Legal Carrier/Fighter movement clarification

• Humor me with this somewhat implausible scenario, the game I’m playing is slightly unorthodox:
    There are two aircraft carriers with a fighter and tact bomber each respectively, one in SZ 91 and another in SZ 110. Both UK and Gibraltar being held means both carriers can move 3 spaces. All of the Americas are hostile/neutral, no safe landing spot anywhere on the continents

A tact bomber on SZ 91 moves two spaces to SZ 86 to kill a lone transport, while its aircraft carrier moves to 101 for naval combat, and a fighter from 91 moves 3 spaces to 106 for naval combat.

Both aircraft from SZ 110 moves four spaces to join the naval battle, the carrier in 110 would move in non combat.

Both aircraft in 101 has a possible landing spot in 110. But the fighter in 106 can only move 1 space to either 101 or 102, while the tact bomber in 86 can move two spaces to as far as 90 or 91. The aircraft carrier in 110 can possibly move to 102, 90, or 91, but can only pick up one of these planes. Based on my understanding of the rules, so long as it is possible to have the aircraft land safely, it is legal. But an argument arose as to whether it was legal as to whether or not the aircraft needed a guaranteed landing space or a possible landing space to count as legal, because the aircraft carrier can only be at one place at a time, able to pick up either theoretically but realistically unable to pick up both

Thankfully the fighter in 106 died in combat, so I know I’ll be moving the 110 carrier south to pick up the tact bomber. But it’s still being debated. The game is on hold till tomorrow for now, so I thought I’d ask the forum.

• @Altoriax

Dang. I never thought of this before.

Hopefully pinging @Krieghund @Panther will allow them to respond sooner.

If you want my very unprofessional opinion, I would say your moves aren’t legal and you’ll need a guaranteed landing spot. I might be totally wrong though.

• Official Q&A

@Altoriax It’s not legal. For the purpose of determining whether or not an air unit can have a possible landing space, you can assume that you’ll roll all hits and the enemy will roll all misses, but you cannot assume that a carrier can be in two places at the same time. While the former is certainly possible, the latter is not.

• Will do, thank you for the feedback d(>_< )

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m