(In depth poll) IF the Iraq war ever succeeds…

• Will it still have been worth it?

By succeeds, I mean Iraq has a working representative govt., the insurgency is a non-factor, and our troop strength is comparable to what we have in Germany. Let’s also assume a timeframe of 5 years, a cost of $500 billion, 4,000 soldiers dead + 30,000 wounded, and 30,000 dead Iraqi civilians.

• At this point, I think we’ve passed the point of no return. Even if it all works out, it was too much to spend, and too many people had to die to make it work.

• a timeframe of 5 years, a cost of $500 billion, 4,000 soldiers dead + 30,000 wounded, and 30,000 dead Iraqi civilians.

Some things are worth more than any amount of money or lives. Should Iraq become a truely free nation as a result of the intervention by the US, UK, and others, then I say yes it was worth it.

• me too!

This is a stupid question to begin with.

Was the American Revolution worth it? Think of all the money and lives that cost. Without the help of the French we may not have won that.
    That’s no different then US helping the Iraqis.

Was WW2 worth it? Think of all the destruction that caused.

You can’t place “value” on some things. It’s absurd.

221B is right on.

At this point, I think we’ve passed the point of no return. Even if it all works out, it was too much to spend, and too many people had to die to make it work.

So, what’s your price for the chance to be free?
    $1.50? $10? 1 Million??? 1 billion???

Or what is the going rate now a days to help people???

It is clear you’ve already made up your mind, you were/are against the war so obviously nothing can be done in your mind to accept it. You flat out said you already think it wasn’t worth it.

The truth is this war already was worth it and has paid huge dividends it the war on terror, but your hatred for Bush has blinded you.

We are clearly winning and crushing these terrorists.

Gee, what a shocker the terrorists are NOW killing Sunni’s as well becasue a deal was reached on the Constitution, and trying to intimidate them.
    So much for only attacking the Shiites in hopes of starting a Civil War. the terrorists are desperate cause they are getting their asses kicked.

Free/Even a remotely Democratic Iraq you bet your ass it was worth it.

• Was the American Revolution worth it? Think of all the money and lives that cost. Without the help of the French we may not have won that.
    That’s no different then US helping the Iraqis.

Was WW2 worth it? Think of all the destruction that caused. [/qoute]

Apples and oranges here: In one case we have 250 years of hindsight, (as well as the fact we begged the French to help us) and in the other, we were attacked by a country that was gobbling up the Pacific, and another country that had already conquered all of Europe and half of Russia had just declared war on us.

Even if Iraq succceds in five years, it may fail utterly in ten (e.g., backslide into civil war, draw us into a war vs. Iran, etc.).

You can’t place “value” on some things. It’s absurd.

Everything has a value, even human life. Elementary economics. This is why we don’t spend $100 billion researching a cure for a disease 5 people have, while we DO spend billions resarching cures for AIDS and treatments for various cancers. When you have a scarcity of resources, like we do on this planet, EVERYTHING has a cost/benefit analysis assosciated with it.

But back to the point at hand, How much is too much? Will Iraq have been worth it if it costs 1 trillion? 2 trillion? 4 trillion? How many lives? 4,000? 8,000? 16,000? Eventually you reach a point where you bankrupt yourself and wreck your armed forces. I will submit, probably without argument, that if we KNEW it would take ten years, 50,000 casualties and 4 trillion dollars to “win” in Iraq, the public would demand an immediate pullout. There’s no way we’re going to bankrupt ourselves for some country in the Middle East.

So, what’s your price for the chance to be free?
    $1.50? $10? 1 Million??? 1 billion???

So you would spend a billion a person in your pursuit of freedom? Do you see the absurdity of this?

Or what is the going rate now a days to help people???

Obviuisly, less than what you think it is. We don’t have unlimited resources to change every govt in the world that is mean to its people.

It is clear you’ve already made up your mind, you were/are against the war so obviously nothing can be done in your mind to accept it. You flat out said you already think it wasn’t worth it.

The truth is this war already was worth it and has paid huge dividends it the war on terror, but your hatred for Bush has blinded you.

We are clearly winning and crushing these terrorists.

What are these dividends? If we’re clearly winning, why has the number of independent Iraqi combat battalions dropped (to one), the number of Americans killed each month stayed the same (actually gone up a bit), and the suicide bombings just as deadly?

• Yeah, we should have built a time machine to send covert op assasins to get OBL, SH, the ayatohlla, Castro, Chavez, etc. Killl their parents. Then install someone western to run those oil rich countries for 1000 years.

Even if Iraq succceds in five years, it may fail utterly in ten (e.g., backslide into civil war, draw us into a war vs. Iran, etc.).

But any failure in the future would not have been the fault of the US.

IE, was it the fault of France or whoever that we had our Civil War? No we had our ouwn issues to deal. BUT that doesn’t suggest our Revoluion wasn’t worth it.

Everything has a value, even human life. Elementary economics. This is why we don’t spend $100 billion researching a cure for a disease 5 people have, while we DO spend billions resarching cures for AIDS and treatments for various cancers. When you have a scarcity of resources, like we do on this planet, EVERYTHING has a cost/benefit analysis assosciated with it.

You misunderstood what I was saying.
    You can’t place a value on somethings because some things are “invaluable”.
    Photos of your family are worthless, yet family photo albums are the first things people save in fires. Why??? They have no “market value”. It is because they hold meaning to the owners.
    You can not put a price on that, and you can’t put a price on freedom. You also can not put a price on right and wrong.
    There are MANY things you cannot put a value on.

But back to the point at hand, How much is too much?

There is no price for doing the right thing.

I will submit, probably without argument, that if we KNEW it would take ten years, 50,000 casualties and 4 trillion dollars to “win” in Iraq, the public would demand an immediate pullout. There’s no way we’re going to bankrupt ourselves for some country in the Middle East.

Wrong.
    You fail to acknowledge the big picture. I’ll get to this later.

So you would spend a billion a person in your pursuit of freedom? Do you see the absurdity of this?

PRICELESS. Not everything is dollars and cents. :D An that comes from a Republican. :D

Obviuisly, less than what you think it is. We don’t have unlimited resources to change every govt in the world that is mean to its people.

Then why bother to even try and help the poor??? We can’t feed everyone. Why should the gov spend money on Education??? we can’t educate everyone. Why try to even Cure diseases??? we cant cure everyone, Etc.

You do what you can and everyone pitches in.

Come on!!! I thought Liberals were the compasionate ones.

Okay, now to get back to the other topic, the big picture.

You fail to see that this war has been coming for a long time, and that Iraq is a battle in the War on Terror. If we weren’t in Iraq, we’d be fighting these thugs in Afghan or some other place.

They declared war on us (the West) in the 90’s. They weren’t going to just give up on their own.

Terrorists can always come up with some bogus reason to kill. Remember Sept 11 happened before we removed Saddam, same with the Cole, same with the Marine barracks in the early 80’s. what about the 1972 Munich games???

This is WW3. They wish to establish an Islamic Fascist Empire from the Med all the way to SE Asia and we must do whatever we have to to stop them.

This was explicitly stated in a Zarwahi (sp???) letter. Surely you must have seen this.

You seperate Iraq from the War on Terror, where in reality it is essential to it and just the most recent front.

What are these dividends?

Removal of Saddam
    Removal of his Sons
    Elections in Afghan
    Elections in Iraq
    Elections in Palastine
    Israel out of Gaza
    Elections in Egy
    Libya gives up its WMD program
    Syria out of Lebenon
    Pakistan has become a good ally on terror
    Several head terror leaders have been killed or captured
    Etc,

EDIT:

I didn’t want to delete it, but to help out Mary I put everything in Red that Mary can feel free to ignore as I don’t see it is really significant to my point yet something she focused on. I’m not writer so, sometimes stuff may not come across right. But the Stuff in Red is “striken from the record.” :D

• In your post, you fail to grasp the concept of cost/benefit analysis. You use familiy photos as an example of something whose value cannot be measured. This is wrong. YOU may consider family photos “without value”, but if it came down to a choice between saving a photo album or an uninsured briefcase full of $1,000,000, a tough decision would have to be made, and I think most would pick the cash.

Everything has a measured value, every action has a cost and benefit associated with it. Until you understand this, we can’t really talk about whether Iraq was “worth it”.

• We are playing a game with the terrorist IMO. I think they have Chem/Bio weapons. They don’t want to use them because they fear the response from the west.

In reverse, we are not doing the things that would ensure a victory over Terrorism. If we used Nazi Germany forms of “control” over occupied territories there would be no more car bombings and what not. You can point to the partisans in WW2 as fighting the Germans but they were only able to do that because the vast bulk of the German army was fighting the regular war. If it wasn’t, the partisans would have been crushed very quickly.

The problem is escalation on both sides. If we invade and defeat every country in the middle east, and use VERY heavy handed means of control we force the terrorist into a corner and you will see them use all means at thier disposal.

Likewise if the terrorist fly a plane into a nuclear reactor in the US killing 10s or 100s of thousands of Americans. They know there will be nothing left of the middle east when we are done.

Our government is looking at this in a long term way, the same way we defeated the USSR.

• Zooey72:

Our government is looking at this in a long term way, the same way we defeated the USSR.

I think you are on to something here. There is no doubt that the actions in Iraq, while perhaps encouraging more terrorists on the local level (i.e. a few more Saudi citizens get involved) also greatly discourage the support of middle eastern governments. Witness for example Lybia giving up its WMD program, or the events in Lebanon. And how about the invaluable help Pakistan provides?

A few additional terrorists for AQ doesn’t change the equation much - there is really nothing these individuals can add to AQ’s arsenal. However governmental bodies could potentially give AQ greatly helpful things:

1. A safe base of operations for training, planning, etc. For example, Afganistan prior to 911. This is invaluable to AQ and cannot be overstated for many reasons both obvious and not so obvious.

2. Assistance with WMD’s. There is no real evidence that this happened, but certainly no country would want to be identified by chemical markers or the like. Really, I would be surprised if AQ didn’t have WMD’s. A Japanese terrorist group used them in the 90’s (Sarin gas) in a subway.

3. Actions by this nation can be taken at the UN. For example, if that nation happened to be on the security council (non-permanent members rotate seats), they can veto necessary UN actions - effectively paralyzing the UN and making unilateral actions, as we have seen, much more difficult. Also, imagine the intellegence bonaza for AQ here!

I could continue, but to be brief I’ll go to my last point. A sucessful Iraq will show ordinary people in the middle east that it is posible for them to fight against terrorists. Too many are basically held hostage out of fear of reprisal. This should not be so – or would anyone rather we were all giving kickbacks and favors to the local mob boss? An unsuccessful Iraq doesn’t change the current status.

@Mary:

In your post, you fail to grasp the concept of cost/benefit analysis. You use familiy photos as an example of something whose value cannot be measured. This is wrong. YOU may consider family photos “without value”, but if it came down to a choice between saving a photo album or an uninsured briefcase full of $1,000,000, a tough decision would have to be made, and I think most would pick the cash.

Everything has a measured value, every action has a cost and benefit associated with it. Until you understand this, we can’t really talk about whether Iraq was “worth it”.

LOL! :lol:
    Pathetic. You are so out of your league.
    Just cause someone isn’t going to let you get away with your propaganda.

I nuked your entire argument and you go an quit. Don’t make posts if you can’t defend your position.

I listed about ten things (that you demanded to see) that already showed why the war in Iraq is worth it, and you focus on a hypothetical about photos.
    I can’t imagine any moron having $1,000,000 in a briefcase in their house. Maybe mobsters or drug dealers. Lol!!!
    Way to post something of value. :roll:

Why even respond to me if “I can’t reach your almightly level of thinking”.
    You posted that as a shot at me, and a way to try and back out of a thread you created where you are are getting owned.
    No, you need to try and save some face.

Fine, focus on stupid hypotheticals, that is the last baston of Liberals. When you are destroyed by the facts, you pick out a few lines of something that is relatively meaningless in my overall point and try to bow out. Hahahahhahaha!

Fine, I’ll even remove that from my post. I’ll even say you’re right if that makes you happy. Hey everyone Mary is right. WooHoo!
    But that doesn’t change a thing.

There are still tons of dividends, even more than I already listed.

Shall I go on…

(List con’t)
    Reforms in SA
    Strategic position against Iran
    Greater experience in urban warfare
    Women rights gradually improving in several areas where they were treated as second class citizens. (not perfect, but getting better, and will continue to get better)
    Arab countries actually not threatenening Israel (not perfect yet but getting better with better possible diplomatic relations)
    Arab countries actually speaking out PUBLICALLY against terrorism
    Arab countries helping to round up terrorists
    2/3 of Al Qeda killed or captured
    UBL marginalized
    When we say “serious consequences” we mean “serious consequences”
    Etc.

Oh, but I’m sure you’ll focus on some speeling error or something, and say “until you spell everything right, I’m not going to respond…”

LOL!

• Like I said, there’s really nothing of value in what you posted, so no in-depth reply from me. If you get some ego-boost out of thinking you “owned” me, enjoy it while it lasts.

• @DarthMaximus:

What are these dividends?

Removal of Saddam

supposedly this is a bonus. You have predicted a better long-term scenario without considering that an action other than invasion may have produced similar results (i.e. a Saddam without teeth). In the meantime, we have seen the results of free elections in Iran and they were exactly what the US was afraid of (i.e. a very conservative gov’t). Now i can’t/won’t predict what the new gov’t of Iran will be capable of, but why is it the Bush thinks he can predict the long-term outcome of exchanging SH for some other when he could not even predict the insurgency that he is bogged down in?

Removal of his Sons

They could have been assassinated, waited out, and a billion other scenarios. This is terrible justification for invasion of a country.

Elections in Afghan

provided by your friendly neighbourhood Canadians/French/German/Belgian etc. troops. Your welcome.

Elections in Iraq

Why was it that when Greece, Chile, etc. have “Elections” and the people choose a sociallist gov’t, the US gov’t feels that this was not appropriate and needs to instigate a bloody coup to undo the elections they supposedly promote? I really don’t buy this as being a reason. Not unless Iraqi’s elect a communist gov’t and the US supports it.

Elections in Palastine

this is new?

Israel out of Gaza

Israel pulled out of Gaza as a result of its allies invading Iraq? The US couldn’t have just said “please”? Well, i guess if they need the destruction of >1% of the civilian population of some other country to do the right thing, then i guess it was necessary . . . :roll:

Elections in Egy

how is this related?

Libya gives up its WMD program

i’ll grant you that this would have been much more likely to have happened if the US actually invaded a country that announced that they HAD a nuclear/WMD program (Libya, NK etc.) rather than the once country that weapons inspectors cleared of having WMDs . . . .

Syria out of Lebenon

this couldn’t have resulted from Afghanistan?

Pakistan has become a good ally on terror

echo above.
    Unrelated to Iraq IMO. If anything the invasion would have made it more difficult for nationas to assist the US. Or is this just a different kind of terrorism? (“do what we wish or we will invade you”)

Several head terror leaders have been killed or captured

Yeah - in Afghanistan, Pakistan . . . . If Iraq hadn’t been invaded you believe that they would have gone into Iraq anyway?

Etc,

well, this is true . . . .

• I think you are on to something here. There is no doubt that the actions in Iraq, while perhaps encouraging more terrorists on the local level (i.e. a few more Saudi citizens get involved) also greatly discourage the support of middle eastern governments. Witness for example Lybia giving up its WMD program, or the events in Lebanon. And how about the invaluable help Pakistan provides?

Pakistan got on board with our action in Afghanistan. If anything, Iraq has alienated the population of Pakistan (which never really liked us anyway) even more so. Musharaff may support us, but sooner or later he’ll be gone. I’ll bet you when he’s replaced, his successor won’t be so accomodating. And how much are Syria and Iran influencing events over in Iraq? It’s in both countries best interests to see us slowly bleed ourselves in Iraq.

A few additional terrorists for AQ doesn’t change the equation much - there is really nothing these individuals can add to AQ’s arsenal. However governmental bodies could potentially give AQ greatly helpful things:

1. A safe base of operations for training, planning, etc. For example, Afganistan prior to 911. This is invaluable to AQ and cannot be overstated for many reasons both obvious and not so obvious.

According to the CIA, Iraq is turning into a training ground for terrorists. They come over, join the insurgency, and learn all the in’s and out’s. Instead of multiple training camps in Afghanistan, we’ve turned Iraq into one large training camp. I can’t really see this as a benefit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A7460-2005Jan13?language=printer

"Iraq has replaced Afghanistan as the training ground for the next generation of “professionalized” terrorists, according to a report released yesterday by the National Intelligence Council, the CIA director’s think tank.

Iraq provides terrorists with “a training ground, a recruitment ground, the opportunity for enhancing technical skills,” said David B. Low, the national intelligence officer for transnational threats. “There is even, under the best scenario, over time, the likelihood that some of the jihadists who are not killed there will, in a sense, go home, wherever home is, and will therefore disperse to various other countries.”

Lastly, Iraq never financed Al Queda (or if they did, they covered their tracks pretty well). Saddam was a threat to Israel, but seemed to have ignored groups like Al Queda. Before the invasion, there was an NIE report that stated “Baghdad for now appears to be drawing a line short of conducting terrorist attacks with conventional or CBW against the United States, fearing that exposure of Iraqi involvement would provide Washington a stronger cause for making war.”

http://www.cia.gov/nic/special_keyjudgements.html

It seems very odd to invade a country that the CIA figured was probably too afraid of us to actually attack us. I would think, as a rule of thumb, you should only preemptively attack someone whom you BELIEVE will eventually attack you.

I could continue, but to be brief I’ll go to my last point. A sucessful Iraq will show ordinary people in the middle east that it is posible for them to fight against terrorists. Too many are basically held hostage out of fear of reprisal. This should not be so – or would anyone rather we were all giving kickbacks and favors to the local mob boss? An unsuccessful Iraq doesn’t change the current status.

I would agree with you here, but even if we cobble together some type of represntative govt. (which is still going to defer to Islam as the supreme law of the land), I think having 130,000 troops in Iraq might be a necessary condition for its survival for many years. How long can we keep that up?

• Mary’s posts resonate with a lot of the pre-WWII rhetoric in support of PM Neville Chamberlain.

You know, the one who loved and trusted Germans so much that, he strangled military spending to the point where Hitler had a 3:1 air advantage vs GBR by the time Poland was sacked. Churchill was able to win the PM from the fascist sympathisers after the failed Norway campaign. Much could have been done to limit the suffering of Czechs, and German speaking Jews during Neville’s term of office.

This would have been Churchill’s depiction of Neville:
    “oh my, bombers and battleships cost too much!!! I want to spend those billions for my domesic programs! Hitler already shook hands with me about having only continental ambitions, so we’re all cool about that. Why build bombers in the first place? They are only to used in war and I just got our nation out of another one.”

Very true Linkon.

They could have been assassinated, waited out, and a billion other scenarios. This is terrible justification for invasion of a country.

I didn’t use it as a justification for war, it was an added benefit, “a dividend” of results of the war.

MAYBE Saddam would have been a good little boy if we never invaded, but then again his sons were equally as ruthless. With that family running the country they were going to be a problem for another 30-40 years at least.

provided by your friendly neighbourhood Canadians/French/German/Belgian etc. troops. Your welcome.

I never criticized the help of other nations in regards to Afghan. I never criticised nations that help us in Iraq. I’m weary of a few that were against the war (oil-for-food payoffs???), but NEVER criticised those that help and continue to help in Afghan.

Why was it that when Greece, Chile, etc. have “Elections” and the people choose a sociallist gov’t, the US gov’t feels that this was not appropriate and needs to instigate a bloody coup to undo the elections they supposedly promote? I really don’t buy this as being a reason. Not unless Iraqi’s elect a communist gov’t and the US supports it.

They don’t support the blowing up of civilians while they are going to church, school, or the market.

You want to elect a Socialist or Communist gov’t fine go ahead, I don’t care. But don’t threaten the US, call us the Infidels and start killing our civilians with suicide bombs or airplanes or truck bombs.

Israel pulled out of Gaza as a result of its allies invading Iraq? The US couldn’t have just said “please”? Well, i guess if they need the destruction of >1% of the civilian population of some other country to do the right thing, then i guess it was necessary

Yes, Israel can take comfort in the fact that Iraq will not be a threat to them. Thus a preceived sign of weakness (pulling out) will not be capitalized on by thug dictactor who uses it to say “hey keep bombing Israel they will continue to retreat”. Saddam funded Hamas and suicide bombers against Israel.

Having 100,000 US troops in the region is certainly comforting to Israel IMO.

how is this related?

It resonates with the people all across the region.
    Imagine if you’re an Egyptian,
    You see elections in Afghan and Iraq (held by muslims, run by muslims, with muslims winning as a result of the people)
    How long before you say, “hey why can’t we have elections”?

I think the rest all fall under Iraq is part of the war on terror, not seperate from it.
    You believe it could have been handled diplomatically (at least in Iraq)
    I just don’t think we would have gotten anything more than lip service.
    From the end of the First gulf war till 2003 Saddam played games, now Iran and NK are playing the same games.
    I can’t understand why people would want to trust Saddam to “finally” live up to his end. I fail to see why all of a sudden his “I’ll let in unfettered inspections” is credible.
    You can’t threaten “serious consequences” and not back it up, otherwise that makes things much much much worse in not only that country but several other countries. IE the US and UN become a paper tiger, all talk no action, etc.
    Saddam had his chances.

He chose…poorly.

• @Linkon:

Mary’s posts resonate with a lot of the pre-WWII rhetoric in support of PM Neville Chamberlain.

You know, the one who loved and trusted Germans so much that, he strangled military spending to the point where Hitler had a 3:1 air advantage vs GBR by the time Poland was sacked. Churchill was able to win the PM from the fascist sympathisers after the failed Norway campaign. Much could have been done to limit the suffering of Czechs, and German speaking Jews during Neville’s term of office.

This would have been Churchill’s depiction of Neville:
    “oh my, bombers and battleships cost too much!!! I want to spend those billions for my domesic programs! Hitler already shook hands with me about having only continental ambitions, so we’re all cool about that. Why build bombers in the first place? They are only to used in war and I just got our nation out of another one.”

You seem to be saying that unless we invaded Iraq, they would have eventually taken over the entire Middle East? Do you not understand Iraq was technologically backwards, crippled by sanctions, hemmed in by a ring of more powerful nations, and constantly monitored by the U.S.?

I wish you guys would understand that opposing the Iraq invasion does not = pacifism. I was supportive of the first Persian Gulf war. It was a very effective UN operation that cost us little, garnered us prestige, and stopped a greedy grab for land. Somehow, I doubt Chamberlain would have supported PG1. But go on, keep telling yourself that the majority of the public (which opposes Iraq) are a bunch of pacifists.

• majority of the public (which opposes Iraq) are a bunch of pacifists!

Iraq was able to attack her neighbors and had the resources for limited offensive operations. She was stronger than all the nations arond her sake Saudi Arabia which has our boys defending since the last threat. The second invasion was not about any threats of invasion. It was about the continued ignorance of UN sanctions that were violated way too many times to even count. As a result we compile that Iraq was flexing her wings a bit too much and not following what she agreed and signedunder the UN security agreement for the region. This outward demonstration of defiance could not be accepted and History has proven with many examples that the “little conquests” only lead to more daring and COSTLY activities latter with our money and lives, because after all as an" Imperialist Bush state it is our duty under God to enforce the law, because we are the law."

“One nation ,One people, One president!”
    George Bush at the his acceptance speech 2004.
    (sources moveon.org and ideasthatcamefromberkely.org)

• Your sig is very appropriate, IL.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m