Obama, FOCA, Catholic hospitals and abortion

• is it true that the 30 % of USA hospitals is ˝catholic˝

i found this information odd, but still i checked it and it stands

can you please tell me more about this issue ˝from the first hand˝ since you all live in USA

and please try to avoid politics so we dont get the topic closed

cheers
    Amon

• It has been my experience with my local “Catholic hospital” that the hospital is not owned by the Catholic church just its by-law writers, founder(s), board of directors, etc. may all be Catholic, but the hospital itself does not have an endorsement.

It’s no different then if you and started a construction company and called it “Christian Brothers Construction.” We may both be Christian but our company in not necessarily endorsed by a religious sect.

However, this isn’t always the case there are several Catholic owned hospitals in the US.  They function very similar to some Catholic schools.  They still have a board of directors who appoints a CEO and other positions as outlined in there by-laws.

With the way tax laws are in the US being owned and supported by a religious sect they may now receive governmental funding (not that others can’t they just have a lot less hoops to jump through).

The local governments would rather not have to support their own hospital so it’s easier to make a deal with a local group to shoulder the responsibility of day-to-day functions in exchange for so many dollars per year.

I’m sure others may disagree this is just my very limited observations as an emergency responder.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If the hospital is owned by a Catholic (or Lutheran, Protestant, Muslim, Jewish, whatever) church, then it is government exempt and can pretty much chose to do anything it wants until such time as a national health care policy is created and all ownership of hospitals is ceased as assets are seized by the government.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m