What if these happen? - Extrem G1 Strategy

• Scenario 1 (Probability 16.67%):

In G1, Germany rolls 1 dice for tech “long distance aircraft” and get 4 (succeed to breakthrough)!

Scenario 2 (Probability 66.5%):

In G1, Germany rolls 6 dice for tech “long distance aircraft” and get 1 dice 4!

In either scenario, the following action German will take shoud definitely be launch an amphibious landing on British, with 2 land units, 1 bomber and 6 fighters! And will more than likely to win.

So for scenario 1, the allies will for sure get no chance. So the game should simply forbide Germany to roll less than 3 dices for LDA in G1, because it will result in either a waste of German money or the allies will concede immediately. Or if Germany insist in strict OOB rule and his or her right to roll tech, just let him or her go and if he or she happen to succeed, it is not very difficult to reset the game. :-)

But scenario 2 is a strategy need more serious treating, because it is a scenario not based on exceesive luck, but on reasonable probability. It amounts Germany gets the tech for free (because it gets all British money), at the cost that Germany has only 10 IPC to this turns purchase. And in B1 and U1, the British and U.S. (if British fails) must try their best to liberate London. By this the German will be released from the western line for one or two turns, though Soviet will be relative aggresive for one more turn than German does not adopt this strategy.

• Customizer

This is one of the principle things that led to the LHTR; delaying the implementation of techs prevents the “Sealion” strategy.

• I have been playing the game for months but very new to the LHTR. I just downloaded the rule and it seems mostly the same as the OOB rule and I can not see the difference at a glance.

Could you kindly point me out what difference delays the implementation of operation “sealion”?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Well, some of the differences are really minor.  Things like Technologies taking effect at the end of your round instead of the start of your round and that you have to physically move your fighters to the sea zone you are building the carrier in to have them land on a newly built carrier.

For most of us it won’t change game play much, but it brings the rules into line to be a bit more fair to players who have not yet even had a turn to play.

The BIGGEST changes are to the National Advantages changing them from trump cards for the Allies to more even advantages between axis and allies.

• Or an even better solution – just get rid of tech altogether!  It just unbalances the game, mostly.

• 1.  Delayed tech is a big change, not ‘minor’ at all.

2.  Tech isn’t unbalancing.  A good part of the game is about taking risks.

Tech allows for more depth to the game.  The same old grind into the Pacific or northern Europe/Africa gets, well, old.

• @newpaintbrush:

1.  Delayed tech is a big change, not ‘minor’ at all.

Tech allows for more depth to the game.  The same old grind into the Pacific or northern Europe/Africa gets, well, old.

Those who complain about the dice being too big a factor in the outcome of A&A games should be the ones most against using tech.  Tech is pure, unadultered dumb luck and very little to do with skill.  If you get lucky and get the right tech, you have a big advantage over your opponents.  If you get bad luck, you get stuck with something useless or, worse yet, nothing at all for your trouble and IPCs spent.  Tech should have been eliminated when they came out with revised.  It did not work well in Classic (which is why NO ONE played tournaments with tech) and still sucks in Revised.  It sure hasn’t done you any good in our game, NPB.

• I think it still has a place, for FUN games.

But for League or Tournament play… no tech is the only way to play.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I always wondered what people had against tech?  Especially in league games.  One would think that is when tech SHOULD be allowed so as to be as close to out of the box as possible while still making it a fair game.

Honestly, I like tech AND national advantages.  Though, for tech I like the rules i read in a variant of the game:

You pay 20 IPC and get 4 rolls.  If you fail to get the one you want, you pay 10 IPC and get it automatically the next round.

• @Gamer:

@newpaintbrush:

1.  Delayed tech is a big change, not ‘minor’ at all.

Those who complain about the dice being too big a factor in the outcome of A&A games should be the ones most against using tech.  Tech is pure, unadultered dumb luck and very little to do with skill.  If you get lucky and get the right tech, you have a big advantage over your opponents.  If you get bad luck, you get stuck with something useless or, worse yet, nothing at all for your trouble and IPCs spent.  Tech should have been eliminated when they came out with revised.  It did not work well in Classic (which is why NO ONE played tournaments with tech) and still sucks in Revised.  It sure hasn’t done you any good in our game, NPB.

“Tech is pure, unadulterated dumb luck”

Guess what, so’s the whole damn game.  Which is not something you should be crying about in our current game, Gamer.  Hell, you should be damn happy about your luck.

As far as Classic, people didn’t do tech because of heavy bombers.  End of story.

Revised, tech doesn’t suck.  There are sucky people that don’t like it though.  :lol:

• Customizer

@Gamer:

You seem to have missed the bit in Revised where it says you can choose which tech to roll for, so it’s entirely your own fault if you get left with a useless tech.  I will only become a fan of techs when we get specific pieces to represent the new units, as I don’t like having to remember who has what.

• @Flashman:

@Gamer:

You seem to have missed the bit in Revised where it says you can choose which tech to roll for, so it’s entirely your own fault if you get left with a useless tech.  I will only become a fan of techs when we get specific pieces to represent the new units, as I don’t like having to remember who has what.

The usual way to mark techs is to place power markers on the tech research chart.

Of course, the power markers blend in with the chart . . .

I find it better in games that involve tech to put pennies on the ones that haven’t been researched.

• @Flashman:

@Gamer:

Whatever.  It’s STILL a question of dumb luck IF you get the tech.  There is absolutely no skill involved in rolling a “6”.

• Actually, I think you have to roll the number of the tech you are researching…

And with $30 bucks, the odds are rather good for a hit…

• Switch is right.  You have to declare the number you are rolling for.  You can’t just “hope” to roll a 2 or 6 just by throwing in a whole bunch of dice.

• @Gamer:

Whatever.  It’s STILL a question of dumb luck IF you get the tech.  There is absolutely no skill involved in rolling a “6”.

“Luck is just one of my many skills.” - Isamu, “Macross Plus”

• I think that playing with Low Luck dice and no tech the “whole damn game” is not at all dumb luck.

• :-o
      I agree.
        LL and no tech. removes a lot of variables that can sway the game drasticly. What remains is good strategies and sound play to win the day! Most of the time anyway. The die sever hates me anyway  :cry:
      Anybody up for a game!?
      C.I.  :roll:

• The problem is that if you chose to spend 20 IPC for 4 dices and you do not get the tech, the there are 20 IPC less to spend for units.
    And you still not have the tech, too much penalizing IMHO.

To make technolgies more interesting, for me, there should be the sureness to get the technolgy and the only random factor should be the turn when you get it.
    For example in A&A Revised Enhanced if you spend for at least 4 dices in a round, and you do not get the tech, then in the following round if you spend for at least for 2 dices you get automatically the tech in the deployment phase of that round (so that you are able to use it from that moment on).

I think that played in this way tech may become a real addition to the game strategy.

• @Romulus:

For example in A&A Revised Enhanced if you spend for at least 4 dices in a round, and you do not get the tech, then in the following round if you spend for at least for 2 dices you get automatically the tech in the deployment phase of that round (so that you are able to use it from that moment on).

I think that played in this way tech may become a real addition to the game strategy.

I too like how Enhanced treats tech rolls.  You can be risky and spend only $20 (66% odds) or guarentee the tech for $30.  Key is the $20 spent is not ‘lost’, but can carry over.  The only thing lost is the one round of tech if you miss.

Key also in this system is no cheap techs.  I can not spend $5 as germany and get rockets…. (minimum tech roll is 4 dice)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m