• Hi, just a question here:

My friends and I never invest in weapons development. It’s not a house rule,  it seems like money you’ve could spent better…

What are the arguments for investing in R&D in A&A? And what would you reccomend if you’re gonna do so?

• Uhh, you can get better stuff?  R&D is too finicky imo.  Make it Low Luck or tokens.

• Customizer

Yeah, my group rarely invest in weapons development either, and we still use the research tokens from Anniversary.  While some of those items could be a real benefit in some battles, it’s still pretty risky and there is no promise that you will get the weapon you really need.  Say you are Germany and you are busy terrorizing the Atlantic with your subs.  You could really use Super Submarines but you roll and end up getting something like Radar.

Plus, it’s like soldaatvanorange mentioned, often times that research money could better be spent elsewhere.

• In my opinion it just isn’t worth it when you have so little of a chance of getting technology that you could really use.

• We play a variant of the Anniversary Edition rules…

1 - You buy a token.  If you don’t hit, you can role it until you do.
    2 - When you do hit, You pick which chart you want to use.
    3 - If you do NOT like what was rolled, you may pass until the next turn and role the choice again.  However, you HAVE to take it this time.

Better chances of getting something useful.

• @docfav7:

We play a variant of the Anniversary Edition rules…

3 - If you do NOT like what was rolled, you may pass until the next turn and role the choice again.  However, you HAVE to take it this time.

You could also do it where if you don’t like what you hit, you can keep your tokens and soldier on.

• Customizer

@Zallomallo:

@docfav7:

We play a variant of the Anniversary Edition rules…

You could also do it where if you don’t like what you hit, you can keep your tokens and soldier on.

Hey, I kind of like these ideas.  I usually play Germany and if I do roll for Techs, I hate it when I need Advanced Artillery or Improved Mechs and end up getting something like Paratroopers or War Bonds.  Being able to pass on that tech and keep your tokens for trying again next round is pretty cool.  I would much rather do without a bad tech for another round with hoped of getting what I need the next round.

• hey war bonds are very useful. as for paratroopers i agree their only good for the allies

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I was in a group game, where we were winning, and my “allied” UK partner, got wiped from the game, after the germans rolled a last ditch fluke shot on Paratroopers, and took the London Capital.

It was all downhill from there, as no one was in range of taking it back immediately (Blocked)  and he was able to build off of U.K.

• @Gargantua:

I was in a group game, where we were winning, and my “allied” UK partner, got wiped from the game, after the germans rolled a last ditch fluke shot on Paratroopers, and took the London Capital.

It was all downhill from there, as no one was in range of taking it back immediately (Blocked)  and he was able to build off of U.K.

But would you say that this actually enhanced the gaming experience?

This is exactly the reason I don’t like the R&D rules, it is a bit too much based on luck and once earned changes the entire (delicate) balance of the game.

I hear this from the previous posts, though I would be very interested in how and why R&D deserves a place in the game based on long-term strategies…

(I can remember from the original setup it made strategic sence to invest in developments, but the game back then was less complicated and less delicately balanced)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m