• Hey guys, trying to get a handle on this. I called WOTC & they’re clueless!
    I originally purchased AA40P, then AA40E, all in the 1st-ED.  Now I’m playing the global. I noted the global rule changes in the back of AA40E rulebook for playing Global.

But then I saw some cool charts for set-up & production, but they were marked “Alpha +2 for global”, not the same set-up as the Original 1st-ed game. Then I saw 2nd-ed rules on the site, so I downloaded them, but not the same when combined with the Orig, game & the Alpha+2 charts.  Now I see Alpha+3  & +3.9 game aids on the site, there more different even yet!  & I get that there’s updates on the site that may not be in print yet, but then the 2ed rules I downloaded look like the Alpha+2 charts, with some variations.

I noted that AA40P-1e came out in 2009, AA40E-1e came out in 2010, Alpha+2 was posted in Sept 2011, The AA40G-2e rules posted 2012, & now alpha+3 & 3.9 are on the site.

So my question here is that–-what rules & players aides should I be using for the global game together to get the latest updates for playing AA40G so that I’m not using a mix of the wrong rules & aides?

Ie; the last game I played I used the 2ed rule book w/the Alpha+2 aides & NO/NA’s & realized after the game that I combined too much on set up for Russia!  I added the adtl Russian pieces to the 3-territories by Mongolia, like the set up chart Showed.  Then I read the 2ed rule book & added an adtl 6-inf to each.  Thereby actually double stacking them.  So let me tell you–it was a hell of a fight for the Japs to overcome, even though they eventually did, but @ a high cost in units.  Obviously my mistake in understanding the set-up, but in using 2-different rules/guides.

So I really need to know what do I use with what to get the latest update in rules combined with player aides to play the game properly    :|

• Use 2nd edition setup and the 3.9 player aides(if you want them, not necessary to play)

The Alpha setups were for playtesting… have now morphed into 2nd edition.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Use the second edition rules and setup.  You can download them here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=28703.0

Here’s the history in case you care.  What happened was they released the first editions of 1940 Europe and Pacific a few years ago but then people immediately figured out that if you put those 2 together to make the global game it was hopelessly screwed up.  So for the next 2+ years all the experts played and played and talked and talked and talked and the company every so often put out new versions of the rules and setup that were called alpha 1, alpha 2, and so on until FINALLY they released the second edition, which is just about perfect.

• Basic evolution:

1st Edition > Alpha+1 > Alpha+2 > Alpha+3 > Alpha+3.9 > 2nd Edition

Naturally there were probably a fair few iterations between those, but that is the general direction of what went down.

• Sponsor

@elzario:

Basic evolution:

1st Edition > Alpha+1 > Alpha+2 > Alpha+3 > Alpha+3.9 > 2nd Edition

Naturally there were probably a fair few iterations between those, but that is the general direction of what went down.

1st Edition in this equation was also known as OOB (out of box).

• @variance:

Use the second edition rules and setup.  You can download them here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=28703.0

Here’s the history in case you care.  What happened was they released the first editions of 1940 Europe and Pacific a few years ago but then people immediately figured out that if you put those 2 together to make the global game it was hopelessly screwed up.  So for the next 2+ years all the experts played and played and talked and talked and talked and the company every so often put out new versions of the rules and setup that were called alpha 1, alpha 2, and so on until FINALLY they released the second edition, which is just about perfect.

"Thanx for the input, much easier to understand now  :-)  So I’ll use 2ed rules, but some of the player aides & charts for +3 & +3.9 look like an easier read & are cool.  So I’ll compare them to the 2ed rules & set-ups & should be able to use those ok.  Thanx again.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m