New Players Have Much More to Learn Than When I Started

• I have been playing since the only option was A&A classic. I agree that the best games to get people started with are Europe or Pacific or Anniversary. The 1940 games are just too much for a first timer, you don’t want them to drown in procedure so they won’t have any fun with the game.

• I have also been at it since the late 80s….God, I am a geezer!  The new games are much more complicated and do lead to more questions.  Sites like this really help grow a hobby.  Before the internet, I might have gone months or longer not knowing about a release!

• '22 '19 '18

@Plasticdeathbydice:

Been at it since '86 baby!  Shogun and Fortress America sure let everyone down after tasting Axis & Allies……

Good ol’ Fortress America, I just played a game of that last night.  It was fun, but nothing like A&A.  Been at it since '88 and I am
    going to attempt the impossible by bringing in a first time player to our G40 game night.  He will be on my side, since I have the most
    experience of my game group hopefully I can help him get the game without being the puppet master.

Any suggestions for getting him up to speed?

• @cond1024:

@Plasticdeathbydice:

Been at it since '86 baby!  Shogun and Fortress America sure let everyone down after tasting Axis & Allies……

Good ol’ Fortress America, I just played a game of that last night.  It was fun, but nothing like A&A.  Been at it since '88 and I am
    going to attempt the impossible by bringing in a first time player to our G40 game night.  He will be on my side, since I have the most
    experience of my game group hopefully I can help him get the game without being the puppet master.

Any suggestions for getting him up to speed?

If you’re axis, have him play Italy. If you’re allies, have him play France/ANZAC/China

• Lol. I almost forgot about fortress america and shogun. Both are games i like. Zhogun must be played with an agressive group though or else its alot of trying not to eliminate anyone too early.

I usually put the new person on the stronger team in Anniversary or Revised. Agreed Italy is a good option.

• I always start my new recruits with D-Day. It’s the easiest to get down the basic concepts of combat and movement there. Once they’re ready, they upgrade to either Russia in Revised (it’s simple to focus soley on land units) or ANZAC/China in Pacific (if they’re up for a challence). I’ve got a pretty effective factory, and I can churn out new gamers by the tens  :-)

• Games with minor powers are the best to bring new players into because they won’t have a large effect on the outcome. If a new player played global they should play ANZAC because they probably won’t effect the result a lot as they only have 1 VC. A new player shouldn’t play the Axis in global because the axis only have three powers and need experienced players to have a good game. Playing a major ally power shouldn’t be considered as they are the same as the Axis powers and need to be played by an experienced players. France shouldn’t be considered as their capital will be captured on G1 and being defeated quickly wouldn’t be good for a new player and may turn them of A&A forever. China shouldn’t be considered as they don’t follow the normal placement rules and can only buy 1 type of unit (Two with control of Burma road). Anzac follow normal placement rules, won’t be eliminated quickly and won’t have a major effect on the outcome they also have the need for all three types of unit to be successful and is probably the best choice for a beginner. If you don’t have enough players so the beginner can play just one power give them all the minor powers or maybe 2 minor and 1 major(US probably gives the beginner greatest room for error as their VC’s are quite safe and have a large income so they can use most units and learn the rules).

• I am a big fan of giving America to new players….they get a good taste of everything when it comes to game mechanics.  You can instruct them with what to buy and why, and then they can still figure out how to utilize the purchase with a broad strategic outline laid out by the other allied players.  That why they don’t feel overwhelmed and still make lots of choices by themself.  Plus, I always split our game group up by experience as much as possible.  My cousin and I are probably the best A&A players in our circle and we NEVER play on the same side.  I don’t like to see a new guy playing the axis at all, it is much easier for a new guy to react to the axis vs. plan out the initial attacks…

• i started in 07 when i played my friends D-Day game and i liked it so much that i went out and bought the Pacific game. then when i got the Anniversary Edition i started to teach new people how to play. now I’m the proud owner of five A&A games with the 6th coming on the 30th

• I only have the forum and 1 person to play with so I might use yalls tips to teach someone.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m