• 2007 AAR League

i’ve only begun to play with this regular rules again.

i’m an enhanced realism gamer mostly but i dont see how to do that on the net.

but there is one i just think is ghetto for both game variations.  that is America’s superfortress advantage.  i hate that!!!  how can you shoot them down? they just say its impossible, thats rediculous.

• Yeah,

I agree what we did was to put limitations on this we devised a system that works kinda like a golf handicap, based on you game ability. this determines how many NA’s you get if any. Also we decided that you can only use your NA’s so many times in the game.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Are you talking about LHTR National Advantages or OOB National Advantages?  Cause there are MASSIVE differences between them. (For one, LHTR buffed the heck out of the Axis NAs and slightly nerfed the Allied ones.)

• I bet he’s talking about OOB rules.  He got the game a couple days ago.

SEE I TOLD YOU GUYS THAT NOT EVERYONE PLAYS BY LHTR!!!1!!!

zomg!

My opinion on Out Of Box (OOB) National Advantages:  They make the Allies insanely and stupidly powerful.  Not just insane.  Not just stupid.  But insanely stupidly powerful, you know.

Just a few:

1.  Lend-Lease.  Yeah, let me build fighters with UK and US, and maybe a few infantry to fight off enemy invasion.  Suddenly USSR has like 10 fighters around round 3.  What the hell.

2.  Superfortresses.  Oh yeah, invincible US bombers.  Let me try some strat bombing!  Oh wait.  Let me build an assload of bombers, then roll for heavy bombers and strat bomb.  Yeah, that’s it!  Zomgzorz abuse.

3.  Colonial Garrison.  Now I can pop a factory in India.  Which means that I can use it on first turn.  Which means that I now have 3 additional infantry or tanks there at end of UK1.  Which is a huge pain in the ass for Japan.

Most of the other Allied NAs offer stupidly powerful advantages as well.  Mechanized infantry is horribly abusable.  Radar skews the game a lot.  Seriously, most of the Allied NAs are MUCH MUCH better than the crappy Axis NAs.

Japan:  Yeah, I get Banzai.  So now I’m supposed to switch fronts between China, India, and Yakut - how?  Oh wait, I can’t.  Or maybe I can use destroyers to transport my infantry . . . or maybe . . . oh wait, all these NAs SUCK!

Germany:  Yeah, I get Blitzkrieg or whatever that thing is that lets you retreat tanks.  Actually pretty decent.  Not AWESOME, but decent.  The rest - do you REALLY want to build an assload of subs with Germany?  Etc. etc.  Sob.

That’s why I prefer LHTR NAs

You still get some pretty good ones with the allies, but you have to use them in conjunction because as stand alones they royally suck.

Germany gets Artillery and Infantry that defend at a 3 or less.  You think that’s a bad one?  Try invading W. Europe with 20 infantry, 10 artillery there.  Yea. 
    Germany gets Dive Bombers (Attack at 5 or less, add in Jet Power and you can pretty much give up!)
    Germany gets UBoat interdict (this one REALLY sucks for the allies!  8 Submarines = -16 IPC a round from the allies, no risk to Germany!)

• Hey all,

Aside from using diffrent rule sets are there any other ways all y’all limit NA’s?

Yes, generally speaking, I have found that most players roll two dice for each country and then the allies pick 1 nation for ALL the allies (Russia or England or America) and the axis pick 1 for each nation (Germany gets 1 and Japan gets 1.)

That results in 7 NAs for the Allies and 6 NAs for the Axis.  Then there’s the bid for more money/units at start of game.

• 2007 AAR League

I’ve also seen where you just pick the NAs.  Each side gets 6 picks (3ger,3jap v. 2rus,2usa,2uk)
    NAs are fun.  If you’re tired of the “same old AAR,” NAs make the game much more interesting!

Japan:  Lightening strike was replaced with Most Powerful Battleships.  Attack and defend at 5.

• My last three FTF games have been “all-NAs-turned-on-for-all-nations” and I don’t think I’ll ever go back.

~Josh

• I don’t debate that NAs add character.  But I do say that the NAs, particularly the OOB NAs, make the Allies a heck of a lot stronger.

• True… I play LHTR though.  As has been said by someone before - I forget who - , OOB Lend-lease and Superfortresses are stupidly and insanely powerful.

In LHTR, I think that Germany has the best NAs overall, when all nations have all of 'em active.

~Josh

• 2007 AAR League

OOB lightening strike was taken out because that is super powerful.

• @Wazzup:

OOB lightening strike was taken out because that is super powerful.

SUPER powerful, I disagree with.

Best German OOB NA, yeah.  But super powerful, no.

• 2007 AAR League

It was Japans.  And it can wreak havoc.

I’ve never played with all NAs.  I would think that would make the allies incredibly strong, both OOB and LHTR since they’d get 50% more NAs then the Axis. (18 vs 12)

• Try it.

~Josh

• Crazystraw:  that avatar is hilarious!  How’d you do that/find that?

• 2007 AAR League

If someone wants to make a bid for Axis, I’ll play with all NAs.  LHTR style though.  No lightening strike.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m