• Hello,

I’ve Been running this over in my mind the past few days, is it ever worth it for Germany to prevent a Taranto raid? Assist more in the Med with air power?
    I know Germany needs plains to take out the British royal navy in the North Sea and English Channel, but is it worth it for Germany to maybe divert some air power towards the French fleet?

I’m thinking on better strategies for the Italy, possibly allowing Italy to take Yugoslavia and Bulgaria to increase its IPC share, in addition to South of France, and Gibraltar for control of the Med.

In a recent game, Italy did preformed very well. As usual Italy did lose her fleet, as did England lose significant naval assets. But Italy was able to take Egypt and Alexandria the turn after England built a factory there on UK1. To hold it, Germany landed five planes there until Italy could build ground units on par with England’s in South Africa. The savannahs and jungles stretching the length of Africa from the Sudan to South Africa were in open play, and Italy was on the gates of Persia having liberated Iraq. Earlier, Germany aloud Italy the South of France, Bulgaria, and Greece.

This held until America landed in Gibraltar, changed things up a bit. Thankfully, Germany was on the brink of an Axis victory with city victory win conditions.

But I kept thinking how we could have improved more, and I believe that a possible strategy is for German air power to aid more in the Med by taking out French assets, possibly going after the British fleet in the eastern Med? What are the pros and cons here? I feel Italy could have done better had they been able to keep more of their capital ships. After the first round, by near attrition, it seems the med was nearly devoid of any shipping.

Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Hi Cadwaladr,

You’re in the wrong forum! Try the forum for Global 1940 – you’ll find lots of good threads there about Italian strategy. This forum is about 1942 Second Edition, which doesn’t even have a separate Italian player.

Cheers,
    Argo

• '17 '16

To be fair, I only play 1941 and 1942SE, but I did buy Italian units to mix-in with my 1942 German units to represent the Italians… lolz.

• Thank you for that catch in the wrong forums! *doh!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m