

lastly, what did Russia do with her 18 infantry and how did that front play out?

• Customizer

@Imperious:

what did Russia do with her 18 infantry and how did that front play out?

@cminke:

how many neuterls were invaded by axis/allies. how big of a problem are neutrls?  
    how well did italy do? what did africa look like after a game?

Also, were STRICT neutrals attacked by either axis or allies? Why or why not? How big of a factor did this play in the game?

AND THANKS.

• @Imperious:

Did the allies invade Spain in any of the games and what did the Germans do with france after sea-lion?

lastly, what did Russia do with her 18 infantry and how did that front play out?

Niether side invaded Spain and as far a I know nobody considered it. They have about six inf so I suppose that is discouraging. I really didnt notice what happened too france after sea lion. In one game I watched the Soviets retake Scotland from the Germans. The first question to ask when playing the UK is how is Germany going to invaded me?

Germany did not attack early in any of these games. In fact in one game the Soviets  took the time too build an additional battleship and a fully loaded carrier in the baltic. In the first game we read the rules wrong and the Soviets made a turn one attack. Normally the Soviets cant attack until turn four. Being at peace with the Soviets is a 5 ipc bonus for Germany, for having norway, denmark and a neutral or controlled sweden they get another 5 ipc bonus. There other bonuses is 5 for each Soviet city and 3 for having a land unit in Egypt. Mind you these are Global bonuses and it is likly different for just Europe. In general there are less/simpler bonuses for each nation in global.

The tactical situation and possibilties on soviet-japanese border are a little complicated and I plan to right a complete answer on that soon. Essentially I advise the Soviets too split the inf into two or three territories otherwise the japanese air force along with a few land units and some lucky rolls can take them all out. With a additional fighter which the soviets can get plenty of the border is quite defenceable as far a I can tell. Since your not fighting the Germans you might aswell send a tank too.
    Its hard being Japan with the soviet inf and the US plopping down three aircraft carriers on US1.

• How successful was Italy in flooding Africa with troops? Was the UK able to slow them down in the MED?

• @cminke:

what does the tech inproved mec inf do? how long did france last? how far did germany reach into russia?  did france ever get liberated? how many neuterls were invaded by axis/allies. how big of a problem are neutrls?   how epic was it?

and wat did you and larry talk about? how is he like?(decribe his personality.)
    post pic soon will ya! :-P :lol:

also how well did italy do? what did africa look like after a game?

Imporved mech inf allows tanks to support mech inf to attack at 2. I didnt play any games where Germany made it too any of the Soviet VCs. Leningrad is really defenceable, as the Germans I mainly aimed at Moscow and Stalingrad. The UK retook normandy on its own after terrible rolls by the kriegsmarine, Germany and Italy can reinforce Paris really easily. So far only neutrals that were historically attack have been. No one has invaded or defended Crete.

Larry has a great personality although he really shoved it in my face when he took out my invasion fleet that I beleaved was destined for india. I got back at him by shooting down all his US aircraft in the pacific. He discussed the UK income division, problems with pacific, other smaller rules, general tactics. Larry is also very particular about how the peices on the board are set up. He spent about a half hour reorganizing how all the peices were stacked. Everything is stacked except navies which arnt. everything faces towards the enemy and aircraft carries are paired toghether to support two aircraft with one chip under each.

Africa and the Med are fun. Italy gets 5 ipcs for having no allied ships in the med and 5 for having southern france, greece and egypt. After four turns they can be makeing 30+ ipcs. UK can definetly put up a fight, just look at the setup. With the US involved Italy can start hurting pretty fast. Africa+Med is like half a game on its own.

Strict neutral really didnt come into play as of yet. The sea zones line up exactly so its pretty obvious when you look at the board.

France is done the first turn(+19 ipcs to germany), although with lucky rolls they can kill a good number of germans. Their ships and colonial inf can also be useful.

• Did the Free French units help out the Allies in any way?

• Can you list the remaining NO’s that you haven’t told us about yet?

• @Emperor_Taiki:

The sea zones line up exactly so its pretty obvious when you look at the board.

I think we’re more interested in how they work when going east from the Pacific board over to the Europe board and vice versa.  The sea zones can’t line up perfectly there as there are only 3 sea zones on the western edge of the Europe board, while there are 4 sea zones on the eastern edge of the Pacific board, so it’s not like the sea zones in the Indian Ocean that line up perfectly, and there are no A -> A, B -> B, etc. like on the Spring 1942 board (that we can make out at least).

• Thank you Emperor Taiki for taking time out to relay all this great info. it must be very exciting to be at Gen Con. :-)

• Ditto that, you know we’re all jealous.

• @Emperor_Taiki:

Larry is also very particular about how the peices on the board are set up. He spent about a half hour reorganizing how all the peices were stacked. Everything is stacked except navies which arnt. everything faces towards the enemy and aircraft carries are paired toghether to support two aircraft with one chip under each.

I suppose now is the launch of the game with many photos being taken of the global game.

Units need to be orderly on the map.

• The most important question in my mind is how long the Russian battleship lives  :roll:

• Sounds like Larry has a light case of OCD, LOL. Man this is awesome, everything sounds so cool. But yeah tell us more about the NOs, from what it sounds like the axis can really close the income gap on the allies with these things.

• @maverick_76:

Sounds like Larry has a light case of OCD, LOL. Man this is awesome, everything sounds so cool. But yeah tell us more about the NOs, from what it sounds like the axis can really close the income gap on the allies with these things.

Not OCD, but a photo opp. Maybe many cameras from all over the country taking pics.

• I’m just kidding, I’m anal retentive about the way the units are placed too.

• I have been guilty too.

• This might be a dumb question but can China get techs? While they can’t benefit from all of them, War Bonds, Long-Range (for the Flying Tigers), and the one which lets artillery support 2 infantry could all be really useful for China.

• @Mino1124:

This might be a dumb question but can China get techs? While they can’t benefit from all of them, War Bonds, Long-Range (for the Flying Tigers), and the one which lets artillery support 2 infantry could all be really useful for China.

Jets as well.

• I am doing this from memory, so dont quote me.

Axis & Allies Global(not europe) 1940NOs

Germany

• 5 for denmark, norway, and a neutral or axis sweden.
    • 5 for being at peace with the soviets
    • 5 for each soviet VC
      +3 for having a land unit in egypt

Soviet
    +5 for being at war(in europe, i dont think it counts if there just fighting japan)
    +6 for each original german territory if they have all of their originals

Japan
    +5 for the dutch east indies
    +5 for each of these VCs: calacutta, sydney, and hawaii

Italy
    +5 for getting all the allied warships out of the med
    +5 for southern france, egypt, and greece

UK
    +5 for getting rid of the subs in the atlantic
    +5 for ANZAC and Canada having all their original territories

ANZAC
    +5 for having New Britain, soloman inlands, new guinea and dutch new guienea
    +3 for having original territories and malaya

USA

• 30 for being at war

China
    +6 for the burma road

France
    none :lol:( they get four inf when paris is liberated)

more answers and picks coming soon

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m